2020 passing questions

Moderator: TFF Mods

rmunn
Rookie
Rookie

Re: 2020 passing questions

Post by rmunn »

For anyone reading this on a text-only device, the images in lunchmoney's two posts say the following:

1. Wildly Inaccurate Passes: If a Pass action is modified to a 1, but not a natural 1, then it's a wildly inaccurate pass. But what happens if it's modified below 1? We've clarified this to explain that if the Pass action is modified below 1, then it's still a wildly inaccurate pass.

2. Q: If a player with a PA of 1+ scores a 1 for Passing Ability test, after modifiers have been applied, is this still an Accurate pass? (p. 29) A: Yes.

A simple rule of thumb to remember is to resolve the rules in the order of Fumble, Accurate, Wildly Inaccurate, Inaccurate. In other words: Natural 1 trumps everything. Then success trumps both of the Inaccurate results. Then Wildly Inaccurate trumps Inaccurate, and finally Inaccurate is the result that happens if no other result's rules apply.

Reason: ''
odinsgrandson
Veteran
Veteran

Post by odinsgrandson »

rmunn wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:58 am For anyone reading this on a text-only device, the images in lunchmoney's two posts say the following:

1. Wildly Inaccurate Passes: If a Pass action is modified to a 1, but not a natural 1, then it's a wildly inaccurate pass. But what happens if it's modified below 1? We've clarified this to explain that if the Pass action is modified below 1, then it's still a wildly inaccurate pass.

2. Q: If a player with a PA of 1+ scores a 1 for Passing Ability test, after modifiers have been applied, is this still an Accurate pass? (p. 29) A: Yes.

A simple rule of thumb to remember is to resolve the rules in the order of Fumble, Accurate, Wildly Inaccurate, Inaccurate. In other words: Natural 1 trumps everything. Then success trumps both of the Inaccurate results. Then Wildly Inaccurate trumps Inaccurate, and finally Inaccurate is the result that happens if no other result's rules apply.
It sounds to me like the rules writer didn't realize how many of these circumstances you could fulfill at the same time, and the GW playtesters are so used to GW rules that they didn't even think about it.

(I remember the old Mordheim book took most of its rules from Warhammer Fantasy, but forgot to include the "1 is always a miss." So if you have a high enough BS you'd have to argue about whether a 1 was a miss or hit).

TopsyKretts
Experienced
Experienced

Post by TopsyKretts »

odinsgrandson wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:07 pm (I remember the old Mordheim book took most of its rules from Warhammer Fantasy, but forgot to include the "1 is always a miss." So if you have a high enough BS you'd have to argue about whether a 1 was a miss or hit).
The same was done for new Necromunda (2017+), but I think it was fixed after a while.
Edit: Actually, I think the first rulebook (2017) had the rule for "1 is always miss", but was later omitted in later rulebooks (2018 & 2019).

odinsgrandson
Veteran
Veteran

Post by odinsgrandson »

That sounds right.

I never noticed when something like that was missing if I played only against people who play other GW games. I discovered the omission when I played against a guy who only played Mordhiem.

The older 40k rules also had rules for hitting on a 7-9 on the dice (it required a second roll to hit of 4+,5+or 6+ after rolling a 6 to hit). I think that was left out of the original Necromunda.

Madsherman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Madsherman »

Did I miss it somewhere or is Wildly Inaccurate worse than a fumble? I don't have access to the rulebook (yet), but AFAIK a WI pass would probably land in a much worse place than a fumble? At least a fumble is in my throwers (and maybe one more ballmarkers') tackle zone. Is a WI pass not a turnover anymore if it lands on the ground? Can I keep playing my turn like the new fumblerooski rule?

"Accept the fact that you're already dead. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a halfling is supposed to function: without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All depends upon it." -Ronyld Spïers
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Yes, Wildly Inaccurate can be worse than a fumble.

Whilst the WI pass itself isn't a Turnover the, very likely part where no player on the active team catches the ball after a Pass action or Hand-Off action is a Turnover.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Madsherman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Madsherman »

Ugh, that's horrible. I liked that there at least was a slim chance of a passing game for the teams that were good at it. I liked that there was a small counter to bash. In general I just think lrb6 did so well. Yes the newer pa and armor stats are better, but I think there needs to be a counter to the "kill all , worry 'bout ball later"-mentality. I mean, c'mon... it's starting to look like a melee skirmish game. -Sincerely, the guy who has painted up a cute high elf teamfor play with nowhere to go.

"Accept the fact that you're already dead. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a halfling is supposed to function: without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All depends upon it." -Ronyld Spïers
Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

Armor stat is just different way to express same probabilities. Or do you mean something else?

Pa was used to make a lot of players worse at passing (if not directly uncapable). Only throwers kept the same probabilities or, in a handful cases, improved by 1, before taking into account some errors are trully "wild". IOW, kill the throwers early to neutralize passing for sure, and keep on killing.

Madsherman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Madsherman »

Oh in regards to armor and pa (and AG) I just mean the streamlining works for me. It’s cleaner with the 4+ instead of cross referencing stats w one table, adding a +1 for a clean catch etc.