Suggestion: Split Project Logs & Manufacturer Adverts

Moderator: TFF Mods

Bsking
Rookie
Rookie

Suggestion: Split Project Logs & Manufacturer Adverts

Post by Bsking »

So, my suggestion goes like this:

I don't post often, but have been on this forum for quite a while. The thing that has changed the most in that time is the area of the forum I visit the most (because I like seeing pretty pictures of cool stuff other people are working on) the "Miniatures and Products" section.

However, over the last couple of years this section has slowly morphed from being an area where lots of different people had project logs and shared their ideas, to what is currently basically a "We're having a sale / please back my kickstarter/indiegogo/digital print only cool new miniatures idea!" page.

For example, as I write this on the first page of links in that forum, half are trying to sell me something or convince me to part with money. (And that's if I don't count the professional painters showing off commissioned works - which although not "selling" is still "advertising").

This would not be a major issue if it hadn't come at the expense of those more interesting project logs from people, who maybe only put up a couple of posts with some WIP painting shots etc...

I'm not suggesting that those posts advertising products / services shouldn't be there, but I would much rather be able to just browse people's personal Project Logs, rather than having to try and dive to find them through tons of advertising.

So would it possible to / how do people feel about splitting that part of the forum into a "Products for Sale / Backing" and "Individual Personal Project Logs" separate forums?

(Note - I don't have all the answers, for example I don't know where the professional painters should put their finished commission photos ... an argument could be made for putting them in either - but I would like to at least start the discussion!)

Reason: ''
Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: Suggestion: Split Project Logs & Manufacturer Adverts

Post by Regash »

Bsking wrote:For example, as I write this on the first page of links in that forum, half are trying to sell me something or convince me to part with money. (And that's if I don't count the professional painters showing off commissioned works - which although not "selling" is still "advertising").
This is not a bad idea, to be honest.

Although I don't agree with you on the professional painters because who decides when doing commission work starts getting 'professional' or is just 'showing your work'?

But all those threads with people trying to sell their products or IGG or KS campaigns do rather belong in the 'Fantasy Football For Sale'-section of the forum.
And propfessional painters really offering their services, yes, they should be there too.
I admit, I never saw it that way myself but now that you point it out... You're right!

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Not agreeing or disagreeing (and besides, it's not a decision I'd make alone) but just to say we already get complaints about having to many forums as it is. ;)
But I understand where you're coming from.
Regash wrote:But all those threads with people trying to sell their products or IGG or KS campaigns do rather belong in the 'Fantasy Football For Sale'-section of the forum.
There I disagree, the "For Sale" is for posters to get rid of the odd bits & pieces they no longer want, not for manufacturers to sell products.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Darkson wrote:... we already get complaints about having to many forums as it is. ;)
To be fair there are several sub-forums that could be merged/tidied up.
A few examples:
Your Comments could become a subforum of Announcements.
Rules Queries and Skills & Traits Queries quite often have similar threads/discussions. They could be merged.
House Rules forum and New Concepts are now basically the same thing --> merge.
Everything Elf-Bowl - nothing has been posted there since 2012. Change the Elfball Category to a Forum and make all the Elfball forums a subforum. That would basically merge all the Elfball forums into one line, rather than five, on the screen.
That alone would shrink the screen real estate and make room for separating mini projects from sellers threads.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

lunchmoney wrote:Everything Elf-Bowl - nothing has been posted there since 2012. Change the Elfball Category to a Forum and make all the Elfball forums a subforum. That would basically merge all the Elfball forums into one line, rather than five, on the screen.
Was already trying that (plus a few forums that have specific users only) but couldn't get it to work. Will have a try when I'm not trying to also work out a roster to give Moodygit an Exiles practise match...

[Edit] Helps if I use the right option!

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
ddancer
Experienced
Experienced

Post by ddancer »

I agree with this - I like seeing the KS stuff (I've backed a few!), but I'd rather see people's work in painting, conversion, kit-bashing and what have you. :)

KS/IndiGogo would be awesome in their own forum - that way I can browse there when I have money! ;)

Co-Commissioner of the PBBL
Home to the School of Block
http://pbbl.uhearttrollgate.com
JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

I agree, really like the idea of a seperate KS/indiegogo whatever forum.