English Coaches ... Team England Committee Election 2018

Moderators: Purplegoo, TFF Mods

speedingbullet
Star Player
Star Player

Re: English Coaches .... Team England Committee Election 201

Post by speedingbullet »

I've added a clarification to the top post re the voting process which is that nominees may vote in the election but are not allowed to vote for themselves.

Reason: ''
speedingbullet
Star Player
Star Player

Post by speedingbullet »

The deadline for nominations is 6pm this Sunday (02 September). If you'd like to stand for election to the committee then please put your name forward.

Also, if anyone has any questions for the nominees, please feel free to ask by posting on this thread.

Wilf
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Wilf »

Hi all, I would like to put my name in the hat as a committee member.

I’ve been an active tournament player since 2006, have run the STABB Cup event most years since 2011, am commissioner of a fumbbl league and have also been lucky enough to have played for England at a Eurobowl in 2016.

I’m a passionate defender and advocate of TE and would be delighted to be able to play a part in how we can improve on and continue to build the TE community as a whole. I’d like to think I can contribute some good ideas, and be a sounding board for members of the community who share my enthusiasm for TE as a whole.

I’m a familiar face on the BB scene in the UK and Europe, although perhaps less so in the last two years after child number 2, but would relish a chance to help shape how TE
moves forward at future Eurobowl events.

Thanks

Wil (Wilf/wilzif)

Like beer and Blood Bowl? Then the STABB Cup is for you!
speedingbullet
Star Player
Star Player

Post by speedingbullet »

Great, thanks Wilf and you're added to the second post of this thread :D

Would anyone else like to stand for election? If so, you have just 2 more days to get your nomination in.

indiana-utah
Veteran
Veteran

Post by indiana-utah »

Hi all,

I'll throw my name in to the hat. As the commissioner of WYBBL, joint commissioner of TYBBL, organiser of various Yorkshire Tournaments each year, and admin on the BBC FB group, I believe I have a lot of experience with the hobby. However, I do have zero experience with Team England, and I think this is the main reason why I should be involved...

Yorkshire, while being the biggest county in the country, and having multiple leagues and tournaments running, has been isolated from the main community for many (many) years. This is changing, and we are getting more active and involved (over the last 3 years we have made a huge push in to the wider community), and this is a good thing. This lies my strength, I'm (was?) an outsider looking in, I represent the people who say the old school run the show, but from a position where I say they only run the show, because new people need to stand up and be counted (and this very process shows that the the old school are more than happy to embrace the new players, and likewise Yorkshire is showing that if you engage with the community, then it engages back with you). I'd be the bridge between the old and the new, making sure that all voices are heard, and that no one is left behind (so long as they shout up so we know they are there to be heard).

Thanks for reading,

Christoph (Indiana-Utah)

Wobert
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Wobert »

A little surprised at my mention above (and pleased but mostly surprised!).

I won't be putting myself forward - but thank you for the thought. I will however jump on the SpeedingB band wagon, nicest chap in BB world.

Flick30
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Flick30 »

Hello I’m Richard but most of you will know me as Flick.

I am currently SYBBL Commissioner and a join Commissioner of the TYBBL structure.
TYBBL been the The Yorkshire Blood Bowl League.
This idea started back in 2007 and I was part of the initial set up of the structure then. Brining it back along side Indiana-utah, last year, it now has over 100 active players
South Yorkshire - SYBBL contributes 25 players to this.

Myself I have been playing since 1998 (20 years now!) and been tournament organising since 2013.

Of all the people applying for these roles I possibly am one of the least “experienced” in team England having not attended any events under the team England banner.
It is because of this I would like to become involved and help bring more players in to the experience of playing nationally, working more on the recruiting side of the committee.

Thank you for reading :)
Flick

---------------------------------------------
SYBBL PRESENTS
Winter Anarchy 5 - 23rd & 24th November
Yorkshire Rose Bowl ‘20 - 18th April
speedingbullet
Star Player
Star Player

Post by speedingbullet »

Wobert wrote:A little surprised at my mention above (and pleased but mostly surprised!).

I won't be putting myself forward - but thank you for the thought. I will however jump on the SpeedingB band wagon, nicest chap in BB world.
Thanks Ali, although it seems I might have to start playing dwarves to toughen up my reputation!!

speedingbullet
Star Player
Star Player

Post by speedingbullet »

Christoph and Richard (Indiana-Utah and Flick), great to see Yorkshire participating in the election :D

I'll copy your nominations to the 2nd post of this thread.

nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

I see we have some great candidates. There are a few other people I would nominate...so I'll poke them and make them aware.

To echo Glowworm (and others) I would happily support anyone on that list.

I'm starting to get more involved in supporting events, and I'd love to be more involved, but I know I won't be able to contribute much for the next year at least. In the meantime, I'll just be supportive (sometimes quietly, sometimes loudly).

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

indiana-utah wrote:admin on the BBC FB group,
Christoph (Indiana-Utah)
Aka Christoph Christopherson, possibly worth mentioning?

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Nippy Longskar
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Nippy Longskar »

Great to see the list of nominees shaping up so well.

As my name was mentioned once or twice in passing I thought I'd just post and say that I've given it careful thought and decided not to put my name forward...right now I would not be able to devote the consistent focus to this that it requires. Good luck to all and I look forward to voting :)

That's huge
deeferdan
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by deeferdan »

speedingbullet wrote:
Pipey wrote:
Is that a first choice, second choice thing? Or you just vote twice?
There isn't a first or second choice, you just vote for the 2 people (on the list of nominees) that you'd most like to see on the Committee. So if 30 people vote, there could be up to 60 votes to tally.

As a further clarification, you can't vote twice for the same person. If you only want to support one person then you can choose to just cast one of your two votes.
With the increasing number of candidates (which is of course super news) I would like to raise a concern about the voting procedure set out above.
Put simply I would hope that we can create a broad committee of 4 members plus the team captain and my concern is that there is an increasingly strong possibility that votes will be concentrated on two candidates, simply as an accidental result of the proposed voting process.

I for one would be happy to see all of those people who have nominated themselves involved in the TE committee, but due to this suggested process can only select two to support. This seems to me to be a backward step in selecting the committee because, put simply, we wont know who has received sufficient votes to be included, due to the threshold that has been put in place and the number of votes not being equal to the ideal number of committee members.

Instead of the above, I would like to propose a preferential voting approach, that should ensure that a large number of people get votes and, now with the large number of candidates, guarantee 4 new committee members.

By asking the TE community to vote for the four candidates that they support in a ranked order of preference, this should give us the best chance for a fair and accurate representation of the community's wishes.

So for example I could support four of the 6 (at the mo) candidates, so my vote would list 4 names in preference.
For example
1. Pipey
2. Indiana Utah
3. Wilf
4. Flick

Alternatively I could only support 2 candidates and so I would indicate this by only putting two names forward
For example
1. Leipziger
2. Speeding Bullet

Each time a persons name was put forward would count as a vote in their favour, then the four highest scoring candidates (who had received at least 5 votes) would be elected to represent. The scoring is pretty straight forward giving 4 points to a first choice, 3 for a second and so on.

Anyway, I just wanted to raise the concern, as I think it would be a crying shame if candidates missed out because the majority of the community focussed on two individuals that they were particularly keen to be involved.

- deeferdan -

England NC
Midlands RC
Blood Bowling nomad

Beard man's foil http://doubleskulls.libsyn.com/
Nippy Longskar
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Nippy Longskar »

This sounds good to me. The fact it's not forcing people to pick 4 is good I think.

That's huge
deeferdan
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by deeferdan »

As an additional thought to the above the ranking element is an additional complication that you may feel you can do without. But offereing the capacity to give up to four votes (the same as the number of positions) is the key IMHO.

- deeferdan -

England NC
Midlands RC
Blood Bowling nomad

Beard man's foil http://doubleskulls.libsyn.com/