Closing Down

Moderator: TFF Mods

MentalFS
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MentalFS »

lunchmoney wrote:the site no longer is bloodbowl.net. it changed to thenaf.net a couple of weeks ago.
The link should probably be changed in the LRB6.0 then ;)

Reason: ''
shaniepoo
Party Boy

Post by shaniepoo »

lunchmoney wrote:
shaniepoo wrote:So what is going to happen to the NAF website, will that be getting closed down to as we pay membership and the site has 'bloodbowl' in it's title?
the site no longer is bloodbowl.net. it changed to thenaf.net a couple of weeks ago.
Ah, thanks. Havent had net access for a while so didnt know.

The Cutlery King - Winner of 6 Wooden spoons... and proud of each one! :D
PubBowler
Legend
Legend

Post by PubBowler »

This is rubbish.

Are they also going after PBEM and Java based BB sites?

Team Scotland Record:
EuroBowl 2009: 3-2-1

Gimmicks>Shennanigans>Everything Else
Andrew from Cheadle
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Andrew from Cheadle »

Whilst I respect Jonny's decsion there are all sorts of reasons why any potential legal action by GW woudl not get very far...

...hopefully someone else can take up the batton...

...I might not use this site as much as some but I would still miss it.

Thanks for running it for the last few years that I have been using it.

Andrew

It is better to keep quiet and have people think you are an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...
Lycos
Da Ex-Boss

Post by Lycos »

Well I would like to add my thanks to JohnnyP as well, you have given us a great site and long may it continue.

Of course, this can continue, I am a bit worried that some think GW are closing it down which is not the case. As NAF boss we have had the same process and now changed to www.thenaf.net so if Doubleskulls can set up a new domain name, TBB can just carry on as normal.

The community at large owes you much thanks though JP, good work but as your post in another thread revealed, other things are more important and you have done a great deal for all of us.

Dave

TFF mod team
Grim Reaper
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Grim Reaper »

THANKS JP FOR AN AWESOME SITE, I hope it can live on in some form....

Teams--
Squigsburg Steel'AZ - orc Season 1 EIBBL CHAMPIONS
Da' NutCrush'az - dwarf tournament team
Imfamous VooDoo - skaven
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

MentalFS wrote:
lunchmoney wrote:the site no longer is bloodbowl.net. it changed to thenaf.net a couple of weeks ago.
The link should probably be changed in the LRB6.0 then ;)
Ah ... right ... I'll get on that.

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
kadu-c
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by kadu-c »

That's really sad. I can find no words for that... :cry:

Many thanks for everything JohnnyP !

Play Beach Bowl !!! :D (LRB 6 update)

NAF World Cup 2007 3rd place team
EuroBowl 2010 French Captain
Marco Gianni
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Marco Gianni »

The show must go on Mister JohnnyP ! :)

What about calling the site saynomore.com ? :smoking:

Is there anybody registered in this forum who's working for GW and who could explain us this brilliant business strategy ?
:?:

Co-organizer of RUGBOWL
Results 2010
Pics

NAF WC Team Champion (Les Azes)
Individual Runner up
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

the bloodbowl trademark registration is up for renewal soon afaik so they were told to watch out for infringements

if they don't then they could lose the trademark

simple business any of us would do the same, though if it was my business I would have done it years ago ;]

Powerhausen
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Powerhausen »

I wouldn't hold it against GW in the context of "the ones responsible for the game", it's a large company and I doubt game designers have much to do with what the legal dept. does.

However, they are being very heavy handed. And Blood Bowl wouldn't have nearly the following it does now, if it weren't for the grassroot support it gets, from sites like this.

So thanks for the site, I'm a relativly new user but I found it immensely informative.

Pug
Legend
Legend

Post by Pug »

I agree it's a bit heavy handed from a "Absentee Landlord", who have supported it most through the years, their strangled dribble of miniatures - repeats mostly. Or mainly us, the Blood Bowl (Ha! C&D that!) community?????

A belated thanks from myself to JohnnyP for his effort in keeping the forum running for so long.

"We'll meet agaaaain!
Don't know wherrrrre,
Don't know wheeeen,

But I know we'll meet again,
Some sunny DAAAAAAY!.................."

:smoking:

"In Dodge We Trust"
omnimutant
Experienced
Experienced

Post by omnimutant »

I wish GW would Just dump Blood Bowl all together at this point. They only hurt the hobby anyway by selling out of date mini packages that don't even correlate to the rules currently in effect. No to mention constantly raising their prices and hampering Blood Bowl at every turn. I'm so sick of GW and their Lame tactics. Greed Woorkshop better wake up one day because they do this with Warhammer sites too. It's best not to piss off the very community that has kept you alive for so many years.

I wish the best for whatever become of this site and it's new incarnation. It's always been my favorite of all the Blood Bowl resources and you always know you can run into some BBRC members here to help settle things. It's just so damn sad...

I wonder how much it would cost to take over Blood Bowl operations from GW? Maybe I'll win the lottery next week and buy them out...

Thanks GW for stabbing us in the Back yet again, for making you filthy rich of your half assed, unimaginative products design for the sole purpose of separating wallet from consumer and nothing more.

daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Post by daloonieshaman »

I wonder how much it would cost to take over Blood Bowl operations from GW? Maybe I'll win the lottery next week and buy them out...
$Millions$

If say 6000 BB members decided to form a CO-OP it would take anywhere from $500-$1000 (or more) each to buy BB from GW. You would have to collect the money without GW finding out as it would ruin negotiations (they would just jack up the price).

The cost would never be recovered unless there was some outrageous explosion of new players (must also consider production and administration cost) say 50,000- 90,000 to even get anywhere near to breaking even. (unless everyone just wants to own the game) Also what so you do if someone wants out, how do you deal with uneven shares.

The cost is all about interest in buying the game/rights, ect. Then you have the whole IP problem and other rights/contracts with other companies/creators to consider.

2014 Chaos Cup Stunty Cup
McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

I've not been active for a while but i'm truly saddened by this, if it hadnt been for Talkbb then i'd never have got back intot his game and met as many of you face to face as i have, its been a great ride, and GW should really be fairly ashamed of treating its fan base like this.

Thx Johnny and all the admns for the time and effort over the years

Mcd

McDeth,
"Can't Sleep Clowns will eat me"

"Who's that Reverend Green??"