Search limitations?

Moderator: TFF Mods

Madsherman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Search limitations?

Post by Madsherman »

I love coming here, but why can't you do more than one search every few minutes? The search function is so bad as is, that if I want to go back and try to narrow it a bit I can't do it right away... Which in turn makes me want to use the search function even less.

Reason: ''
"Accept the fact that you're already dead. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a halfling is supposed to function: without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All depends upon it." -Ronyld Spïers
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Re: Search limitations?

Post by lunchmoney »

That would be a setting set by the owner, Doubleskulls.
I would hazard a guess that was it to designed to reduce load on the database, and is a relic of old forum software.

I have approached Doubleskulls with the idea of updating the software to something a little more modern (better search engine, layout, like buttons etc). Something I would be willing to do as I've done it before on other forums, but I never got a reply :(

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Madsherman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Madsherman »

That was my guess as well. The search function is so tough to manage/navigate, that being denied going back to tick a "topic title only" -box will probably make less people use it, creating double posts of stuff more often.

"Accept the fact that you're already dead. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a halfling is supposed to function: without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All depends upon it." -Ronyld Spïers
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

My guess would be what Lunchmoney said, but I've never experienced that issue, and I often go back and refine my searches (will have to experiment next time on the PC).
Or it might just be a php thing, I don't know, but whatever it is it's outside the access the admins have.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Vanguard »

Darkson wrote:My guess would be what Lunchmoney said, but I've never experienced that issue, and I often go back and refine my searches (will have to experiment next time on the PC).
Or it might just be a php thing, I don't know, but whatever it is it's outside the access the admins have.
You may be exempt from the time limit as an admin.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Possibly, I've honestly no idea.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

This is for newer versions, so maybe old version has no configuration options, or they are somewhere else... yet worth a try if Darkson et al match the "Administrator" mentioned in the page and at least can see the current values https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... al_server/

One note, the text about server load is wrong. Unix machines can have loads above 1 (it measures something else than raw CPU usage). And it was reported so it should be fixed someday https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-10317

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

The (now deleted) spam post did reflag this topic for me though, and I found the setting Steam Ball posted, so this should now not happen (can't promise though!).

Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

Wow, the bug was closed as "won't fix". I hope it was fixed but someone clicked the wrong place, and not that correct documentation is not important.