DNS Problems

Moderator: TFF Mods

Chairface
Da Fig Finda

Post by Chairface »

This is frustrating. Having no problems getting on at the library, but home is not working.

Reason: ''
http://www.impactminiatures.com
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Have either of you tried the instructions Jaylazer outlined?

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

If you've got a proxy server on your LAN that controls access to the outside world then JayLazer's instructions won't make any difference since its that machine that can't resolve the domain name, not yours.

Anyway, access for me isn't an issue anymore since
a) I changed jobs
b) I have no time to surf the internet at work (or even read emails, or do anything non-work :()

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Chairface
Da Fig Finda

Post by Chairface »

jaylazer wrote:With the help of the System Admins here at my work I found a pretty simple work around (for Windows XP at least).

edit the file C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\etc\hosts

after the line that looks like this:
127.0.0.1 localhost

add this line
81.168.2.123 www.talkbloodbowl.com

Basically, this just tells your PC what IP address to use without it having to go look it up.
Excuse my lack of tech savy, but WHERE do I edit the file? I'm really pretty clueless. :oops:

http://www.impactminiatures.com
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Look in the path C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\etc\hosts (you may need to unhide all files in Explorer: Tools/Folder Options/View/Show Hidden Files and Folders).

Open the file with Notepad (or similar - not Word!), add in the line
81.168.2.123 www.talkbloodbowl.com
and re-save the file.

Remember to hide all the folders again (same operation as before).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
bluetooth
Star Player
Star Player

Post by bluetooth »

I still cannot access the TBB site from home. I even got my ISP work it out why TBB site doesn't answer in their network. It seems clear that there are some settings done wrong on the TBB server.

I even tried the "81.168.2.123 www.talkbloodbowl.com" hint but it didn't help. I guess I just have to accept the fact that I can't visit the site via home :(

Nuffle Sucks!
Superior Heretic
Nuffle Blasphemer's Association
Winner of [url=http://www.hattrick.org/Common/default.asp]Hattrick[/url] Talk Blood Bowl Cup V, VI and VII
Babs
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Babs »

To be able to solve the problem I had to change ISP's. That's right - I actually went to the effort of cancelling with one Internet Service Provider, and signing up with another, for the sheer reason that one of them couldn't resolve TBB - and the other could. 8)

So now I'm with a new ISP and I don't have to keep scheduling trips to the library to use the internet! :P

It seems that lots of people in Australia are having problems with TBB - Ozjesting is another. I think that some DNS resolutions problems are still happening. I've PM'd JohnnyP about it.

=-) Babs (crotchety old, washed up has-been)
ex-BBRC member
ex-NAF AUS/NZ Tournament organiser

Make sure you have read the Feudball Novel.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Ah, the dedication of your average TBB member. ;) :lol:

Caelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Caelwyn »

I was having them, now (mysteriously) i'm not. I didn't change ISPs i didn't call them. I didn't do anything.

darthvincor
Veteran
Veteran

Post by darthvincor »

Babs wrote:...

It seems that lots of people in Australia are having problems with TBB - Ozjesting is another. I think that some DNS resolutions problems are still happening. I've PM'd JohnnyP about it.
And, what did he say?

I also still can't access the site. (also in Oz, btw)
So now I'm accessing the site through a vpn connection to a computer in Europe.

Obviously something has changed, since this problem began. Does anyone know what changed? On the tbb server, or tbb isp, or Australian isps?

Anyway, it's nice to connect to the site again after about a year. :)

Babs
Super Star
Super Star

TBB frustrations continue!

Post by Babs »

Since around the hosting changes - I have been unable to connect to TBB for about a month, because it simply cannot find Talkbloodbowl.com. That's right - it simply comes up with no website. As you can see from previous posts - I had to change companies for my ISP in order to get to TBB before - and now my new ISP is doing the same thing! It is no better at work - and yet other people can get on (I am at my parents in law right now).

This is an incredibly frustrating experience. Back when I posted before I was basically told 'change ISP's or too bad'. Now I'm getting it again. No otehr website i know has this problem - why TBB?

It is s annoying as I thoroughly enjoy contrinuting and participating on TBB and have done so for a very long time. Can _something_ _please_ be done about this so I can get on my ISP?

And he ISP at my work and the ISP from home are completely different. There are probably a whole horde of would be TBB posters who are experiencing this same problem.

P.S. I use XP at work and Win98 at home. (Don't laugh - it means' I'm pretty much virus proof now :) )

=-) Babs (crotchety old, washed up has-been)
ex-BBRC member
ex-NAF AUS/NZ Tournament organiser

Make sure you have read the Feudball Novel.
Cramy
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Cramy »

Although I have never had the above problems, I know of many people that have Babs problem. They would love to access and contribute to TBB, but they can't from home or from work. I think that "fixing" this would allow many BB enthousiasts to participate in this Forum. It is by far the best BB forum around (IMO), and I find it disapointing that some people cannot access it.

My 2 cents ...

Cramy