Future hosts

The annual European clash of Nations.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Geggster
Eurobowl Superstar

Future hosts

Post by Geggster »

I mentioned this at the Captains' Meeting so we had agreement on who was in the reckoning on hosting the next one.

The rule is presently that the next host is the highest placed country (that has at least six qualifying participants) that hasn't hosted it before. And of course Austria were victorious this time.

I think that's a great rule but wonder if countries should come back into the cycle after an amount of time.

Or whether, as Tripleskulls mentioned recently, that countries should have played in a certain amount of events. Perhaps we don't want a new country taking part, finishing say 9th, but highest of those not hosted before and feeling duty-bound to host. Perhaps that wouldn't be a problem but within a couple more events we are going to have had 10 hosts from 9 countries (Italy twice to date) and starting to have hosting forced on countries rather than won.

With only 7 hosting countries from the 8 EBs to date, I don't think we need resolution yet, but just thought it was worthy of discussion.

Reason: ''
Geggster

Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when they find out, you're a mile away...... and you have their shoes.
Topper
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Future hosts

Post by Topper »

I agree with this on two accounts.
Hosting shouldn´t be forced upon one, and beeing very new to the tournament it could be.
Also realizing how massive a responsibility and time consuming thing it is to host this might take a few attends?
A third thing is, what if a country wins it, but can´t attend it themselves?

I therefor personally feel that after some time, be that 5-8 years or whatever, countries can come back in the pool again.
And I specifically feel that a team should have attended a series of times, perhaps 3, as that will help on the chances of having a good backfield of players willing to play and to help as staff etc.

juergen
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by juergen »

I am for and against the idea that a nation needs to attend a couple of times before "allowed" to host a Eurobowl
PRO: this nation knows about Eurobowl and they know what to expect
CON: every country can host a good Eurobowl but what if they can't travel to all Eurobowl to qualify for it (Hungary comes in mind, AFAIK they often don't attend because they can't afford the travel expenses.

How about something like this:
- to qualify for the Pool of next years host
-- the country needed to have attended at least 3 Eurobowls in the last 5 or 6 years
-- order them by # of hosted eurobowls ascending (0 austria, 0 belgium, ..., 1 england, .... , 2 italy)

- to be selcted as next host
-- offer the first nation with 0 hosted eb's that finished best at current eb to host the eurobowl (in this year: austria)
-- if they decline, offer it to the next (this year: belgium) and so on
-- if no nation with 0 hosted eb's are in the pool (or they all decline), go up with the nations that already hosted 1 eb and so on.

hope this wasn't to complicated to get my point ;-)

Juergen

Creator of Elfball.org - the Elfball website officialy approved by Impact Miniatures
mepmuff
Legend
Legend

Post by mepmuff »

I think that's elegant Juergen.

I would also expect a country that has little eurobowl experience to actually be quite ok with not hosting it. Perhaps some of the new teams can tell of us if they would have wanted to organize eurobowl 2013 if given the chance?

Fans do not have to be represented by models, but it's much more fun if they are!
Hanu
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Hanu »

Finland would NOT have resources for hosting it, thats for sure.

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

I like the idea of making it first refusal rather than telling a nation they are the next hosts.

I like the idea of letting the existing nations back in once a certain number of years have past ... however won't this prevent many of the 'lesser' nations ever hosting? For example if we let nations back in after 10 years, the member of the 'big six' who have done their ten years will probably finish highest of the eligible nations and so be the next hosts. So :

2013 : Austria hosts
2014 : Germany (last hosted 2004)
2015 : WC
2016 : England
2017 : open
2018 : Spain
2019 : WC
2020 : Italy or France
2021 : Italy or France
2022 : Denmark
2023 : WC (would have been open)
2024 : Germany or Denmark ...

So nations like Belgium, Wales, Portugal, Scotland etc have one shot every decade. And to be honest, we probably won't last that long. Can BB survive forever with no GW support?

If we make it 12 years then we instead get :

2013 : Austria hosts
2014 : open
2015 : WC
2016 : Germany
2017 : England
2018 : open
2019 : WC
2020 : Spain
2021 : Italy
2022 : France
2023 : WC
2024 : Denmark

So that's only one extra opening, although it is in the immediate future.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Northernknight
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Northernknight »

For the record, Wales were already throwing around some ideas of where in Cardiff we would have it, should we be the highest placed team and that we would LOVE to have it there in the future.

I also got the impression that Scotland would like to bring it to Edinburgh but I cant speak definitely for them obviously.

Turin
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Turin »

If Scotland was about to host it, I'd prefer Dufftown. Can you arrange a Single Malt flatrate? ;)

Blood Bowl ist ein Wintersport! Duda, Duda!

Topper
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Topper »

juergen wrote:I am for and against the idea that a nation needs to attend a couple of times before "allowed" to host a Eurobowl
PRO: this nation knows about Eurobowl and they know what to expect
CON: every country can host a good Eurobowl but what if they can't travel to all Eurobowl to qualify for it (Hungary comes in mind, AFAIK they often don't attend because they can't afford the travel expenses.

How about something like this:
- to qualify for the Pool of next years host
-- the country needed to have attended at least 3 Eurobowls in the last 5 or 6 years
-- order them by # of hosted eurobowls ascending (0 austria, 0 belgium, ..., 1 england, .... , 2 italy)

- to be selcted as next host
-- offer the first nation with 0 hosted eb's that finished best at current eb to host the eurobowl (in this year: austria)
-- if they decline, offer it to the next (this year: belgium) and so on
-- if no nation with 0 hosted eb's are in the pool (or they all decline), go up with the nations that already hosted 1 eb and so on.

hope this wasn't to complicated to get my point ;-)
I think this is the way to go. Easy to understand, makes sure that we don´t know who holds it (as the past holders don´t just get back in, one at a time), and that way a team isn´t forced to hold it. Great for everyone.

Niebling
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Niebling »

How about we just ask?

Their are only that many countries left whom can host. Just ask them, if you won the right to host would you like to? or would you prefer to wait a few years.

Then we would have an idea about if this is an issue or not.

Personly I would for it to go round robin, so than when everyone has hosted, we can open up for everyone! :)

ofc a rule like have to have played in 3 euro etc are not bad ideas, but I would start with just asking if they even want to

Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

A few thoughts:

We need something that allows those established nations who are willing and able to host Eurobowl but have not yet done so, to do the job.

Once this has happened then the others can host again; highest placed getting priority. I believe strongly that the 'smaller' BB nations should get their shot before the 'big guns' come back in. Of the remaining nations who have not hosted...

Belgium
Scotland
Switzerland
Hungary
Portugal
Finland
Wales
Sweden

...I would guess at least 3-4 of those would be 'willing and able' so this perhaps is a problem that will not crop up til maybe 2018/19. So rather a long way off... ;-)

It's nice for there to be suspense and competition on who wins the right. So I would try to keep that as much as possible.

The question of whether a (properly represented) nation should have attended a certain number of events is interesting. I guess this would have prevented Wales, Sweden or Finland from hosting should they have placed highest this year. Not sure that would be fair since they made the effort to travel + would have earned their placing on merit. Such a rule might also prevent Hungary from hosting if they were to attend and place highest in Austria.

If objectivity is required, perhaps the organisers of the previous Eurobowl could mediate - for example if the team's representiveness or their nation's ability to host the event were in doubt.

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
Turin
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Turin »

Pippy wrote:Such a rule might also prevent Hungary from hosting if they were to attend and place highest in Austria.
In Austria they'll attend their 3rd Eurobowl, so they would definitely be an option.

Blood Bowl ist ein Wintersport! Duda, Duda!

adhansa
Experienced
Experienced

Post by adhansa »

One of our goals as Sweden was playing for the host placement. We would have the wish and the organisation to host Eurobowl (with some from hints from former hosters). We beleive it would be an event that would strengthen the Swedish natioal BB community that is currently reasonably large but fractionalized in local communities with a little bit to big travelling distanses between. We would be disappointed if the current hosting principles were abondoned but not have any louder objections than that.

Daniel/Sweden

jj
Experienced
Experienced

Post by jj »

Hi guys , been following this thread and was thinking of a solution ; here might be one.

Each year you're present with a 'full' team (max 2 freebooters) the nation receives 1 point.
The nation that organises is reduced to zero and starts all over again.

After the final round you add the final points of the current eurobowl + the points they gathered during the previous years( see above).

I made some calculations and if we would have applied this system this year , france or italy would have hosted the next eurobowl (tie breaker imo would be the place the nation finishes in the current eurobowl hence france for this year).

france 41 points + 1 (2010 was in france so they start from zero) = 42
italy 40 points + 2 (2009 was in italy, so they get points for 2010 and 2012) = 42
and so on.

The advantages : everyone has a chance to organise it next time but you still have to play for it. The longer you participate the bigger the chances to organise it but you still have to make some results. example : the netherlands were the first to organize and have to wait 14 years to reorganize if no other countries (and we want more countries)join eurobowl.

any thoughts ?
grtz
jj

http://naf-id.appspot.com/naf_id/nafRaceId?r=cd&n=10488
Niebling
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Niebling »

I dont think how well you do in eurobowl over time should effect how often you can host the event.

isnt the idea about moving the event around that we get to see the world (Europa) and spreed the influence of BB?`

with your system the nation that do well will properly host the event 2 times more than the nations who dont do well... and why do we want that?

maybe we should define what we wish to optain bye moving the hosting around, else we might aswell pick one place central to everyone and always host it there, but whats the fun in that? :)