Captaincy election: See new post for how to apply for TE 2024

Moderators: Purplegoo, TFF Mods

Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Captaincy election: See new post for how to apply for TE 2024

Post by Purplegoo »

Hi all,

At noon today (30-Oct-23), voting will open for the position of 2024 Team England captain. The poll will be open for one week.

In order to cast your vote, you must PM Mike Davies / Sann0638 via 'Private messages' in the top ribbon of this forum. Please title your PM 'TE vote' or similar and complete the following sample text as the body of your message: My NAF name is [insert NAF name] and I vote for [insert either KFoged or PeteW, or state 'neither'].

To be eligible to vote, you must be an English NAF member and have played a NAF tournament in the 12 months prior to voting.

Some quick guidance / FAQs below, but otherwise, happy voting! The winner will be announced below as soon after noon as life allows on 06-Nov-23.

Phil.

Q: Why include 'neither' as an option?
A: Historically, we have found that some voters want to show that they are engaged with the process but they have no preferred candidate. That's OK.

Q: I'm having trouble logging into TFF to send a message. What can I do?
A: Contact Lunchmoney on the NAF Discord (or poke me to do it for you). In the event you're still struggling by midweek, we'll sort out an alternative means of counting your vote.

Q: Why run the voting this way? Seems laborious?
A: There are probably better technological methods available to run elections like these, but for now this is what we have. We want voting to be anonymous, we want to ensure only eligible people are voting and we want to dissuade manipulation of a simple forum poll. It is also useful for the returning officer to have no vested interest in who wins.

Q: Are you strict about only the above text being permissible?
A: If it's obvious what you're trying to communicate, we'll accept your vote. No vote will be discounted because, for example, you included a rogue capital letter.

Q: Are you strict about when votes arrive?
A: I'm sure we won't be so pedantic as to throw out votes that arrive at 11:59 am this morning, but we'll be strict about the deadline of noon on 06-Nov-23. Your vote will not be counted, but you will be charged, as Ant and Dec will doubtlessly want me to remind you.

Reason: ''
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Re: 2024 Captaincy election: How to vote

Post by lunchmoney »

Purplegoo wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:06 am Q: I'm having trouble logging into TFF to send a message. What can I do?
A: Contact Lunchmoney on the NAF Discord....
I can also be poked by email lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Quick note - I won't reply to every vote, because (predictably) TFF is quite annoying. If a message is gone from your Outbox to Sent, it means that it's been seen and recorded.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
lemf
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lemf »

Top Ribbon??????

Cheers
Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

Er… The narrow, horizontal bit at the top with the PM link in it. I thought that was called a ribbon, but if it isn’t, apologies.

I propose ‘Lemf’s area of extreme account, notification and communication satisfaction’ and hope this name is adopted internet-wide.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Hi all,
results as follows:

Kfoged 52
PeteW 14
Neither 1

There were 2 votes on Discord which were not then duplicated on TFF, but all other votes were through here.

Congrats to Kfoged!

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Re: 2024 Captaincy election: KFoged wins!

Post by Purplegoo »

Congratulations to Kare and commiserations to Pete; thanks to both for engaging with a fun campaign. Thanks as well to Mike for collating the votes.

For those wondering what is next, from the ‘Upcoming TE Business’ thread:

..If the changes to the charter are successfully voted through [they were], the qualification period for the 2024 team will change and we recognise this may unfairly exclude some who haven’t played much since May and intend to be active in Q1. In this instance, we will relax the 25 non-variant game objective selection criteria.

Lastly, TE will be selected. Assuming the changes to the charter are not controversial, the captain will be invited to set out their method and timeline for selecting the Eurobowl coaches by the end of 2023. The committee (including the captain) will select the EurOpen coaches according to the same timeline.

PeteW
Super Star
Super Star

Post by PeteW »

Congrats Kare! I'm sure you will do a super job, with a tricky ruleset!

Thanks to the community for my 4 years as captain (is that a record?!).

NAFC 2014. Glowworm: "PeteW is definitely hotter than Lunchmoney."
KFoged
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by KFoged »

I'm truly humbled by the result of the Team England captaincy election and I'm very proud to be trusted to pick the team for EuroBowl in Greece next year.

I'm super happy for the election itself and the support I have gotten from the community, but even more proud and happy to see the increased engagement in the process and voting! So thank you to every English coach that has made the effort to vote!

Thanks to PeteW for a brilliant Q&A and he would for sure be part of the team in the process of picking the team for Greece.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Grats to Kare.

How does that turnout compare to previous votes? 67 votes seems a lot to me, which would be good :)

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

The previous record was 40-odd. While the increase is fantastic, we have also had some favourable tailwinds. So we won't rest on our laurels!

TheFear
Experienced
Experienced

Post by TheFear »

PeteW - congrats on 4 years of captaincy, a steady hand through the choppy waters of COVID and all that. I'm sure your time will come again (if you wish it too).

Kfoged - also congrats. A huge challenge but one that I'm sure that you will rise too with your customary good humour and determination.

I especially think you are both to be applauded for having the courage to take the captaincy Q&A onto TV for the first time..I thought you dealt with that whole thing (including some vicious questions) very well.

The huge (in percentage terms) uplift in votes, already begins to suggest the beginnings of a more engaged community.

Let's hope that continues.

The King is Dead. Long live the King.

Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

If anyone missed the second TE newsletter via the mailing list or social media comms, please find it behind the below link. This issue contains all the information you need to apply to be part of Team England in Greece next year.

https://mailchi.mp/45226f037729/tebb_newsletter