Looking for advice for 2nd human thrower 1st skillup.

Moderator: TFF Mods

dboeren
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Looking for advice for 2nd human thrower 1st skillup.

Post by dboeren »

I don't take what I consider crazy chances, but neither am I ultraconservative.

I frequently make Quick Passes with my Human Thrower (Accurate is the first skill-up they typically get) and don't usually go for a cage rolling downfield. Yeah, I'll put some defensive guys around my ball carrier if I can spare them, but then there's a lot of times where having them knock down opposing players protects him just as well and gives me a shot at maybe getting a KO. I don't grind, and when I get the ball I do my best to put it in the endzone. Occasionally I'll pause one turn if I can afford it depending on the clock, but that's about it. I'd rather win 3-2 than 1-0 and have some game highlights to talk about later.

3+ with a reroll fails 1-in-9 times. That's reliable enough for me, particularly if I've taken some measures to make sure that a failure won't be too bad. First do your movement, lock up enemy players, position guys around the thrower and catcher if you can in case they don't complete, then go ahead and toss the ball.

The one thing I generally try to avoid is dodging, which I seem to have poor luck with.

Reason: ''
Smurf
mattgslater's court jester

Post by Smurf »

That's where safe throw comes in handy. You only fumble on a 1.

I do like a passing game with not so daring passes. Even a Human thrower with accurate and strong arm can throw long passes on a 3+ which is pretty good fot ball movement.

Another option I used was to give the thrower surefeet, it just helps to throw that ball.

The Scrumpers (Wood Elf)
Timog (Chaos Dwarves)
Cursed Crypt (Khemri)
Fur Fur Furious (Skaven)
Hitonagashi
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Hitonagashi »

Stallard wrote:Well, I wrote this long ass message about how you dont need %95 to win, or that you dont need to stack the odds so much in your favor.

Well, i wrote it twice since the board timed out on me.

I really don't know what to say, People look at me like I'm from the short bus when i throw a long bomb for the TD and it keeps on working, game after game, throw after throw. They tear their beards and gnash their teeth. They curse the gods for bringing them such misfortune.

They rue the day they let the ball get into my throwers hands and it scores a touchdown.

On my end of things, i get the living snot beat out of my guys every match, and they survive, and it irritates the hell out of the grind players.

So i really dont know what to say.

Once i dodged into three tackle zones, picked the ball up, dodged away and scored. I think the guy wanted to slap me.

So yeah, i really cant argue with the odds. But for some reason I do crazy things and they work, not all the time, but frequently.

I just dont know what to say.

Hehehe, I know what you mean, don't worry.

I do play a passing game with my HE (though 2+ longbomb with 2+ NoS catchers makes it a touch safer). To me, the important thing is *understanding* the odds. I take 3+ rerolled dodges a lot. I take a lot of chances. I also know I'll never be in the top coaches around, because I take too many risks. The one thing pretty much all the top coaches I watch have in common is they are amazing at positioning, and they rarely take risks. I know I take risks, and I know that my opponent is the other side of the computer screen(woo FUMBBL) swearing about how I'm a dirty lucker when they work.

I brought it up, as we are in the newbie thread, and when I watch new players, I find that's a common mistake, thinking that 3+ is a safe roll. If you know it's a gambit, then that's cool! Each to their own! :D

At the end of the day, Bloodbowl is about having fun. In the long run, playing the odds and playing them well is a very very effective strategy...but if you don't find an ultrapositional style of play fun, and prefer to toss the dice and cackle as they come up 6's, then that's great too! That's the thing, Bloodbowl caters to everyone, from those that just want to kill and ignore that round spiky thing, to those that want to study the board and think of it as a massive chess game.

(PS, dboeren, my 3/4 came from the fact presumably you need someone to *catch* the ball as well as throw it ;). So 2x 3+ with reroll)

Stallard
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Stallard »

Well, my current team for the paper side of things is my first ever attempt at making a team for BB.
I was just looking over my roster, and there's a ton of little things i would do differently now that I've got thirtyish or so odd games under my belt.
For some reason i thought taking fend on all four of my catchers was something I really needed to do, looking back on it...I think it was useful once or twice?
When i got my first skillup on my Ogre, I thought it would be cool if i used a house rule to take off loner....wasted a perfectly good doubles roll for that. Now I have a TV thats too high to manage and no cash in sight for a new Ogre, and he's got two niggles.

My blitzers aren't really well developed, whilst some of my catcher's TD scored stats are getting into the double digits.

No one has kick. I have a fouler thats usually on the line due to my grand ideas for my other linemen. My spoiler's only got wrestle at the moment, and he'd have to get real darn lucky just to get to the next skillup point. :puke:

Thats not even the short of it, i have a lino with AR down and AGI up, who was to be my flea flicker target, and it would take some good many SPP's for my long bomber to get dump off, and now I realize hail mary would do a much better job of getting the opposition out of position.

On the upside of things, they've won more games than they lost this go 'round, and they hit 2550000 TV last game, which means despite myself, they have had some good success.

I had a lot of fun making them, but I'm really, really tempted to start with a fresh human team.

I suppose now I can file them away, only for them to see the light of day years from now and I'll only be able to shake my head and wonder at what the hell was I thinking?

dboeren
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dboeren »

Hitonagashi wrote:(PS, dboeren, my 3/4 came from the fact presumably you need someone to *catch* the ball as well as throw it ;). So 2x 3+ with reroll)
Most of the time, yes. I did run into a game recently where there was enough space between my receiver and the enemy that it didn't matter if he caught it or not (I think this was against Dwarves). Sure enough, he missed it. They couldn't get adjacent to him or the ball even with GFI, so next turn he picked it back up and ran it in. Just consider the pickup roll (with reroll) as extra levels of reroll on the catch in that situation :)

Of course, it depends a lot on the board position and what you're up against, how good your guy is at picking the ball back up in case he needs to, and whether you have a reroll left.

Finally, it's all great to play it safe and usually it's a good idea, but I think there are times you might want to take some measured risk:
1. If you're behind, you may need to take more risks than usual to catch up because doing it the safe way might take too long
2. When you get something really good out of it

I think there is some tendency among risk-averse players to look at the short term only. THIS move is 90% safe, so I'm going to do that instead of this other move that's only 75% safe. But how many of those slow reliable moves will it take to score versus how many of the "risky" moves?

If you have to do three 90% moves to accomplish as much as a single bolder 75% move, then the 90% moves are actually LESS reliable, not more. (0.9^3 = 72.9%).

So in my mind, if taking a 75% chance is going to give me a scoring opportunity or some other huge result then I'm taking it :)