On the same general topic - Pro Elf Throwers

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Toffer
Veteran
Veteran

On the same general topic - Pro Elf Throwers

Post by Toffer »

What about a Pro-Elf Thrower. I am thinking Accurate as a skill or maybe Safe Hands. Thoughts?

Reason: ''
daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Re: On the same general topic - Pro Elf Throwers

Post by daloonieshaman »

Safe Throw
"intercept this B#*$H!"
you do not have to work yourself or your catcher free

2014 Chaos Cup Stunty Cup
nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

I like accurate more, as intercepts are rare and avoidable.

it gives you better range and the ability to throw for a 2+ in a single tackle zone.

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

I like pro elf throwers as they are nice and cheap compared to linemen so you can happily have 2. Pass is useful to have and you can give them leader to save 30TV on a re-roll.

A common elven tactic is to leave your thrower deep to try and spread out the opposing defence. This works great against slow teams and gives you a chance to get your revenge on the bashers by elf-stalling them.

Accurate is certainly a decent choice and when combined with AG4 and pass I think that is enough as even long bombs will work 75% of the time. Safe throw isn’t really worth taking as interceptions are incredibly rare but Sure hands is nice to save re-rolls, protect from strip ball and gather loose balls on defence in tackle zones.

Blodge is always a good option as well since it will make your thrower useful when he doesn’t have the ball and give him protection when he does if the worst happens.

On doubles I’d give him guard as elfs can never have too much of that. If he gets the double early then turn him into a lineman and use the other thrower as ball carrier.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Post by daloonieshaman »

The only reason your INTs are that most coaches go out pf the way to not even allow the roll

2014 Chaos Cup Stunty Cup
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

I also like Pro-Elf Throwers because they are cheap and have Passing skills access.

In a league I give one of them Leader as first normal skill. A Leader caddy can also be very effective in a tournament, but only if the tourney allows plenty of skills (or you can buy them). When I run out of Linos, I don't hesitate to put a rookie Thrower on the line!

In practical play, I have found that passing does not matter much to Pro-Elves. They are just as happy with a hand-off. So they are not a passing team in the same way as High Elves. Sometimes, depending on the opposition, it may make sense to run the ball with a blodging Blitzer.

Hope that helps.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Toffer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Toffer »

Once again. Thanks all for your help.

Tojurub
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Tojurub »

On one thrower I would give Strom Arm.....in combination with Accurate you have almost an accurate Hail Mary Pass Thrower...keep him far back in the backfield and when it's time: throw a long bomb on a 3+ with a free RR

Nuffle Sucks! Heretic, NBA
www.biboba.de
Dave
Info Ed

Post by Dave »

Hi Torsten,
long time no see.

Strong Arm is a double these days (a Str skill) but it's the best option for any elf thrower on a double I suppose

Tojurub
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Tojurub »

I was still around, just not in this forum :D

I know Strong Arm is a STR-Skill....that's why I wrote it to be usefull for only one of the Throwers.....I just had that happening with my Elf Team in the league I'm in.....the other Thrower I'm trying to evolve similar to Dolfar Longstride, who is in my opinion one of the best and cheapest Starplayers for Elfs....quite effective as a ball distributor (I use him always with Hand-Offs to my Strong Arm Thrower....awesome combo)

Nuffle Sucks! Heretic, NBA
www.biboba.de
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

nazgob wrote:I like accurate more, as intercepts are rare and avoidable.
Mostly avoidable, but a common tactic is to chuck two catchers up field, then throw to the one who is still standing, then blitz out, so while the interception would still be on a 6 it's not entirely avoidable (as blitzing then throwing would make for a longer throw). You know this, but I thought I'd say it anyway :)

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Zagadoo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Zagadoo »

I like giving my first Thrower Kick as he will be playing off the line and it's a great skill for the team and then follow that up with leader. After that I give the second one accurate in the hopes of getting strong arm or an AG+. If I don't get that on the first/second skill I might take safe throw just for that rare interception, but more likely I would cut him if he doesn't get a double or ag boost by his third and start over.

Hitonagashi
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Hitonagashi »

Zagadoo wrote:I like giving my first Thrower Kick as he will be playing off the line and it's a great skill for the team and then follow that up with leader. After that I give the second one accurate in the hopes of getting strong arm or an AG+. If I don't get that on the first/second skill I might take safe throw just for that rare interception, but more likely I would cut him if he doesn't get a double or ag boost by his third and start over.
What's wrong with Blodge? :o

Zagadoo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Zagadoo »

Hitonagashi wrote:
Zagadoo wrote:I like giving my first Thrower Kick as he will be playing off the line and it's a great skill for the team and then follow that up with leader. After that I give the second one accurate in the hopes of getting strong arm or an AG+. If I don't get that on the first/second skill I might take safe throw just for that rare interception, but more likely I would cut him if he doesn't get a double or ag boost by his third and start over.
What's wrong with Blodge? :o
Nothing is wrong with Blodge. I prefer team utility (kick, leader) and throwing (accurate, strong arm, safe throw) first, then after that blodge would be fine.