Elfball Tournament - full results now up

Post and discuss upcoming Elfball tournaments and events

Moderator: TFF Mods

Valen
Walking on the beaches...

Re: Elfball Tournament Sat March 6th in Swindon, UK - THIS WEEK!

Post by Valen »

GalakStarscraper wrote:I spent the morning giving Gav pointers so that he can crush you all. Muh ha ha ha! Wish I could be there.

Tom
It didnt wrk though, the missus just kicked my ass lol

Reason: ''

I'm coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice... I'm talkin' pain, boy. Searing, mind-numbing pain!!!
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Defintly not going to make it unfortunately - to many staff on holiday to get the day off (oh so close though).

Good luck with it, and hope it's a sucess so you run another.

(I'd even pulled out my box to re-read the rules again. :( )

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

Just to add to the chorus, my Valkyries wish they could be there.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Hangus wrote:Really looking forward to it but would you be offended if my team is half painted? Two done, one half ready and rest nothing. Got a couple of hours tomorrow but it's not looking good I am afraid.
Tish 8)

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
browwnrob
Legend
Legend

Post by browwnrob »

Make sure you get lots of pictures Mike and post them online, maybe Tom would even put them on the Impact site ;)

http://www.bbminis.blogspot.com
My Fantasy Football blog with painted minis!

I am selling off full teams that are unpainted as yet but would prefer to sell them painted, I have lots of teams, PM me if you are interested
Valen
Walking on the beaches...

Post by Valen »

Is there anyone coming accross tonight? Or is everyone arriving tommorrow?

Me and wife leave in two hours, should arrive about 9

I'm coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice... I'm talkin' pain, boy. Searing, mind-numbing pain!!!
duttydave
Star Player
Star Player

Post by duttydave »

I'll be on the road early tomorrow morning. See you all there.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

browwnrob wrote:Make sure you get lots of pictures Mike and post them online, maybe Tom would even put them on the Impact site ;)
Yes ... yes I would. Be happy to ... and I'd get it done quicker than I did for Ramsay's last project. :D

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Spiky
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Spiky »

The Touurnament was good fun - 8 players in total so Mike got to play and managed to win! :)

Highlights for me included stealing the ball from Mike in the final game after his tantor went down on a slide tackle. Had a couple of players positioned to get it upfield and won the test.

The Dwarves were solid, and playing Dwarf vs dwarf against valen was just a bloodbath - he spent 5 turns trying to score with 1 remaining player against 5 and I just couldn't hit him hard enough to stop him. Any flop on my part would have meant he scored so it was very tense.

Taking 3 potions helped with attrition greatly and 2 players against Mike picked up might increases!

Will post some pics soon!

Geocaching - The most fun you can have with a smartphone and a pencil
First official recipient of 'The Glowworm Award'
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Re: Elfball Tournament - Mike wins :)

Post by sann0638 »

Thanks Spiky - it was a good day, and an early finish (around 5pm) that people appreciated with long journeys home!

1st - me (Siringit)
2nd - Charon (Pharoahs)
3rd - Spiky (Dwarves)
Most removals - Valen (Dwarves, with the impcrusher)

Some photos from my phone - Spiky's phone is better, and Charon had a camera, so will hopefully have better photos.

The critical game - if Andy had spent 3 more turns with the ball he would have won the tournament!

An action shot from the final game with too much flash - hopefully Spiky will have some better ones!

Table 1 - Impact's fantastic custom made board.

A cake (made by the wife) in honour of the occasion!

The lower tables :)

Some quick rules feedback. I won by 2 points (385 v 383), and throughout the day Charon and I had games where we could both have stalled to get more points, and only because we were playing to score as quickly as possible that power-gaming did not take place. In a bigger tournament this would not be viable, so 100 straight points for a win plus casualties seems more sensible in hindsight, or just 100 for a win then using casualties as a tie-breaker. We also played all players removed from the pitch counted as casualties for points purposes.

Most rounds were 1 h 15 min, and only 3 games had to be called (ie were ties). It was a bit strange that a tie did not count for any more than a loss, so might adjust this another time.

Will definitely be repeating the day, and Antipixi was talking about a day round his way, so hopefully this is just the beginning!

All the best,

Mike

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
duttydave
Star Player
Star Player

Post by duttydave »

Well done Mike.

Thanks for a great day.

I didn't get off to the brightest start. Before Round 1, I was daydreaming whilst watching Spiky and Hangus play a warm up game. I was looking at the number 6 on the Momentum track that had a dice showing Six beside it. Then you asked me for a number, I didn't quite hear you ask for one between 1 and 4, I just answered the first number that came into my head, 6, much to everyone's amusement. Doh. :oops:

It went downhill from there. 3 Losses and a Draw. Those were my first games of Elfball and will not be the last. I had some fun games and hopefully learned a bit too. I didn't fully appreciate the peculiarities of the Pharaohs and failed to realise how best to play them. I don't think I positioned the players too wisely either.

I will return and hopefully pass on that Wooden Spoon to some other poor bugger.

Looking forward to the next tourney.

Thanks again.

antipixi
Star Player
Star Player

Post by antipixi »

T-shirt slogan of the day:

"I'm going to shove you from behind with considerable momentum. You'd better hope I get a flop!"

Thanks for the whole day, Mike. I had a great time even with my team's poor show. Lesson for the day, potion trumps cheerleader.

When I get the chance to sit and think I'm gonna start a new thread with my own tournament rules ideas.

Hope that either I or someone else runs another EBT soon. It was excellent fun!

Chris

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM WALES!
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

That custom board was designed by TFF Frank from Germany. Awesome project that he did for us and was much appreciated!

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

sann0638 wrote:Some quick rules feedback. I won by 2 points (385 v 383), and throughout the day Charon and I had games where we could both have stalled to get more points, and only because we were playing to score as quickly as possible that power-gaming did not take place. In a bigger tournament this would not be viable, so 100 straight points for a win plus casualties seems more sensible in hindsight
Those were my original rules from GenCon so good to know ... I'll go back to that.
It was a bit strange that a tie did not count for any more than a loss, so might adjust this another time.
This was done on purpose to encourage more aggressive game play as time runs out. If ties are no better than a loss than both players have a lot of incentive to actually get the win.

Am very happy to hear it went so well!

Tom

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

sann0638 wrote:Thanks Spiky - it was a good day, and an early finish (around 5pm) that people appreciated with long journeys home!
That was a major design consideration I kept stressing to the playtesters when I was designing Elfball. I really wanted the games to be playable in 75 minutes. So glad to see that that was working. It also means you can have a decent one day event without it lasting forever.
sann0638 wrote:Most removals - Valen (Dwarves, with the impcrusher)
You can blame this on me ... I talked Gavin into bringing the Impcrusher as it really is just a nasty nasty piece and I walked him through how to use it and why to use it.

The Impcrusher was an option I put in the game for the Thunder Hammer Dwarves to give them a good distinction from the Black Rock Dwarves.

Galak