To Rat Ogre or not to Rat Ogre

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

To Rat Ogre or not to Rat Ogre

Post by Dr. Von Richten »

Hey all,

I have a young Skaven Team in our local Scheduled Rookie League. Starting at 1000 TV, after 6 matches the team looks like this:

1 Blitzer with Claw
1 Blitzer with Mighty Blow and Piling On
1 Gutter Runner with Block
2 Gutter Runners with Wrestle
1 Gutter Runner with Block and +AG
1 Thrower with Block
4 Linerats with nothing

3 Rerolls, 1 Apo, 6 FF

TV 1270

My next match is against Chaos Dwarfs, who look like this:

1 Minotaur with nothing
1 Bull Centaur with nothing
2 Chaos Dwarfs with Guard
4 Chaos Dwarfs with nothing
1 Hobgoblin with Block
1 Hobgoblin with Guard
1 Hobgoblin with +AG
1 Hobgoblin with nothing

3 Rerolls, Apo, 6 FF

TV 1330

I have 220k in the Bank, so I could buy a Rat Ogre and have 70k left, giving my opponent 90k inducements, which means Zharg Madeye. Or I could just buy a Linerat, giving neither of us any inducements.

A Rat Ogre gives me a Cage-Breaking ability that I currently not have, but he's expensive and relatively fragile.

After this match I face Underworld, Necro and another Chaos Dwarf team.

Would you get the Big Guy or not?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom!

Reason: ''
Shushnik
Rookie
Rookie

Re: To Rat Ogre or not to Rat Ogre

Post by Shushnik »

I normally wouldn't get a rat ogre, but I also wouldn't build a skaven team like that. Given your bashy rat setup, the rat ogre makes an effective threat to free your blitzers to run amok. I think he's worth the TV in your scheme.

JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

At least an extra player. I'm afraid you need the reserve.

No MB on the opponents team, so I'd be inclined to go for the RO. Go bull-hunting with it. After that, the mino, if the mino survived your blitzer. Or your blitzers got mauled by the dwarfs...

... Still not sure. Roll a dice! Odds is.... Even is...

Who are you up against? :)

Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

I'm playing against Jelmer, so it won't be easy no matter what I do.

sirsebstar
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by sirsebstar »

Given your lineup, you can use another mb player. personally i love the rat ogre, as i love all big guys. WA means you can use an action, and you need to pay attention to that.
Having said this, the RatOgre is not worth it at this point. With skills it might have use, but for your team as it is, it is too valuable.
Yes you can go for a 12th player lineman/ogre, but i would use a dirty trick, since after all you are rats. Use the time and low amount of players to level up your key players. get some casualties then you have freebooters holding the line.

with 12 players you are just looking as a casualty or 2 and with no money to replace them, you might be in a world of pain.
Also, although big J might take zarg, he also could take a 5th rookie loner hobgoblin, which would, even if you are lucky, means he can do stuff with balls, and take risks like lineduty without problems.

Overall, safe the cash untill you can buy a 13 or 14 player squad. thats my advise.
i suggest you dont listen to me, i know nothing about this game ;-)

Vinz D.
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vinz D. »

Buying rookie Rat Ogres at this point will mean you do have a ST5 player on your squad, but at the same time grant your opponent a fair amount of free inducements / skills to compensate. As hard as the match might be, I'd advice against buying the Rat Ogre and go for a large bench instead.

If you buy a Rat Ogre, the Minotaur compensates that effort, with the Guard players that he has (and you don't) give a certain amount of defence that you can not compensate against. The only boon in the match might be that you have 'a roadblock' that he has to deal with, but you then having to rely an awful lot on your Gutter Runners... which you have to anyway. So, it's nice to have a big bloke on your side, but for what you are going to do against Jelmer, ultimately a somewhat not fully effective investment.

Concluding: Either start with big guys on your roster, or not at all.

"Goblin aficionado and collector of Wooden Spoons"
Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Thanks both of you for your answers. :-) I'll probably won't get a Rat Ogre then; I'm not very much in favour of them anyway.

The difference between our teams is 60k, so I could buy 2 linemen (I have 220k in the bank) so I have 13 active players and give my opponent 40k inducements, which he won't be able to use, and even if he should fire a Hobgoblin, he still can't ge Zzarhg Madeye.

JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

Good choice. Good luck..! :) Let us know how it went.

Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Well, the match has been played.

The good news is that I won! :D

3-1; He received, I stole the ball for 1-0, he made 1-1 because I failed to dodge into the cage (4+ with reroll, his CD's where not near), then I one-turned for 2-1 and in the 2nd half I kept the ball safe while drawing him out of position and then used my speed to outmanoeuvre him and score the 3-1. So that's nice.

The bad news is that my Claw Blitzer died! :(

Blitz by the Mino: killed; apo: killed. Which sucks, but such is the way of Nuffle. He giveth, and he taketh away. So now I have to skill up a new Blitzer.

Anyway, my Block GR and one of the Wrestle GR's skilled up. I gave the Blocker Side Step, and the Wrestler Strip Ball. The next match is Underworld, so that shouldn't be very difficult. The team has some missed matches though, so I don't know how the team will look like when I actually face it.