No Preference
30%

Total votes: 46

Asariel
Experienced
Experienced

vbulletin/phpBB3

Post by Asariel »

I know phpBB3 is set to come in, and it's always an uphill battle to shift the status quo, but I was wondering if vbulletin would also be up for consideration now the site is 'moving forward' so to speak and an upgrade is on the cards. PhpBB3 has certainly taken a step forward, especially with the security issues that plagued older versions, but I'm still a vbulletin fan, even moreso once a forum begins to reach a large size. Just wondering if there are others out there who prefer it.

I'd assume (hope) the price wouldn't be a problem if folk donated towards the cost (nominal for a large site and in the long term), I certainly would anyway. I also know there's a subscription hack/mod out there that would work better to support upkeep for the site on a long term basis rather than a donation button, works well for other sites I frequent. (though there must be something like that for PhpBB3, even if the mod community for it is smaller). Something for another/later thread that though once the dust settles.

Thoughts?

Reason: ''
Tim
Da Tulip Champ II

Post by Tim »

phpBB3 as it's free, very well supported and works fine.

"In NUFFLE we trust!" - Retired Inquisitor of Nuffle.
Father of the Halfling Scribe
Admin of the Kurpfalz Cup
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

phpbb3, if only because it's what I'm used to.
Otherwise, couldn't care less, as long as it's not the software GW used on their old forums (which I can't remember! :oops:).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

vbulletin, I even offered to host the new site using my licence, but that option was ignored...

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

The option wasn't ignored, you were. ;)

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Dave
Info Ed

Post by Dave »

'looked over' is more precise .. lol

JenniRP70
Da Ex-Boss

Post by JenniRP70 »

Nobody was ignored, there was just more support for migrating to this site and in the timescales provided it couldn't go to a vote.

I've voted phpBB3 simply because I've always considered it to be one of the best open source projects around for free and quality software.

Snotling Championship League Commisioner
[url]http://www.bloodbowl.co.uk[/url]

Da Boss of TalkBloodBowl.com
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

Thanks for the reply, it was the fact you said you would be replying to the offers and I contacted you before any of the other threads went up after your initial announcement.

After not hearing any response certainly seemed like it was ignored. Obviously it was your site and could choose to do with it as you wished but vbulletin is better than phpbb (hence having to pay for it) and I could have had it up in a matter of minutes if the database at been sent.

Either way despite the horrible new domain name the forum is running a lot faster now and the slowdown that has been going on for months has been sorted out.

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

I voted no preference.

I really like vbulletin, but having to pay for it is going to be an issue IMO. Donations can't be relied on.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Post by daloonieshaman »

easy G
you have to keep to things known and understood for the simple folk in charge

2014 Chaos Cup Stunty Cup