Anything But a One! Podcast

For all podcast chat

Moderator: TFF Mods

Baduk
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Anything But a One! Podcast

Post by Baduk »

Yeah volume is really killing it (in a bad way) for me. I love the podcast (despite the strategic nonsense) but you really need to do something about the volume. Can't help you with it though, so good luck with that! :orc:

Reason: ''
Twelfman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Twelfman »

Sorry its gotten to crummy chaps :( But message received and understood! From now on I'll make sure the volume is regular to the best of my ability.

Twelfman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Twelfman »

I've compressed the poo out of the latest episode (which I know was particularly heinous!) and have re uploaded it, so it should hopefully sound a lot better!

Merrick
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Merrick »

Is our potential differing levels of mic quality on Skype in regular episodes a concern?

PercyTheTroll
Veteran
Veteran

Post by PercyTheTroll »

Not particularly, although better quality is always better (skype is at least as much to blame as the mic though).

It's only when one person is especially distorted that it's a problem and I've never noticed that in ABAO. If anything the different mic qualities help me distinguish who's who :)

Edit: Have you considered each recording your end of the call and then editing them together? It removes Skype's quality issues from the equation and shouldn't take too long to edit together (Dave and I count down and click our fingers at the same time to make it easy to sync the tracks which sort of works except we're rubbish at timing).

Twelfman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Twelfman »

Potentially. I use a proper handheld microphone, but it always records quietly. You chaps use other mics that are loud, but not of the best quality, and I think Skype makes you all louder to compensate for differences in volume. All of that makes it bloody awkward to level in the mix afterwards! I currently record myself separately and simultaneously to ensure the highest quality, but as I say it's quieter so I have to pump it full of obscene amounts of gain to make it audible. I then have to import the separate Piezo file from Skype and sync it all up, which is particularly annoying if there are cuts to other clips. I do compress it a little, but the problem is the background fuzz that we get from Skype. So I apply a noise gate first, then compress it, then attempt to normalise it (which should make it as loud as possible without causing clipping), but sometimes it all goes buggerup. What also doesn't help is the software I use puts me on the extreme left of the stereo field, and you guys on the extreme right, so I then have to split the interleaved stereo audio file into two separate mono files, THEN reimport them back into the software and attempt to balance the levels again. After all this, the file ends up somewhere between 1.8gb and 3gb, but I can't 'normalise' it if it's over 2gb (for some reason) so I sometimes have to export it, then import it into a different program, export then import again so I can reduce the filesize and thus normalise it. So many nitty gritty bits, so much potential for problems. This doesn't take into consideration any automation in the volume of the tracks that I use when splicing clips recorded from a phone, and this that and the other.

All of which could be resolved if only we all met in the same room to record, but that's too much hassle :lol:
Raveen wrote: Edit: Have you considered each recording your end of the call and then editing them together? It removes Skype's quality issues from the equation and shouldn't take too long to edit together (Dave and I count down and click our fingers at the same time to make it easy to sync the tracks which sort of works except we're rubbish at timing).
I've tried suggesting that already, but one of use records on an iPad so that won't work!

Baduk
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Baduk »

Merrick wrote:Is our potential differing levels of mic quality on Skype in regular episodes a concern?
The quality is only partially the problem for me (the sound is distorted). I think though that the volumes differ too much for me. Despite Alex' tweaking I still tend to turn the volume up and down during your podcast. When he's talking I turn it up and then back down when most of the others talk. I'll check the new version and let you know what I think.

Btw, I love one of you guys' laughter. "Hehehehehe" out loud. I haven't figured out which one it is but it always makes me laugh (in a good way).

PercyTheTroll
Veteran
Veteran

Post by PercyTheTroll »

Sounds like you need a preamp, Trumpkin. Assuming your mic is connecting to a jack socket on your computer. I recently bought a proper mic (with a pop shield and everything, that's how professional I am!) but it's got the option of XLR or USB connections. Using USB means I don't have to worry about a preamp to boost the signal before it reaches the PC.

Merrick
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Merrick »

Baduk wrote:Btw, I love one of you guys' laughter. "Hehehehehe" out loud. I haven't figured out which one it is but it always makes me laugh (in a good way).
That might be me. I have a rather giggly laugh.

Baduk
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Baduk »

Just skipped/listened to parts of it again:

Trumpkin/Alex: sounds perfect (sound wise, not talking about his skill nonsense) :wink:
Matt: sounds somewhat distorted, sound quality seems an issue to me.
Dave: sounds distorted too, probably worse than Matt, especially at the high end.
Merrick: sounds only a little bit distorted I think.

I'll have to check in the car where I have to turn up the volume to see if it's better/good enough.

BTW: I like how you used recordings from BUBBA.

Twelfman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Twelfman »

Baduk wrote:Just skipped/listened to parts of it again:
Trumpkin/Alex: sounds perfect
See, this is why I always defended you Baduk, you're a shining soul of pureness, and no matter what people say-
Baduk wrote:(sound wise, not talking about his skill nonsense) :wink:
nvm, you're going on the list.

Thank you for going back to it, if you could let me know how the overall volumes sound that would be amazing!

Baduk
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Baduk »

:orc: :orc: :orc:

Twelfman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Twelfman »

Here we go! It's Wood Elf time! We're talking Wood Elves, the skills Sprint and Catch, and the stars Willow Rosebark and Jordell Freshbreeze. And of course there's another tasty round of Bloodblusters at the end.

There's also a poll on the website regarding whether you take Sprint then Sure Feet, or Sure Feet then Sprint, and we urge you to go and vote on it (just make sure you choose Sure Feet then Sprint, there's a good chap.)

ImageImageClick here for the post!ImageImage

nightwing
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by nightwing »

Baduk wrote:Just skipped/listened to parts of it again:

Matt: sounds somewhat distorted, sound quality seems an issue to me.
Yeah, that's my bad. I use an iPad for Skype because my PC is an archaic piece of crap which refuses to run Skype... or anything else :(

However! I will be (finally!) getting a new computer at the end of the month, which hopefully should help. When my computer wouldn't run Football Manager anymore? Yeah, it had to go :D

Scrumpy Scramble (2017), Foul Bowl 2016, SAWBBowl 2017- International Glowworm Award
Auld World Masters 2017- Most Casualties
Chimera Cup 2017- Most Touchdowns
PercyTheTroll
Veteran
Veteran

Post by PercyTheTroll »

I've just listened to your Necro episode and it seems that Skype hates you. You could consider an alternative like Mumble or Teamspeak.

Our league uses Mumble for our voice coms whilst playing Cyanide and there's a recording option that we've used from time to time. It outputs each person to a separate file which'll make mixing easier and is fairly simple to set up. I think there's even an iOS app for it.

You have to pay for the server but for a test I'm sure you could use ours and see how it goes.