Non-english threads

Moderator: TFF Mods

Mestari
Legend
Legend

Non-english threads

Post by Mestari »

There are, every now and then threads in this discussion board that are written in some other language than english. However, as a general rule, such discussions are invaded by the majority that does not speak the language in question. An example (with my rather aggravated response) is shown below:

http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/vie ... 5905#95905

I'm not asking that different language forums should be created or anything and I realise the fact that this is a discussion board intended for discussion in english. However, I assume that non-english discussions are not banned altogether and what I'm asking would be a clear guideline to guard such discussions from being invaded by off-topic discussion in english, and that moderators be urged to work towards assuring that such discussions can co-exist on this discussion board.

Just my humble opinion.

Reason: ''
[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3460]-[/url]Teemu
[i][size=67]Don't lynch me! I'm the captain of the carpet ship![/size][/i]
narkotic
Da Collector

Post by narkotic »

How do you think moderates should know what exactly in non-English threads are spoken of? There are some rules to follow here and some topics that are not desired.

Furthermore I feel somewhat annoyed by topics posted/discussed in a non-English language (and this includes German!) as I try to make myself understandable to everyone by communicating in English and expect the same courtesy to happen to me.

I'm here to communicate or at least get informed (or entertained).

I've seen some non-English BB boards (all of them German) and they are boring and dull. TBB is international and mature, I really do not see a reason to have national chit-chat appearing here which 95% of TBB users cannot follow.

As Dave/Redfang said, there are plenty of possibilities to get to know each other here but then make native-tongue conversation via other means.

P.S: I do not have any problem with somebody who tries to communicate here and be part of TBB but speaks bad English (his effort is appreciated)

my two cents

Redfang
Legend
Legend
Location: With the wife, watching Zara and the Hasslefree chick from behind their bedroom curtain...

Post by Redfang »

I don't see the need to maintain non-english discussions here at all, unless one or more of the participants in the discussion does not speak english. If this is so, and it is indicated clearly somewhere in the thread, I would happily leave the thread alone.
If not, and it is just two english-speaking persons who think it is fun to chat a bit in a different language, I (personally) might decide to consider the thread open territory...

R

Ik wou dat ik twee blondjes was,
Dan kon ik samen spelen.

[size=67][url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14334]Bragging[/url][/size]

What keeps me busy nowadays: [url=http://www.bruchius.com/]Fun with violence.[/url]
grotemuis
Super Star
Super Star

Post by grotemuis »

I personially get very annoyed when someone is not speaking english in TBB. It's an english forum. In my book it's an open invotation to hijack it.

and with one sigh he managed to expres his total hatred for everything that's mankind
marvin
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

I have no problem with non-English threads, but this is an English forum so they ought to be the exception rather than the rule.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

I consider it ignorant. In real terms it's like a couple of people whispering or talking a different language when standing in a crowd.
Perfectly acceptable of course if somebody doesn't speak the common language and needs translation help....different entirely if the purpose is to exclude those that can't understand from what's being said.
Practically there's the point that nobody can moderate posts that they can't understand.
That being said, I'd hate to see any kind of 'rule' over different languages used on TBB, this is an international forum and all the stronger and better for it.

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Dark Lord (retired)

Post by Dark Lord (retired) »

I'd say that everyone should post in english (since this is an english forum) but some people are made to feel bad for not having as much skill with the language as others. So it doesn't bother or surprise me to see people post in other languages.
Maybe if people felt that they could post in english without back lash then they wouldn't post in their native tongue.

BlanchPrez
Legend
Legend

Post by BlanchPrez »

I would say that as most people here can and do post in English, it's only polite to try and do the same. I don't have a problem with bad English, either (God knows mine is no where near perfect). At the same time, when I do see someone posting in another language, I just ignore the thread.

Chris

At times like these I am reminded of the immortal words of Socrates, who said "... I drank what?"
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I have enough problems with the English postings... :roll:

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Asperon Thorn
Legend
Legend

Post by Asperon Thorn »

Wait. . . . This board is in English?!?

Damn, this whole time I have been posting in American. Well that will certainly change the flavour around here.

Asperon Thorn

Looking for Fair and Balanced Playtesting of the DE Runner 7347 Surehands G,A,Pa 90K - Outdated and done.
BlanchPrez
Legend
Legend

Post by BlanchPrez »

Asperon Thorn wrote:Wait. . . . This board is in English?!?

Damn, this whole time I have been posting in American. Well that will certainly change the flavour around here.
That explanes so much about your posts. ;)

Chris

At times like these I am reminded of the immortal words of Socrates, who said "... I drank what?"
ZanzerTem
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Tampa, FL (I USED to be able to see Galak in the distance!)

Post by ZanzerTem »

Why not post a global announcement that is called "non-english speakers", and anyone that is multilingual can post what languages they speak. This way, someone who is embarassed about their lack of proper grammar can PM that person in their native tongue with their question.

It seems that foreigners that have trouble with English tend to avoid TBB and only come here when they are turning desperate for help.

Honestly though, it would just be easier on everyone if their was a forum dedicated to non-english threads. This would not be an insult to anybody; it would actually be helpful. Multilingual posters can check the new posts there, and english only posters can avoid the place.

NAF # 581
Commish of the ABBL, Tampa Bay's premier BloodBowl League!
Mestari
Legend
Legend

Post by Mestari »

Apparently I'm in the minority here, when I'm asking that people would politely leave the non-english threads uninvaded, even though I agree that writing in some other language may be a bit inconsiderate.

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3460]-[/url]Teemu
[i][size=67]Don't lynch me! I'm the captain of the carpet ship![/size][/i]
grotemuis
Super Star
Super Star

Post by grotemuis »

I agree with bloodbashermasher with his suggestion for an non-english section.

and with one sigh he managed to expres his total hatred for everything that's mankind
marvin
narkotic
Da Collector

Post by narkotic »

What remains is the problem of moderators not understanding what's going on in such a section.