Remove viewing restrictions when not logged in.

Moderator: TFF Mods

VoodooMike
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Remove viewing restrictions when not logged in.

Post by VoodooMike »

Can you guys remove the restriction on viewing certain forums when not logged in? It makes the forum less useful as posts in those forums cannot be reliably linked to from elsewhere. I realize some people think that it forces people to sign up and get involved, but typically it does the opposite of that - people begin as readers, and maybe decide to take part when they read things that interest them... but that requires they be ABLE to read those things in the first place.

When people click a link and get something other than they were expecting (such as a... you must log in to read this) they tend not to sign up, they just click out and end up without the information they were promised.

Open viewing encourages engagement. Please consider it.

Reason: ''
Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: Remove viewing restrictions when not logged in.

Post by Regash »

Seconded.
I rather quote things from this forum than link them.

Giving guests the ability to read would make this easier and this forum more attractive.

I mean, would you rather get involved so you just culd check the forum out or don't you think that people, who have read something have an itching to answer?
To get their own opinion known to the rest of the (TFF) world?

MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

+1, some people like to read forum posts but they don't bother to register, eventually they may do it.

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

+1, not like tournament information is some kind of secret that we need to hide.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

rolo wrote:+1, not like tournament information is some kind of secret that we need to hide.
Not my decision to make (I think we need Ian to make the call) but tournaments are unrestricted already as far as I can see.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
VoodooMike
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by VoodooMike »

Darkson wrote:Not my decision to make (I think we need Ian to make the call) but tournaments are unrestricted already as far as I can see.
Ian as in... hasn't visited the site since July 2014 Ian? I think maybe you're ok to make the call if you have sufficient access to change the viewing settings. I'd say he's not super concerned with micromanaging this forum if he hasn't logged into it for over a year.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Landlord might not step into your house for years on end, doesn't mean you can then decide to just knock walls down.
And of course, there are other methods of communication, not just on the forum.
Still not my call to make though, I have already bought it up with the other mods.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Regash

Post by Regash »

Noone said that you're the one to deceide this.
As long as the idea itself gets discussed by people who CAN decide this AND we're getting an answer that has the word "because" in it, everything is just fine! :orc:

VoodooMike
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by VoodooMike »

Finally! Thanks to whomever stepped up and made this happen!

It can only benefit the forum.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Didn't say anything, as I was still trying to see if I'd broken anything.
I "think" I've caught it all though?

VoodooMike
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by VoodooMike »

Darkson wrote:Didn't say anything, as I was still trying to see if I'd broken anything.
I "think" I've caught it all though?
I don't think the Announcements and Archives forums show up when not logged in anymore... and I think that was one that DID show up before.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Will try and remember to have a look tomorrow.