Ol' Dirty Bastet

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Ol' Dirty Bastet

Post by rolo »

My first Superstar, ever, is a Thro-Ra named Ol' Dirty Bastet, of the Ungrateful Undead:
http://www.bomfur.de/obblm/index.php?se ... &obj_id=77

He scored his 20th touchdown last night in a 2-1 win over Chaos. I have no idea what I'm going to give him.

He already has Block, Kickoff Return, Fend, and +MA. He rolled a normal skill (6+3).
I know that the strongest move is probably to take Leader, fire his teammate Vanilla Isis (gimpy -MA Thro-Ra with Block, Leader, Fend, Kick). But I long ago decided to just deal with the slow movement and keep Vanilla - he's part of the team's identity now and he's in it until he drops.

Although I try to avoid fielding ODB on defense when I can avoid it, I'm still considering defense-like skills such as Tackle or Dauntless. Shadowing or Pass Block might be cute once in a while but I don't see them being really useful.
Accurate might make the passing game ... I won't say "better", but maybe "less immediately awful". Hail Mary Pass could be surprisingly useful for punting and/or desperation 3-turner plays.
Frenzy is right out, as my main ball carrier, when he blocks it's to get *away* from an opponent.

Am I missing anything obvious? (Besides "finally get rid of Vanilla Isis and start training up a new Thro-Ra who might just roll +AG").

Reason: ''
"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
Sainthropee
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Ol' Dirty Bastet

Post by Sainthropee »

What about Jump Up or NoS?

"Vice is a miscalculation in the pursuit of happiness"
(J. Bentham)
rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

Jump Up is sadly out because he can't take Agility skills (otherwise I'd take dodge).

I hasn't really considered Nerves, I guess I just can't really think of situations where it would be useful.

Sainthropee
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Sainthropee »

doble post, sorry.

(J. Bentham)
Sainthropee
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Sainthropee »

rolo wrote:Jump Up is sadly out because he can't take Agility skills (otherwise I'd take dodge).

I hasn't really considered Nerves, I guess I just can't really think of situations where it would be useful.

yeah, my bad with Jump Up.

And yes, probably Accurate is better than NoS improving passing game. (If you use fisrt Thro-Ra to pick the ball and the second to receive the ball in traffic, could be useful)

PS: I'll take a second leader or tackle, but that's depend on my style of playing.

(J. Bentham)
rolo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by rolo »

Sainthropee wrote:PS: I'll take a second leader or tackle, but that's depend on my style of playing.
It's Khemri, so I'm a bit limited by play style. A typical drive by ODB involved him getting the ball somehow or other, running into a cage, taking a few 1d blocks from leaping wardancers / players dodging into cages / that kind of thing. Which feels like it works more than it should. Then running in the score on turn 8.

I'd considered Pro, it's half a reroll on dodging, blocking, go for its, and whatever ... sometimes there's no Team Reroll available. But I just have to face the reality that there's really no game-changer I can take as a fifth skill.

pauli42
Veteran
Veteran

Post by pauli42 »

You dont have many tacklers..and he is fast..so why not take tackle?

rolo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by rolo »

You're right, and I'll probably end up taking Tackle or maybe Pro ...

ODB is kind of a wuss though and hates playing defense ;)

babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

i won't go for pro.
that guy have already skill that allowed him to reroll what he would have to reroll (like surehands), and if you do a double skull or failed a dodge, you will most of the time to use a team rr, as he is your ball carrier.

Strip Ball or Tackle (depending of your next opponents) sound like imo the best skill choices for this player regarding your team

Twelfman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Twelfman »

Do you have a piece with Kick yet?

Or you mention Hail Mary Pass. I reckon that's a good shout. Obviosuly it'd only be if you were desparate, but you never know.

Or, if no one else has it, Strip Ball. He's MV6, so he could use it.

rolo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by rolo »

I ended up taking Hail Mary Pass. Even if I never use it, maybe it'll at least affect my opponent's defense. And who knows? If the offense breaks down, and he ends up in trouble, a situation all too common on Khemri teams, it might at least prevent my opponent from scoring from defense.

Tackle and Strip Ball were probably the objectively better choices (I have no Strip Ball and only two Tackle). But since I try to avoid fielding ODB on defense, and he's my main ball carrier on offense, neither of those would be used often. (I don't expect to use HMP often either, but at least it'll be fun when I do and maybe I'll catch my opponent off guard on - something which basically never happens with Khemri). And the beautiful thing about HMP is that it's just a flat 2+ roll, not modified by tackle zones or anything. With a built-in reroll!