What skills Ball & Chain 'cannot have' when selecting random skill?

Moderator: TFF Mods

jawCross
Rookie
Rookie

What skills Ball & Chain 'cannot have' when selecting random skill?

Post by jawCross »

The Goblin team has Fanatic who is committing Blocks during 'Ball & Chain Move’ Special action so he could easily get Star Player points and one day eventually level up. (correct this far?)

He will get Strength as a primary, so if he decide to take random skill what Skills he can get? Wording from rulebook "re-rolling if the player already has that Skill or if they roll a Skill they cannot have". Is cannot have same than cannot use?

[edit]
Now I found correct Errata
Q: What happens if a player rolls a random Skill and gains
one that they could take, but cannot actually use? Such as if a
player with the No Hands trait gained the Catch skill. (p.74)
A: In these instances, roll again until they gain a Skill they
could actually use.
[/edit]

All Strength skills:
Arm bar: yes
Brawler: yes (this player is always making Block actions not Blitzing)
Break tackle: yes? (this would be useless as no need to Dodge, but technically he is still Dodging: "passes any Agility tests they may be required to make in order to Dodge")
Grab: no, (this is forbidden by B&C)
Guard: yes
Juggernaut: no? (This player can't make a Blitz)
Mighty Blow: yes
Stand Firm: yes
Strong Arm: no (no throw team-mate)
Thick Skull: no? (can't use because Stunned => KO)
Multiple Block: no, (this is forbidden by B&C)
Pile Driver: no? (this player can't commit Foul action)

---
This player also could save SPPs for (random) secondary General/Agility. This time also 'No Hands' trait can affect ("They may not attempt to pick it up, to catch it, or attempt to interfere with a pass").

So what from Agility he 'can have':
Catch: no (from errata)
Diving Catch: no (from errata)
Diving Tackle: no (this is forbidden by B&C)
Dodge: yes (not for Dodging but when blocked)
Defensive: yes
Jump Up: no? (can't ever been Prone)
Leap: no (this is forbidden by B&C)
Safe pair of hands: no? (can't ever posses the ball)
Sidestep: yes
Sneaky git: no? (can't make Foul action)
Sprint: yes
Sure Feet: yes

-
And why not to list General skills also:
Block: yes
Dauntless: yes
Dirty Player: no? (can't foul)
Fend: yes
Frenzy: no (this is forbidden by B&C)
Kick: yes
Pro: yes
Shadowing: no (this is forbidden by B&C)
Strip Ball: yes
Sure Hands: no? (can't pickup)
Tackle: yes
Wrestle: yes

What You think?
[edit]
Here is also same kind of discussion: https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphp ... ic&t=31974
Like Iron Hard Skin mutation on player AV<8.

And: https://fumbbl.com/p/bugs?id/718
They think that Ball & Chain with Pile Driver can make Foul Action, because it is side-effect of Block action. And after Ball & Chain has Pile Driver he can also have Dirty Player or Sneaky Git.
[/edit]

Reason: ''
Banzivar
Rookie
Rookie

Re: What skills Ball & Chain 'cannot have' when selecting random skill?

Post by Banzivar »

Very keen to get the Iron Hard Skin question definitively answered as my Skaven would love random mutations but getting that would really suck.

I agree with their line of reasoning that AV8+ can't get it until they get an AV increase, from their view that a B&C can't get Sneaky Git or Dirty Player until they get Pile Driver. Equally a player with Throw Teammate couldn't get Strong Arm if they had a Strength reduction to below 5 until they get their strength back up again. But then maybe I'm biased in to wanting to remove IHS from my randoms haha.

Athanatos
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Athanatos »

Can he actually use Dauntless? He's S7 and nothing is higher, its even a 1D block on Deeproot.

Maybe it would need to wait until he has a Strength reduction

Banzivar
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Banzivar »

Maximum strength possible is 8 so there is the (very unlikely) potential for an opponent to be higher. If they had a strength increase I would say they couldn't get dauntless but otherwise you'd have to check against all teams currently in the league (or something similar?) which seems to be going too far, especially if you then consider other skills like defensive is useless if no one in the league has guard yet, or tackle if no one has dodge.

Papa Sebco
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Papa Sebco »

Interesting topic. I've just discovered it.

I've already sent twice the question about Piledriver to GW for their FAQ (once for their may 2022 FAQ, once for their november 2022 FAQ) but had no answer.

I've seen FUMBBL accepted it (one of my goblin fanatic got it.. and never used it :D) but I'm not completely convinced about their position.

torquemada
Rookie
Rookie

Post by torquemada »

jawCross wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:36 pm
Break tackle: yes? (this would be useless as no need to Dodge, but technically he is still Dodging: "passes any Agility tests they may be required to make in order to Dodge")
I'd say strictly RAW yes for the reasons you've given, but you'd have to be a cruel cruel TO/Commissioner to enforce that.
Pile Driver: no? (this player can't commit Foul action)
Here I disagree. The Ball and Chain skill does not say you cannot ever Foul, just that "When this player is activated, the only action they may perform is a "Ball and Chain Move" special action". To me, this does not specifically prevent you from using Pile Driver, as the Foul action that allows is a bonus action and not a normal activation action. I would say there's even a decent argument to use it on occasion - if I know the opponent is about to score and I have no bribes left, might as well lose him to a foul instead of just having him sent off as normal. Still not a great pick but hey!

To me, this means that these:
Sneaky git: no? (can't make Foul action)
Dirty Player: no? (can't foul)
are also potentially yes. If the player already has PD (for some reason) then definitely yes. If they don't, that's trickier. Only equivalent I can think of is that a player with PA - would not be able to take passing skills, but if their PA improved to 6+ they then could (can't think of any actual examples where this would occur in the game at the moment though). So I'd say SG/DP can only be random results if the player already has PD.