NAFC 2014 Painting Competition inc. new Duel category

Moderators: lunchmoney, Jimjimjimany, Boneless, deeferdan, TFF Mods

Joemanji
Power Gamer

NAFC 2014 Painting Competition inc. new Duel category

Post by Joemanji »

Hello all,

We had some requests last year to be more specific about the painting competition. So to lay everything out in the open :

* The competition will be judged by a small group of people selected by the tournament organisers. It will not be a public vote.
* During lunch on the Saturday we will ask anyone who wants to be considered to leave their team out for display. The judges will then select a shortlist to consider more fully during the rest of the weekend.
* We are looking primarily for high quality painting. Conversion work and presentation will be taken into account, and the "Wow!" factor will definitely play a big part. But we consider this to be mainly a painting competition.
* We will be awarding prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place.

Blood Bowl Duel Competition

In addition to the main painting prize, this year we will be running a "Duel" competition, similar to the GW Golden Daemon category.

* This will be a category decided by public vote.
* This category comprises two single models mounted on a single 40mm or 50mm Slottabase. The judges will be looking for a dynamic pairing of two well-matched opponents in some kind of dramatic situation occuring as part of a Blood Bowl match.
* This is a display category only - entries must not be needed as part of the team you are using during the tournament itself, and a condition of entry is that your model be displayed throughout the weekend.

Cheers
Joe

Reason: ''
*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
axiom
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: NAFC 2014 Painting Competition inc. new Duel category

Post by axiom »

Nice to see the premise behind the painting competition, as well as some great new additions. 1st/2nd/3rd places are a welcome addition, as is the duel competition (although I'd prefer a more BB term 'pitch diorama' or 'man-marking' perhaps?). I'm looking forward to thinking up something interesting to enter with.
Joemanji wrote:* We are looking primarily for high quality painting. Conversion work and presentation will be taken into account, and the "Wow!" factor will definitely play a big part. But we consider this to be mainly a painting competition.
For me, I disagree with this starting point; I think it should be best team. Painting will obviously have a big impact, but theme, conversions, coherency and basing are all in my view as important. I would choose a unique, excellently themed and modelled, well-painted team over a stock model superbly painted team every time. But then, customisation and conversions are what interest me, and everyone has different opinions ;)

Either way, I can't wait to see what turns up in 2014

http://www.magpieandoldlead.blogspot.co.uk/
http://www.beastfaceminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

Outstanding. I love that we have prior warning, and I love the new category.

Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

Joemanji wrote:* We are looking primarily for high quality painting. Conversion work and presentation will be taken into account, and the "Wow!" factor will definitely play a big part. But we consider this to be mainly a painting competition.
axiom wrote: For me, I disagree with this starting point; I think it should be best team. Painting will obviously have a big impact, but theme, conversions, coherency and basing are all in my view as important. I would choose a unique, excellently themed and modelled, well-painted team over a stock model superbly painted team every time. But then, customisation and conversions are what interest me, and everyone has different opinions ;)
I don't think there's a huge difference between your points of view. Joe's just saying that flashy conversions and display bases are less important than painting per se, though also important in their own way.

Very subjective category. Good job for making the effort to be more transparent about decision making process. Good job on the 'Duel' contest as well. I have a diorama to paint for the Geordie Bowl best painted prize so perhaps I can enter it a both tourneys.

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Pippy wrote:I don't think there's a huge difference between your points of view. Joe's just saying that flashy conversions and display bases are less important than painting per se, though also important in their own way.
Indeed.

Don't get me wrong, conversion work will be recognised by the judges.

I'll try to word this better. We are looking for quality of painting first, with conversion work a close second and presentation (e.g. scenic bases) third.

Look at it like this : A beautifully painted team with no conversions can possibly win. A beautifully converted team painted badly will not.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Joemanji wrote:A beautifully converted team painted badly will not.
Darn ;)

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I prefer (and vote for) a well-painted converted team over an excellently painted "stock" team any day (which is why I keep trying to run a "Team I'd most like to own" award at the ARBBL, but fail miserably).

But seeing as the best I can do is a poorly-painted, poorly converted team, it doesn't really matter to me either way! :lol:

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
axiom

Post by axiom »

Joemanji wrote:
Pippy wrote:I don't think there's a huge difference between your points of view. Joe's just saying that flashy conversions and display bases are less important than painting per se, though also important in their own way.
Indeed.

Don't get me wrong, conversion work will be recognised by the judges.

I'll try to word this better. We are looking for quality of painting first, with conversion work a close second and presentation (e.g. scenic bases) third.

Look at it like this : A beautifully painted team with no conversions can possibly win. A beautifully converted team painted badly will not.
All makes sense to me - it's not how I'd judge it (I'm along with Darkson here), but it is great you're setting out the stall in terms of what you're looking for. It adds clarity in terms of how the thing works :)

http://www.magpieandoldlead.blogspot.co.uk/
http://www.beastfaceminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
robsoma
Star Player
Star Player

Post by robsoma »

Ooh think i will have a bash at the duel category!

Justice for the Agribowla Three!!!
Mr. Nuffle
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Mr. Nuffle »

Aye Aye Rob,

This new part of the competition most certainly sparked me as well.
I might participate this year with "something"...

Great initiative!

Thanks.

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

I'm very tempted to have a bash at this, but I'm not a converter at all and my painting is not the greatest, but I did find a couple of minis in my collection the other day while having a dig through that inspired me a bit...they could work.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Hi Joe,
do you have to be there to win? We have some quality modellers who are interested but can't make it.

Mike

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Answered YES by email, but the models have to be under the care of someone who is coming, rather than being posted or anything like that.

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Just started my Duel entry. Won't win, but should be entertaining :)

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

sann0638 wrote:do you have to be there to win? We have some quality modellers who are interested but can't make it.
No, if you want to give an entry to a friend that is fine. However they will be responsible for it as the refs won't have time to organise that kind of thing. This is a 'for this year only' stipulation to raise interest in a new category. If it proves popular we may change this in future years.

Btw, you do have to be there to win the 'Best Painted' team award as usual.

But why wouldn't anyone want to come? :D Just look at the list of entrants to see how many people are coming from around the world for this event. If you make one BB tourney in the UK this year ... this is the big one!