Hobgoblin Team (Tier 1,5)

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

Bakunin
Star Player
Star Player

Hobgoblin Team (Tier 1,5)

Post by Bakunin »

Sneaky beyond belief, the hobgoblins know that there is only one way to win at blood bowl: Cheating! With a little luck, swindling and bribing may just make up for their inadequacies in the legal parts of blood bowl.:

0-16 Sneaky Gits: Sneaky Git 6337 G/ASP 40K

0-2 Brute Gits: Block, Shadowing 7337 GAS/P 90K

0-2 Clevva Gits: Strip Ball, Sure Hands 8337 GA/SP 90K

0-2 Cunnin' Gits: Dodge, Side Step, Stab 7337 GA/SP 100K

0-1 Troll: Loner, Always Hungry, Mighty Blow, Really Stupid, Regeneration, Throw Team-Mate. 4519 S/GAP 110K

Reroll 60K
Starplayers: BOMBER DRIBBLESNOT, UGROTH BOLGROT, XTALL IRONHAND, RIPPER, VARAG GHOUL-CHEWER, MORG ’N’ THORG

New version:

Reason: ''
Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
Bakunin
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Hobgoblin Team (Tier 1)

Post by Bakunin »

Hobgoblin starplayer:

XTALL IRONHAND

Hobgoblin Thrower 170K 6 3 4 7 Sneaky Git, Pass, Loner, Hail Mary Pass, Big Hand, Dauntless

Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
Magictobe
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Magictobe »

Troll for free or did you forget the price :wink:

Bakunin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Bakunin »

Magictobe wrote:Troll for free or did you forget the price :wink:
troll for 110k as normal :smoking:

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

Did you see the previous suggestions for a team? Not tier one though, more the 'fun' team style.

Hobgoblins occupy a vital rung of the blood bowl world. Without them the game would be poorer for lack of cheap have-a-go assassins, grave robbers, gutter press reporters and personal accident insurance agents. In Chaos Dwarf teams Hobgoblin slaves perform the vital function of giving the Dwarves something to boss around, otherwise they invariably try and enslave each other.

But Hobgoblin teams are surprisingly rare. Their natural traits of cowardice and stupidity don’t lend themselves to bloodbowl. They lack the agility and innovation of a goblin or the robustness of an Orc. The unimaginatively named Hobgoblin Team is the only one to have found at least fame. Its rivals dream of such fortunes but languish in the little leagues. But when the opposition is a no show and the venue owner is desperate, Hobgoblin teams have the chance for a quick buck. Poorly trained and armoured they aren’t much, but woe betides the player foolish enough to turn their backs or hit the dirt!

0-16 Hobgoblins 6/3/3/7 G/APS 40k
0-4 Sneaky Gits 6/3/3/7 Sneaky Git G/APS 60k
0-4 Backstabers 6/3/3/7 Stab G/APS 60k
0-1 Troll 110k
RR 70k
Stars
Lost and Confused 6/3/3/7 Bonehead, Loner 20k
Skurfrik Stone-Sucker 6/3/3/8, Really Stupid, Loner, Wrestle, Fend, Dirty Player 70k
Rashnak Backstabber (200k),
Ripper (270k)
Morg ‘n’ Thorg (430k)

Some other star in the sub 200 category.

Lost and confused is the type of player frequently fielded by Hobgoblin teams. Not a star, or even a journeyman player, but a regular hobgoblin lost in the big city and making the mistake of looking to others of its ilk for help. One helmet fitting later and it is onto the field for its first (and normally last) Blood Bowl appearance!

The idea between him (deliberately very cheap to encourage such fodder to be taken with some spare gold), the troll and Skurfrik is there is enough bonehead and really stupid on the pitch to give the feel of a bunch of players who got the looks? and not the brains, while the opportunistic sneaky git fouling and general stabbing going on makes 'em nice and dirty.

The team doesn't start with dirty player in the same way Chaos doesn't start with block. Stab and Sneaky git are hard to attain and signiture skills so are avalible from the start.

Bakunin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Bakunin »

I see no point in adding new teams, if they are not tier 1 or tier 1,5.

babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

Bakunin wrote:I see no point in adding new teams, if they are not tier 1 or tier 1,5.
But Hobgobelin are definitly not the rigt-race to be eligible to be a tier1 roster. Following the fluff around this race itself.

legowarrior
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by legowarrior »

The Sneaky Gits and the Brute Gets are interesting. The rest of the team isn't.

Also, I don't think a tier 1 team is all that interesting to begin with. The fun of the halflings and goblins is overcoming the teams shortcomings and planning to their strengths.

As a tier 2 team, this is what I see

0 - 16 - 40k Linesmen - 6/3/3/7 Sneaky Git - G/ASP
0 - 2 - 70k Thrower - 6/3/3/7 Dump Off, Pass - GP/AP
0 - 4 - 80k Catcher - 7/3/3/7 Catch, Dodge - GA/SP
0 - 4 - 90k Blitzer - 6/3/3/8 Block, Fend - GS/AP

The game is about being underhanded and being Selfish (Cowardly).

The throwers want to hold on to the ball and be glory hounds, but when push comes to shove, they'll dump off as fast as possible. The catchers are pretty standard and the Blitzers try to stop the opposing player from getting to close (hence Fend). This isn't perfect at all, because I put it together in a few minutes, but I could see myself playing it.

I did like the idea of both Block and shadowing on a blitzer, but I prefer a slower, more well protected blitzer for the hobgoblins than you do, so Shadowing doesn't fit,

No Special players like the Dark Elves though, but I don't know how a Hobgoblin Assassin would look? Stab and Sneaky Git?

Bakunin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Bakunin »

babass wrote:
Bakunin wrote:I see no point in adding new teams, if they are not tier 1 or tier 1,5.
But Hobgobelin are definitly not the rigt-race to be eligible to be a tier1 roster. Following the fluff around this race itself.
In the warhammer fluff, the Free Hobgoblins are the monguls hoard roaming the mountains and steppes (mongolia) north of the chaos dwarfs wates.
They do this on big Wolfs and with them they raid Cathay (China). They are the one responsible for the great wall (of china) in the warhammer world.
So I would say that yes, it is a rare sight to see the sneaky gits hobgoblin team on the pitch, but when you do - watch out or else they will out run you and out-trick you.

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

Do you see the problem though that you have taken a player type who is sub average and tried to make a powerful team? It is telling there isn't one single hobgoblin in the whole team. Your base ones all have a double skill.

I get you point out int he Warhammer background they can be dangerous - but so can goblins. Turns out one on one in blood bowl a goblin is stuffed by a dwarf, but 100 to 1 in the Dwarves homes the goblins oddly win. I would suggest the roving hobgoblins are hogoblin hordes?

Bakunin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Bakunin »

Chris wrote:Do you see the problem though that you have taken a player type who is sub average and tried to make a powerful team? It is telling there isn't one single hobgoblin in the whole team. Your base ones all have a double skill.
?

But thats the most weird thing in blood bowl - fluff wise. The most sneaky race in the game, that is also known by its most famous faction in the warhammer fluff as sneaky gits - dont have the skill of the same name or is able to take it on a normal roll. Hobgoblins really should start with sneaky git. Or give them A access (but that would make the CD to good in a league with diving tackle and dodge), or make sneaky git a G -skill.

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

But that is easy to hand wave away by saying they are known for their most successful members of the species - their sneaky gits who rise highest and achieve most (they rolled a double). Like germans are famed for engineering, or the swiss for clocks etc etc.

If you want to reflect their fluff you want lots of nasty play - so teaming up on players, kicking them when they are down, opportunistic fouls - as well as the reflection of their stupidity which is also remarked on. When goign for an effect you want the players to walk away after the game feeling the team is a bunch of stupid yet dirty players for whom falling on the ground in front of is a bad idea. A few stupid rolls by a troll and a makewieght star player, a dozen fouls from a few sneaky gitz and dirty players and object achieved. You don't walk away from a chaos game where only a few players have block thinking they aren't a very aggressive team.

Bakunin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Bakunin »

Theres nothing in the newer fluff that says that they are stupid. Thats only really old blood bowl fluff.

Bakunin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Bakunin »

JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

Funny, I see no point in adding teams that ARE tier 1 or 1,5.

Game balance is hard as it is, espescially in BBowl. And the lower teams add more fun to the game IMHO. I mean, why so serious..? :)
But I'd love to see a hobgoblin team with indeed a lonely troll.

It's an easy game to screw up, just wait and see what GW will come up with.