59%
Humans
41%

Total votes: 56

inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Should i play humans?

Post by inkpwn »

Being the indisisive person that i am i cant seem to pick a team to settle with.
So yet again im asking for tips on another team, the balanced brady bunch of blood bowl the humans.
For a 1.1 million starting roster i was thinking of:
The Ogre (going to be represented by the giant squig Gobbla from the snarsnick lord of the eight peaks miniature :D )

4x Blitzers

2xThrowers

2xCatchers

3x lineman

4x rerolls
Apothecary
0 Fan factor

For 1.1 (not to sure on my math there, please correct me if im wrong)

Any advice, tactics, tips or curse words?

Reason: ''
Ulthuan_Express
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Should i play humans?

Post by Ulthuan_Express »

The Ogre, 4x Blitzers, 2x Catchers, 1x Thrower & 3x Lineman is about as solid a start as Humans can manage, but beware deaths and MNG in your first match. Bash through the AG teams and Pass around the Bash teams.

I'm not exactly sold on the giant squig model as an ogre, though, but hey it's your team.

(oh and you need BBcode url tags rather than HTML a-href tags for links on this forum)

@sibrady on Twitter. Everywhere else I'm Starblayde.
Commish of the PWCBBL in Burton, UK. Also visit my Blog, for all things geeky, including Blood Bowl.
Teams: Dead and Gooners (Undead) • The Hart Perversion (Chaos Pact)
inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

Im using gobbla because i love the model but hate Goblins in Warhammer fantasy and that im also not sold on the actual bloodbowl ogre.

Ulthuan_Express
Star Player
Star Player

arthurinkpen wrote:Im using gobbla because i love the model but hate Goblins in Warhammer fantasy and that im also not sold on the actual bloodbowl ogre.
Ah, there are tons of Ogre models available. My Human team uses a Heresy Deathball Ogre, who even fits on a 25mm base (with a washer underneath for balance). There are the Ogres in the Ogre team, the plastic WFB Ogres are quite easily chopped into BB players. Then there's stuff Impact offers, or dozens of other mini companies ;)

Squigball is a whole different kettle of fish!

EDIT: My quick, unchecked maths has you at 1,180,000 - I think it's the extra Thrower that's doing it. Looking at your players, re-rolls and an apoth that seems way more than I got at 1.1M.

Commish of the PWCBBL in Burton, UK. Also visit my Blog, for all things geeky, including Blood Bowl.
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

think I might start with 1 thrower and an extra lineman

who are you going to put on the LOS if one gets KO, or even more than one which will still be an issue when you start with four rather than three linos

besters
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by besters »

I tend to put one of the Throwers on LOS if I'm short of linemen.

Not sure how good an idea it is though.

nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

Ulthuan Express wrote:EDIT: My quick, unchecked maths has you at 1,180,000 - I think it's the extra Thrower that's doing it. Looking at your players, re-rolls and an apoth that seems way more than I got at 1.1M.
- Ulthuan Express: doing the commisioner's job, so I don't have to. :)

Mr Inkpen, you are more than welcome to borrow some minis for playtesting if you would like.

Personally, I think that starting humies can run only one thrower, and 3 rerolls, as they have all the static rerolls you could ever need (sure hands, pass, catch). that said, humans are so flexible that they can be played in almost any manner, and you should play them in a way that you feel comfortable.

Ulthuan_Express
Star Player
Star Player

It's the natural League Commissioner (or, rather, nosy & interfering busy-body) that makes me add that sort of thing up ;)

An Ogre, 4 Blitzers, 2 Catchers and 4 Linemen gives you 3x RRs and 40k left over. If you want the Apoth too, then you're either down to 11 players, or 2 re-rolls.

Smurf
mattgslater's court jester

Post by Smurf »

I'm currently playing humans for the first time.

First impressions:

1. utterly uninspiring
2. Early games work your blitzers
3. Work some line too.
4. When you need a quick TD field a catcher.

What I wanted to do was:

1. Get the blitzers with Mighty Blow - fear factor
2. develope some line

What happened:
1. Ogre got block
2. 2 Blitzers have got dodge, one has AG4 and another has AV9
3. I wish I could stop rolling doubles, it's like my WE team was robbed of them and they are all going here.
4. Thrower, Strong arm and Surefeet
5. Catcher with Nerves of Steel (pass block, diving catch and shadowing on the cards)
6. A lineman with dauntless and guard

Don't be suprised when things go wrong, live with it, and even with 4 rerolls they disapear quickly

So far I have won 4/7 games which puts me slightly ahead of the other human teams that were played in the league. I suspect they will excel after 10 games.

The Scrumpers (Wood Elf)
Timog (Chaos Dwarves)
Cursed Crypt (Khemri)
Fur Fur Furious (Skaven)
inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

I have been told the humans are a bit bland and dull, would anyone agree with this?

I don't think so because they can change their play style on the fly and become what you want them to be. Allowing great variety through out the league. Its certainly a break from the other single minded teams I have played whom all bar wood elves considered the ball part of the game secondary to bashing things in the ribs.

Ulthuan_Express
Star Player
Star Player

arthurinkpen wrote:I have been told the humans are a bit bland and dull, would anyone agree with this?

I don't think so because they can change their play style on the fly and become what you want them to be. Allowing great variety through out the league. Its certainly a break from the other single minded teams I have played whom all bar wood elves considered the ball part of the game secondary to bashing things in the ribs.
Bland, certainly - they're the jacks of all trades after all. Nothing wrong with a bit of vanilla, without which super-mint-double-chocolate-caramel-chip wouldn't seem so exciting. Dull, definitely not - it's Blood Bowl after all (Personal exception disclaimer: Dwarves).

Human teams have to play the opposite of what's in front of them, which means the coach has to learn how to make passing, running, bashing, dodging plays, etc. They come with all the basic skills that make doing the simple things easier, but not too easy. Very good to learn on, but can be difficult to use properly as you have to be able to play every style when you need to.

inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

How about the ogre skills? I'm thinking stand firm, pile on and block if I get a double.

besters

Post by besters »

Sounds reasonable, might think of Guard?

inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

Couldn't remember if its a strength skill, if it is I am taking it over piling on.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Smurf wrote:2. 2 Blitzers have got dodge, one has AG4 and another has AV9

AV9? MA 8, surely!

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler