Team England Charter Proposals *VOTING ENDED — SEE RESULTS*

Moderators: Purplegoo, TFF Mods

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Re: Team England Committee Charter Proposals *PLEASE VOTE*

Post by sann0638 »

Results - 34 people voted, with 1 abstaining from voting on B.

Document A
Yes 31
No 3

Document B
Yes 12
No 21

Mike

Reason: ''
NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
PeteW
Super Star
Super Star

Post by PeteW »

Thanks Mike, much appreciated.

Also, thanks to the committee for their work on this. It has been useful to work it through and see that almost two thirds of people agree that subjective selection (allowing captains to define their own objectivity) is best for TE and for the coaches' year round enjoyment.

Looking forward to the captaincy election, and the timescale review.

NAFC 2014. Glowworm: "PeteW is definitely hotter than Lunchmoney."
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Thanks Mike for helping out with this.

Quite surprised at the turn out for this. Only 34 votes, when I seem to remember a captaincy election on the old forum getting up to around 50. That was before the GW relaunch and the flood of new members too. I guess we need to have a serious think about whether TFF has been a successful vehicle for driving wider engagement, as these numbers don't seem to reflect an improvement.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
besters
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by besters »

From the numbers voting, this doesn't seem to be the major issue it can be made out to be. Joe may be right that TFF isn't the best forum, although it is for me. I wasn't surprised by the numbers voting, I predicted a low turnout.

I think 29 people seem to have contributed to this thread, I think 3 weren't eligible for Team England, so assuming we got 26 votes from here that leaves only 8 other people voting.

Thanks to Mike for his assistance.

Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

Echo the thanks above.

The engagement point, as ever, is interesting. Much as a fair few of us hold our noses at the prospect, we'll end up on Facebook, won't we? Tournament traffic is gradually migrating there, afterall. Even then, I really don't know what more we can do to drive interest.

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Yeah that's a good point Jim, maybe it is just this particular issue that didn't engage people. We'll see how the upcoming captaincy election goes.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
speedingbullet
Star Player
Star Player

Post by speedingbullet »

Firstly thanks Mike, much appreciated.

Something of a relief to get to this point!

Subjective selection for EB seems to be the way to go. Although to be accurate, all we’ve done is vote against changing to a specific alternative.

One downside of this result is TE EO participation isn’t now formalised so I think that needs further consideration fairly swiftly. There is also the timing of the selection process (see the other thread) and of course we move on to the Captaincy election.

Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

Thanks everyone for voting. Thanks to Mike for counting and returning.

We now have a very strong basis (91% majority) for the governing structures (Committee, charter etc.) which is great.

Also we now have a way to select the team (subjective as per the existing doc) with a full democratic mandate. 21 from 33 votes is over 63% majority which is pretty emphatic.

The turnout is perhaps a little surprising, but then not. I don't think it undermines the wider process of debate and discussion we've had. Discussions have been more vibrant and inclusive (and constructive!) than I remember. And the Charter content will have a proper democratic underpinning which I think is a big win.

Seems 30-50 votes is the most we get. It probably reflects the small number of players who see themselves as candidates for TE. Seemingly that hasn't mushroomed despite the BB2016 explosion. Maybe we can do more with EO to get others involved. Something I'd like to discuss further to the current debate, and will take up with the wider committee.

Out of interest these are the numbers of participants who have taken part in elections over the years.

BTW @Joemanji the most votes in a Captaincy election is 40, not 50.

2010 Captaincy election = 18 votes
2011 World Cup
2012 Captaincy election = no data (don't think there was an election with Geggster continued as winning captain?)
2013 Captaincy election = 15 votes
2014 Captaincy election = 16 votes
2015 World Cup
2016 Captaincy election = 40 votes
2017 Captaincy election = 30 votes
2018 Captaincy election = no election, one candidate only

2018 Committee election = 50 votes
2019 Charter Proposals = 34 votes

Mike could you confirm how many votes last year? 50 is a bit of a guess to be fair!

Next thing is the new Charter, which we'll draw up this week ahead of the start of the Captaincy election process.

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

speedingbullet wrote:... to be accurate, all we’ve done is vote against changing to a specific alternative..
Certainly true but does feel in effect that subjective picking is preferred. We can discuss that more within the committee :)

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Pipey wrote:Mike could you confirm how many votes last year? 50 is a bit of a guess to be fair!

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Re the turnout; me, for example, I've read the things, but didn't vote as it has no effect on me, or my tourney play, at all. Maybe that's why the turnout was lower than expected? Only coaches invested in the outcome voted?

Edit, I think I'm saying the same thing as Joe
Joemanji wrote:Yeah that's a good point Jim, maybe it is just this particular issue that didn't engage people. We'll see how the upcoming captaincy election goes.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
howlinggriffon

Re: Team England Charter Proposals *VOTING ENDED — SEE RESUL

Post by howlinggriffon »

I didn't vote - mainly as I was turned off by the arguing in this thread between different parties so I lost interest. Like Al said, I'm also never going to be selected as part of Team England in any format so it seemed wrong of me to vote on something that will only affect others.

deeferdan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by deeferdan »

Thanks for organising this - and to the committee for their work.

Just picking up on what Jim said about it being a shame there is no clear structure for EO yet. The proposed method of popular vote was of equal weight in my mind to the much talked about selection method for the main team, when I voted no. this is probably because I was involved previously, but also because it really does seem the most obvious first step in improving inclusivity.

Look forward to seeing what’s next!

D

- deeferdan -

England NC
Midlands RC
Blood Bowling nomad

Beard man's foil http://doubleskulls.libsyn.com/
Itchen Masack

Post by Itchen Masack »

howlinggriffon wrote:I didn't vote - mainly as I was turned off by the arguing in this thread between different parties so I lost interest. Like Al said, I'm also never going to be selected as part of Team England in any format so it seemed wrong of me to vote on something that will only affect others.
Almost exactly how I feel, apart from I would substitute Arguing for Discussing :P

Nippy Longskar
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Nippy Longskar »

It makes me a bit sad to hear people say they didn't vote because it doesn't affect them and they'll never play in team England, as that was really the point of this exercise I think...to get more people interested/invested. That said I also totally understand...about 8-10 years ago I felt exactly the same way - I thought Team England was a really awesome thing but that I would never be involved, and I often didn't vote on Captaincy, selection rules etc. But over the last couple of years I've played for England twice and I can honestly say they were the two best weekends as a gamer of any kind that I've ever had. The tension, excitement, cameraderie, atmosphere, quality of games were all unparalleled.

To those that feel Team England is not for them, can I ask 2 questions?

1) what makes you feel that way?

2) if the scope of Team England was broadened to include one or more Europen squads, would that change the way you felt?

That's huge