New "bowl" box by years end AKA Dreadball

For discussion of Elfball, Dreadball, Deathball, Grind and all other fantasy football games

Moderator: TFF Mods

Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

New "bowl" box by years end AKA Dreadball

Post by Steam Ball »

New box in the shop listings!

NYA MGE DBM01-1 Dreadball Futuristic Sports Game $79.99

Let's the guesses begin.

Not by GW, no need to guess that. :orc:

Reason: ''
Chris
Legend
Legend

Re: New "bowl" box by years end

Post by Chris »

$80, 4 plastic teams? Interested to see what their rules are and hope they have teams that are compatible with blood bowl team positions :) Be interesting to see how it sells. If it does really well would it convince GW they should re-do BB, or make them think now the market is sated?

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Sounds interesting and seeing as it’s mantic it looks like it will be another blatant rip off of GW to go with their Fantasy, 40K and Space Hulk clones. Maybe this is their response to the continual rumours about a Bloodbowl boxed set with 4 plastic teams in it?

I’ve been rather disappointed with Mantic’s efforts model wise so far. Their elves were awful and the dwarfs average at best but the undead had some nice models. The sculpts for their sci fi range were decent but borrowed far too much from what GW were doing 20 years ago. Which is a real shame as a massive squat fan with over 200 models I’d have loved the Forge Fathers to look better. :(

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

They have a space hulk clone?

The models I think aren't meant to look that good, merely good enough. Its very much the school of gaming that the models are really better counters and are quite plentiful. While this works I think with their fantasy game (I've seen excellent armies using mantic for the body of men and Foundary for the eye catching pieces - I went and bought a load of foundary as a result for BB sideline and counters - working ont he principle that you see a unit of greenskins, then are drawn to the special ones while the rest are background colour) I concur that its a bit ropey for a game that is nominally skirmish like the 40k clone and people tend to look at individuals not units.

RogueThirteen
Star Player
Star Player

Post by RogueThirteen »

Assuming this is a Fantasy Football Clone (though, perhaps it's some quite different sport game), is the boxed game just an excuse to make FF Minis? I mean, the market already seems flooded by FF Games, and really Blood Bowl is such a fantastic, balanced, rich game (thanks entirely to the excellent work of the BBRC over the years), I've never had an itch to look into the other games--though I do pick up some of the splendid miniatures for the other games.

commisar ken
Star Player
Star Player

Post by commisar ken »

I am so excited about this,I think that i may not purchase one.The only that would appeal to for this game is that the figs are in 28mm.

Play Coach Krazy Kenny on Cyanide.He is usually lurking in Auld World.
robsoma
Star Player
Star Player

Post by robsoma »

This game is going to be hex based and set in a sci fi setting so more speedball than blood bowl. will be keeping an eye on this mind

Justice for the Agribowla Three!!!
Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

Some preview image avaliable, confirming what robsoma said about hexagons and scifi.

Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

[Off-topic removed - Darkson]

Back to the game, look interesting in a steampunk meets Elfball, gets drunk and 9 months later kinda way....... :D

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

*sigh*
Even tropics about non BB products get dragged into clawpomb debates on the 1st page now. :roll:

One thing Mantic does have going for it is their plastic minis are very cheap. So if they release some follow up boxed sets or you can get the players separately then it could be a good source of spare parts.

As it is sci-fi the bodies could be a little high tech but heads and most importantly arms should have some potential. Their scale tends to be more realistic than GW’s heroic proportions which some prefer and you can always use realistic human hands on skinny models like elves or zons.

I will be keeping an eye on this to see what the models are like, if they are nice then it may be worth getting as $80 is a good deal for 4 teams.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
rodders
Legend
Legend

Post by rodders »

So far I have been massively underwhelmed by mantics mini's and its rip-offs of current GW lines.

I'm no GW fanboy and the only GW game i play is bloodbowl but as a gamer i'd like to see something a bit more original

Propping up the Chelmsford Bunker since 2010

NAF RTO southern UK
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

I have to admit that I'm amazed Mantic is spending the time and money. The pie of market for fantasy football is so small now that I cannot see this game selling enough to cover their costs. We've been using KickStarter because the payback for projects for Impact! has been approaching 2 to 3 years (yes ALL the sales of an item don't match it cost to produce until about 2 to 3 years later).

June sales were so slow for us that I received a $0 paycheck from the company (effectly unemployed for the month). So consider me amazed that they spent the cost (which was CONSIDERABLE) to have plastic moulds made to go into this product area. I know Mantic is MUCH bigger than Impact! but I've had to apply for a job recently (which I still have not heard back on) because of all the folks trying to make money in the football arena to try and keep my mortgage paid. So color me 4 shades of cynical about Mantic being happy about how this project turns out for them.

Tom

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

spubbbba wrote:*sigh*
Even tropics about non BB products get dragged into clawpomb debates on the 1st page now. :roll:
Not anymore it isn't.

If you want to discuss Clawpomb, then use a thread about it, don't clog up non-related threads.

On-topic, I hhave to echo Galak, I'm not sure there's the market out there for this - we already have Elfball, Grind(?) from PP plus others that I forget off-hand.
That said, I'll keep and eye out for it, if it's good, I might be interested, especially if it's an "all-in-one-box" release.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

Plastic moulds? They could go with their restic thing (not polystyrene plastic, and moulds that allow undercuts like spin cast metal miniatures), and probably will if they do it like they have done table top space game (the marines vs ratmen one, Project Pandora). That sure is a lot less money up front than full metal moulds for high pressure injected plastic.

Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

Pics are starting to appear. And they are learning, the models are painted. There seem to be 3 models per team, 2 of each, making 6 players per side, with a cute robo-referee.