Scatter

Moderator: TFF Mods

TopsyKretts
Experienced
Experienced

Scatter

Post by TopsyKretts »

Slightly confused by how "scatter" is defined.

Page 20 (Random Direction Template): "This template is used whenever the ball ‘scatters’, ‘bounces’ or ‘deviates’..."
Page 25: "Throughout the rules, reference will be made to the ball ‘deviating’, ‘scattering’ or ‘bouncing’, and it is worth establishing early on what is meant by each of these terms:"

So when the ball (or thrown player or bomb) is moving randomly, it can do so in one of 3 ways: scatter, bounce or deviate. All good so far. But now, read closely the rules for Throw Team-mate.

Page 52: " Unlike a Pass action, a Throw Team-mate action that is not fumbled will always scatter before landing."

But the result of throwing a player are the following:
- Suberb: Scatter
- Successful: Scatter
- Terrible: Deviate
- Fumbled: Bounce

So it will NOT always scatter? Or is this usage of the word "scatter" a group term? Ie. scatter = scatter, bounce & deviate?

Reason: ''
Papa Sebco
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: Scatter

Post by Papa Sebco »

TopsyKretts wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:55 pm Slightly confused by how "scatter" is defined.

Page 20 (Random Direction Template): "This template is used whenever the ball ‘scatters’, ‘bounces’ or ‘deviates’..."
Page 25: "Throughout the rules, reference will be made to the ball ‘deviating’, ‘scattering’ or ‘bouncing’, and it is worth establishing early on what is meant by each of these terms:"

So when the ball (or thrown player or bomb) is moving randomly, it can do so in one of 3 ways: scatter, bounce or deviate. All good so far. But now, read closely the rules for Throw Team-mate.

Page 52: " Unlike a Pass action, a Throw Team-mate action that is not fumbled will always scatter before landing."

But the result of throwing a player are the following:
- Suberb: Scatter
- Successful: Scatter
- Terrible: Deviate
- Fumbled: Bounce

So it will NOT always scatter? Or is this usage of the word "scatter" a group term? Ie. scatter = scatter, bounce & deviate?
Acording to me, that is a type. They should have written "Unlike a Pass action, a Throw Team-mate action that is not fumbled will always scatter OR DEVIATE before landing."

TopsyKretts
Experienced
Experienced

Post by TopsyKretts »

Yeah that makes sense, but just found another example:

Page 54 (Crash Landing): "Once the scatter has been resolved, the player will bounce (as if they were a ball) from the square they land in."

Again, the player may bounce, scatter or deviate (depending on the quality of the throw). I get the feeling scatter is interchangeably used as a group term for all types of random movement (bounce, scatter, deviate).

Saebelsultan
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Saebelsultan »

Scatter is what the ball does in the air and bounce is what the ball does on the ground (or on your 2nd example the Stunty).
For your first example they should have added "Unlike a Pass action, a successfulThrow Team-mate action that is not fumbled will always scatter before landing."

"This game is too good not to be played!" - Coach Pauli
Blood Bowl Beginner Kit
Saebelsultan's BB Dugouts
TopsyKretts
Experienced
Experienced

Post by TopsyKretts »

Saebelsultan wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:21 pm Scatter is what the ball does in the air and bounce is what the ball does on the ground (or on your 2nd example the Stunty).
For your first example they should have added "Unlike a Pass action, a successfulThrow Team-mate action that is not fumbled will always scatter before landing."
Thanks, that makes sense. I assume Deviate is also something the "thing" (ball/bomb/thrown player) does in the air.

Saebelsultan
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Saebelsultan »

Yes, that's how I read it.

"This game is too good not to be played!" - Coach Pauli
Blood Bowl Beginner Kit
Saebelsultan's BB Dugouts
lyetownmax
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lyetownmax »

I've also been confused by the term Scatter in the new rulebook, in my case, in relation to the Changing weather result on the kick-off table.

I don't have the book to hand but I know it says that if you have Changing weather as a kick-off result, and the result of the new weather roll is 4-10 (normal, fine etc), the ball will "Scatter."

Under the 2016 rules that would mean it scattered one extra square before bouncing. However, given that "Scatter" has now been officially defined as referring to three scatter rolls, am I correct in thinking Changing weather+normal weather now means the ball will have three scatter rolls before bouncing?

That would mean the Kick skill has potentially become a little less reliable.

What are the community's thoughts? Have I interpreted the new rule correctly?

Jayward
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Jayward »

You have indeed. In those circumstances Changing Weather results in three rolls of the d8.

Smooth seas never made a skilled sailor
lyetownmax
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lyetownmax »

Thanks Jayward, this was a bone of contention at my first tournament, albeit one amicably enough resolved.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

lyetownmax wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:48 am am I correct in thinking Changing weather+normal weather now means the ball will have three scatter rolls before bouncing?
That is correct.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

This is why capitals, italics and bold are used in good rulebooks.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler