What is the best "Dungeon Crawl" board game out there??

For discussion of Elfball, Dreadball, Deathball, Grind and all other fantasy football games

Moderator: TFF Mods

The Painted Goblin
Star Player
Star Player

Re: What is the best "Dungeon Crawl" board game out there??

Post by The Painted Goblin »

Yeah you're right. No DM needed for Warhammer Quest.

It's all done by drawing cards. Each part of the dungeon is generated by drawing a card, as are wandering monsters etc etc.
The "AI" of the monsters is created by following rules such as "monsters attack equal number of heroes". So if there are 4 monsters and 4 heroes in range, they all get attacked by 1 monster each.

I made my own cards up by sticking address labels on some playing cards and writing the name of each section in permanent marker :lol:

Reason: ''
This week, I will be mostly painting.....Dwarven Warriors (WHFB)

What the photon is PHOTON?
Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

OK, thanks for clarifying...

just bought four expansions for Talisman.. :oops: :lol:

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

We play Quest quite often in our club - we love it - but it can turn out to be very frustrating, especially if you get lots of "events" in the first room or so, which turn out to be monster cards. Think our worst was 6 minotaurs, 12 Orc archers and other Orcs by the time we hit the 2nd room. :-?
If you do play Quest, it might be worthwhile making it a little easier for the kids, at least to start with.

Having said that, we also had a dungeon that we walked right through to the final room without seeing any monsters. :lol:

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

this is turning out to be quite the nostalgia trip for me.. when I started out (about 27 years ago :oops: :blue: ) I was into mostly RPG, so I picked up a few minis to represent my characters, or because I loved the minis, and painted them up one at a time..

after a hiatus (often refered to as discovering girls :smoking: ) I got back into the hobby, by which point it was all about armies and hordes and legions for some capitalistic reason.. :roll:

so it's really nice to look forward to painting up a few iconic characters and go back to my roots.. picked up some nice stock Reaper minis on the cheap today, will post some pics as I start to put a brush to them.. :D

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
tzoscey
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tzoscey »

in our club we prefer D&D boardgame to WQ, because its easier to play and faster to set up, its cooperative and it doesnt require an evil master to play.

if you want to go to a more roleplaying game, i would play descent... but it is not as easy to play as WQ or D&D

One Orc, Two Orc , Another injury
mepmuff
Legend
Legend

Post by mepmuff »

I got recommended mice and mystics when looking for a game with mini's that might interest my nine-year old.

http://www.plaidhatgames.com/games/mice-and-mystics

In the end I didnt get it because:
- there's quite a bit of text involved and the game being in english which would require on the spot translation (or a lot of prep time).
- the price was a bit much for me to buy this without having ever played it.

Fans do not have to be represented by models, but it's much more fun if they are!
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

tzoscey wrote:in our club we prefer D&D boardgame to WQ, because its easier to play and faster to set up, its cooperative and it doesnt require an evil master to play.
???? ???? ???? WQ doesn't need a "evil master". ???? ???? ????

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

It seems people think WQ needs a DM, this is the second time the issue appears in this thread.

Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

The first time I played WHQ we had a DM, so I never knew there was a random ruleset which meant you could game without one.

drathul
Experienced
Experienced

Post by drathul »

The random dungeon generation is a great deal of fun and it is the version recommended by the rules themselves for starting players. The boxed game also came with more elaborate rule that turned WHQ into a simplified version of DnD. So you could use it with the randomly generated dungeon at first then use the "advanced" rules to introduce them into rpgs and turn them into full geeks. That's currently my plan.

Life, one continuous interruption to my sleep

Ian White
Talarius
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Talarius »

Aino wrote: To my recollection, WHQ can be played totally randomised as well. By drawing the cards (some of which you can customise) provided in the game or rolling on the event/monster encounter charts (or whatever they are called) in the book
That's right. Unless you are playing the more advanced RPG-lite version, WHQ doesn't need a GM.

Rewslaun
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Rewslaun »

I'm glad to hear your family enjoyed Talisman. I think you should look into Descent 2.0. Fantasy Flight streamlined a lot of the game for the second edition. It's a much deeper game than Talisman but after 1 play your family will have no trouble catching on.

ChenZhen
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by ChenZhen »

Just dug out my warhammer quest game a couple of weeks back. So much stuff to sort out! :)

I played a few games back in the day. It was fun enough that I bought my own copy and a ton of the character packs. Never played after buying the stuff, though. Go figure...

Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

I think it's called OCD..

the same reason I have 4 unpainted 40K armies, each at least 100 minis plus in size... :roll: :blue:

ChenZhen
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by ChenZhen »

Norse wrote:I think it's called OCD..

the same reason I have 4 unpainted 40K armies, each at least 100 minis plus in size... :roll: :blue:
We prefer CDO... Alphabetical, you know :D

Oh, I get that part of it. I have decent sized wood elf, high elf, chaos warriors, beastman, dwarf, and a space marine armies. Only the wood elf and chaos were ever painted up.

So many hobby projects, so many other things to distract!