Skaven, 1.15, bought skills, trying to use Fezglitch

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Gaixo
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Skaven, 1.15, bought skills, trying to use Fezglitch

Post by Gaixo »

So...I've run skaven in several leagues (none too recent) but never a tournament. I'm playing in tomorrow's Bacon Bowl, which is:

-Can buy unlimited skills from that pool but 1 max per player, 2 max of any skill, no doubles on big guys.

-2 free bribes BUT...

-Fouling is a hassle because there are 2(!) refs on the field and any foul within 3 squares of either is automatic ejection. Refs can be killed and then all fouling goes for the rest of the half, but I don't think this will happen very often because it's risky to attempt (ejected if you can't KO the AV 5 ref; maybe worthwhile to pursue if you've got cheap linemen).

So yeah, sort of involved. Anyway, I'm going to run skaven and am trying to take Fezglitch for fun. Help me out! Right now I've got:
-The aforementioned Fezglitch
-1 thrower w/leader
-2 blitzers w/1 guard, 1 MB
-4 runners w/1 block, 1 dauntless, 1 strip ball (am tempted to take two blockers)
-4 linemen w/1 kick, 1 frenzy

Reason: ''
babass
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Skaven, 1.15, bought skills, trying to use Fezglitch

Post by babass »

2 free Bribes!
Very nice ruleset for skaven actually (there are good at low tv)

I would change a bit your skills selection:

-The aforementioned Fezglitch
-1 thrower w/leader
-2 blitzers w/1 guard, 1 MB
-4 runners w/1 block, 1 block, 1 strip ball, 1 kick (kick is much better on gutter, as on linemen... especially if you have only 4 linemen, and 12 players..)
-4 linemen w/, 1 wrestle (much better as frenzy, if you want a frenzy in your team, put it on the blitzer, instead of MB)

i do not count, how team rroll do you have this with this roster?
If very few, i would be temped to take a surehand (instead of a block)

Gaixo

Post by Gaixo »

Thanks for the response.

2 rerolls currently, plus the leader.

I had considered putting the frenzy on a blitzer, but there are several goblins and a couple Norse registered so far, so I thought I might make good use of the MB.

Hmmm.

goldbaek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by goldbaek »

Unfortunately I didn't see your post until now... So it's a bit late to be useful but I'd probably go with babass' skill selection except that I'd swap one of the Runners' Block for Wrestle (you need that against Sure Hands ball carriers) and leave the Linos unskilled.

Also, some combination of Guard / MB / Tackle on the Blitzers would be my preferred choice - I seldom go for Tackle but if you're anticipating lots of Goblin opponents it might be useful. On the other hand, without the Rat Ogre on the roster it would be nice with just one Blitzer with MB... But Guard is always nice to have - especially versus Norse...

What did you end up with and how did you do?

Gaixo

Post by Gaixo »

It went okay!

I switched the Mighty Blow to Frenzy, Frenzy to Wrestle, and Dauntless to Block. I never used Strip Ball or Wrestle, though much of that was down to my opponents (lots of Sure Hands) or to my failings (the Wrestler was always getting tied up).

Narrowly defeated Chaos Pact (1-0) and then Nurgle (2-1) to play on the top table in the third (and final) round versus an undead team helmed by a gifted coach. Two casualties on his first turn and another on mine (gutter runner failing a 3+ dodge that would have probably allowed me to steal the ball) set the tone for the game. I was down to one runner by halftime, and by the sixteenth turn it was just Fezglitch (who had somehow survived multiple mummy attacks) and a lone lineman trying (but failing) to chase down a ghoul. 2-0 loss; 4th-place out of 16.

Skaven were fun and I'm sure they could have been a bit more competitive with an extra player and apothecary instead of Fezglitch. There's another one-day tournament next week and I'm considering taking them again. I think it will be 100% hard-hitting teams, though, so perhaps not.

goldbaek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by goldbaek »

Interesting that you might chose which team to play based on which teams you expect your opponents to bring... Never really done that myself. For me it has usually been a combination of a) which team do I feel like playing, b) which teams have I painted up, c) which teams would be most fun / competitive within the specific ruleset and d) which teams have I not already played in a NAF tourney.

But nice to hear that you did that well in the last tourney! Gratz! :)

Next Saturday I'm going to a 1-day tourney and bringing Skaven as well. Just handed in this roster to the Orcanizer:

Rat Ogre - Juggernaught
Blitzer - Tackle
Gutter Runner - Leap/Wrestle/Strip Ball
Gutter Runner - Block/Side Step/Shadowing
Gutter Runner - Kick
Thrower - Leader
4 * linemen, 1 * Gutter Runner, 1 * Blitzer - all rookies
2 * RRs, 1 * FF, 1 * Apothecary

Gaixo

Post by Gaixo »

There are certain regions in the U.S. where everyone runs grind teams. When visiting those, we often adopt a "When in Rome..." attitude. (I took Pact. 4th place again.)

Nice list, though I'm not a huge fan of Leap. Being able to take several skills on one player obviously makes a huge difference.

goldbaek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by goldbaek »

Okay, if EVERYONE brings bash teams it makes sense...

The Leap/Wrestle/Strip Ball GR was really good but I wouldn't bring a Leap GR if stacking wasn't allowed. Not only did he sack the ball carrier (almost) at will, he also scored a TD because he was able to leap out of danger. Good stuff.

I finished 3rd overall (of 12 coaches) and only lost to the eventual winner of the tourney. Had I won that match, I'd won the entire thing... Oh, and I also won the prize for most TDs. Not too bad, me thinks :)