Necro for the World Cup in Lucca

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dr. Von Richten »

So, I'm going to the World Cup in Lucca this November, like many of you (I hope), and I'm taking my Necro Team. Partially because I also played them at the previous World Cup in Amsterdam (which was my first Tournament ever, and I won my first game there, yay me! 8) ), but also because they're ranked as a Tier 2 Team, which means they get two extra Skills (compared to Tier 1) on the first day, one of which will be a double.

The Team will be:

2 Werewolves = 2 x 120.000 = 240.000
2 Flesh Golems = 2 x 110.000 = 220.000
2 Wights = 2 x 90.000 = 180.000
2 Ghouls = 2 x 70.000 = 140.000
4 Zombies = 4 x 40.000 = 160.000
2 Rerolls = 2 x 70.000 = 140.000
1 Cheerleader = 1 x 10.000 =10.000
1 assistant Coach = 1 x 10.000 =10.000

Total = 1.100.000

The Skills I can get will be:

Day 1: 4 normais + 1 double
Day 2: 1 normal + 1 double
Day 3: 2 normals OR 1 double OR 1 normal skill on a player that already has a skill (not clear IMO if this first skill must be a normal one of if it can be a double; I'm assuming the former.)

I've tried several options, but I'm not sure yet what works best, in particular, what double I should take on day 2 and what option on day 3.

Day one will probably be: Mighty Blow (double) on a Werewolf, Block on the other Werewolf, Block on a Flesh Golem, Guard on a Wight, Block on a Ghoul.
Day two will then be: Block on the other Flesh Golem, ??? on the Wight .

Dodge on the Wight (the usual double on a Wight) seems weak, Guard or Mighty Blow are good, but waste the double. I could also give Leader to the Wight (or to the Flesh Golem, giving the Wight Guard), but I find it to be such a passive skill and therefore a bit of a waste.

Day three would be Block on the MB Werewolf if that's allowed, Tackle on the Block Werewolf if it isn't. Alternative would be Block or Wrestle on the other Ghoul and Block on a Zombie.

Alternative Plan:

Day one will probably be: Mighty Blow (double) on a Werewolf, Block on both Flesh Golems, Guard on a Wight, Block on a Ghoul.
Day two will then be: Mighty Blow (double) on the other Werewolf, Guard on the other Wight.
Day three will be: Block on a Werewolf if that's allowed, if not, Wrestle on the other Ghoul and Block on a Zombie.

The mayor disadvantage with this plan is that I have 2 Blockless Werewolfs running around causing turnovers.

So, what would you do?

Have I overlooked anything, is there a mayor flaw in my reasoning, has anything in particular worked for you (or failed to do so)?

Any advice is welcome! :)

Reason: ''
Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Necro for the World Cup in Lucca

Post by Pedda »

I think you need more rerolls with the bockless wolves.
I don't think leader is a bad choice for a double to mitigate the blockless wolves and I think you need guard on both wights.

I've tried the mighty blow wolf and I personally didn't like it.
To prone to turnovers and it's not garanteed to work. I'd rather go for

Day 1: 2x Block on the Wolves, Leader on a Zombie, Block on a FG, Guard on a Wight
Day 2: Block on a FG, Guard on a Ghoul
Day 3: Guard on a Whight, Block on a Ghoul

I'm probably in a minority though

straume
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by straume »

Hi there!

I also will be bringing Necro to the World Cup and have done a few matches with playtesting.

There is nothing wrong with the team posted in the OP, but I guess slight tweaks down to playstyle/personal preference is on order.

My current set up is same as you except ditch one ghoul and get two zombies (and 13 players).

Necro is kind of fragile and can easily get outnumbered/bashed to pieces, so I figure some bench is nice. Also against the Elves some bench to afford that foul on the wardancer might be useful.

As for skills, this is me (atm):

Day1:
MB, Wolf
Block, Wolf
Block, Golem
Sure Hands, Ghoul (this is a tough one, but with only two rerolls I feel I need it)
Guard, Wight

Day2:
Zombie, Leader
Golem, Guard

Day3:
Wight, Guard
Zombie, Wrestle or kick (or even Dirty player if I am feeling silly)

I am considering ditching the leader and take the Guard wight at day2. And for Day3 get Block on the ghoul for a second skill. But that Leader will probably be handy...with quite a few blockless wolf blitzes and the inevitable 3+ to win it on T16 :-?

Willi
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Willi »

Seems like we are getting lots of Necros at the World Cup.

I will probably go for the same roster. Not so sure about the skills. ATM I tend towards:
Day 1: Block on both wolves (I don´t like the MB route, I want them to be more reliable)
Sure Hands on Ghoul (only 2 RR require that imho)
Tackle on Wight
Guard on other Ghoul (having a mobile Guard could be handy)
Day 2: Block on both Golems or Block one and Guard on Wight
Day 3: Block on 2nd Golem or Guard on Wight and ???

Rent me. I`m German.
Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Thankx for the responses.

I feel that no MB on at least one Wolf is seriously wasting the potential of Claw, which in turn is one of the mayor draws of the team in the first place.

Sure Hands on a Ghoul is indeed a good idea with only 2 rerolls

I like Block on Golems over Guard, and Guard on Wights ...

... but Tackle on a Wight could save the day against Elves ...

... or it could be useless dead weight

Leader on a Zombie I don't like, because it will be on the LOS on defense, which means that it will be Blocked and/or Fouled ASAP ...

... Unless I skip one Ghoul and run with 13 players, which is also not a bad idea ...

... But then that mobile Guard isn't going to happen ...

... though it wouldn't happen anyway if I take MB on a Wolf and Leader on a Something Else

Decisions, decisions!

More advice is needed!

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

One of my team-mates tried M-Blow on the Puppies at the last World Cup. It was not successful, I recommend you go with the "boring" block instead.

Hope that helps.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Smeborg wrote:One of my team-mates tried M-Blow on the Puppies at the last World Cup. It was not successful, I recommend you go with the "boring" block instead.

Hope that helps.
Heh, I actually played you then, remember? :D I think your mate even came up to me too discuss Necro strategy, but I had no clue then, ... just like now! :P

I can understand the logic, but what do I do with those doubles then? I'd hate to waste them.

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

Claw+Mighty Blow is terrifying and as much as I don't want to encourage that combo (I'm playing Dwarves at the WC), it's the best use of the very strong bonus tier 2 teams get.

Also, a MB wolf can get Block on day 3.

Whoever decided that Necros are tier 2 in this format owes every non-Necro player a drink ;)

Not having Block on a Frenzy player is risky, sure. You'll have to protect the wolf, and you'll either need to save rerolls for his blitzes, or accept the occasional turnover. But he's a crazy good weapon.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

rolo wrote: Also, a MB wolf can get Block on day 3.
Are you sure about this? The rules package is IMO unclear about whether the 'second skill on a player who already has a skill' can be given to a player if his first skill was a double.

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

Dr. Von Richten wrote:
rolo wrote: Also, a MB wolf can get Block on day 3.
Are you sure about this? The rules package is IMO unclear about whether the 'second skill on a player who already has a skill' can be given to a player if his first skill was a double.
It's been clarified. The Day 3 rules for Tier 1 teams reads:
"2 Regular Skills OR 1 Double Skill OR 1 Skill to a player that has already received a regular skill (but not a double skill)."

Tier 2 and 3 read:
"2 Regular Skills OR 1 Double Skill OR 1 Skill to a player that has already received one."

Source: http://www.thenaf.net/wp-content/upload ... s-Pack.pdf

Gaixo
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Gaixo »

rolo wrote:Whoever decided that Necros are tier 2 in this format owes every non-Necro player a drink ;)
This was actually decided by polling national level NAF staffers to find the most popular tier divisions from each country. Norse and necromantic were both on the cusp between tiers one and two. Necro were moved down to two because they were slightly lower than Norse in that polling, but also because they had less representation and lower scores at the previous World Cup.

With that having been said, any necro coaches who want to buy me drinks are welcome to do so. :smoking:

Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

rolo wrote: It's been clarified. The Day 3 rules for Tier 1 teams reads:
"2 Regular Skills OR 1 Double Skill OR 1 Skill to a player that has already received a regular skill (but not a double skill)."

Tier 2 and 3 read:
"2 Regular Skills OR 1 Double Skill OR 1 Skill to a player that has already received one."

Source: http://www.thenaf.net/wp-content/upload ... s-Pack.pdf
Thanks a lot for that info; it significantly changes things! :o :D

Dark Duke
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dark Duke »

It is still not 100% clear to me: 1 skill = any skill (regular or double)? Or 1 skill = 1 regular skill?

Life is short, block fast.
Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Dark Duke wrote:It is still not 100% clear to me: 1 skill = any skill (regular or double)? Or 1 skill = 1 regular skill?
I'm assuming it is a regular skill. Another double would be too good to be true :wink:

rolo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by rolo »

Dr. Von Richten wrote:I'm assuming it is a regular skill. Another double would be too good to be true :wink:
Since one of the other options is a double skill on an otherwise unskilled player, I doubt it.