Warhammerfest Roundup of the Bloodbowl release 2016 or 2017?

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Re: Warhammerfest Roundup of the Bloodbowl release 2016 or 2

Post by frogboy »

Its good that GW kept the basic rule set the same then (if the rumours are correct or have been confirmed) otherwise they could have killed off the tournament scene in an instance or at least limited the player pool drastically.

That board looks perfect for my kitchen table though ;)

Reason: ''
I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
drathul
Experienced
Experienced

Post by drathul »

Darkson wrote:ARBBL Open/Pick'n'Mix will ask coaches to bring 3rd ed (or 3rd party of the same size) pitches, as the new boards would mean I'd need to halve the maximum number of coaches.

Would there not be a problem with the new miniatures fitting on the old board as the bases will be to big?

Life, one continuous interruption to my sleep

Ian White
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Warhammerfest Roundup of the Bloodbowl release 2016 or 2017?

Post by Shteve0 »

spubbbba wrote:Some nice pics of the boxed set over on BoLs.

Not much we don't already know but gives a better look at the scale of the board and minis when used in play.
We've actually had most of those off twitter for the best part of a week. http://theendzone.co/blog/new-images-of ... otted.html

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

drathul wrote:Would there not be a problem with the new miniatures fitting on the old board as the bases will be to big?
Probably, but most tournament goers will have older figures anyway. I'll add that to future rule packs though.
For newer players there will be someone that will lend a team - I've always found the BB community to be really good at that.

When (if!) it gets to point where most players want to use the newer board I will have to take the unfortunate step of stop running my tournaments, as we just don't have the number of tables nor the space, and if I ran it at 50% numbers I do now I'd either have to up the price (heavily) or take a loss.
frogboy wrote:That board looks perfect for my kitchen table though ;)
Yep, though mines for the coffee table. ;)

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
JT-Y
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Post by JT-Y »

Regarding the new pitches and tournaments, I guess we'll see over the next couple of years how it all pans out.
It's very easy to think about 'us', being us who play now and attend tournaments, but there are going to be so many new players coming in and new tournaments springing up and consequently loads of people wanting to use their new pitches because they're the new normal that things will have evolve and adapt.
There were plenty of players with shiny new, freshly converted teams on 32mm bases at the Bugmans Weekend in May, and playing on 3rd ed box set pitches. They managed, so I'm sure we will in future.
Personally I'll get in the habit of putting two pitches in the car boot.

It's fantastic that this is the worst thing we have to worry about, but it's a ballache of a thing to have to worry about.

"It´s better to enlarge the game than to restrict the players." -- Erick Wujcik
Regash

Post by Regash »

JT-Y wrote:there are going to be so many new players coming in
I somehow really doubt that.
With the game being around for 30+ years now and even two incarnations of decent adaptations of the game on console and PC, I highly doubt that the impact on the player base will be severe.

Would be nice, though, don't get me wrong.
I just don't believe it'll happen.

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

JT-Y wrote:Regarding the new pitches and tournaments, I guess we'll see over the next couple of years how it all pans out.
It's very easy to think about 'us', being us who play now and attend tournaments, but there are going to be so many new players coming in and new tournaments springing up and consequently loads of people wanting to use their new pitches because they're the new normal that things will have evolve and adapt.
There were plenty of players with shiny new, freshly converted teams on 32mm bases at the Bugmans Weekend in May, and playing on 3rd ed box set pitches. They managed, so I'm sure we will in future.
Personally I'll get in the habit of putting two pitches in the car boot.

It's fantastic that this is the worst thing we have to worry about, but it's a ballache of a thing to have to worry about.
Yeah we have to give way to the new players, if someone has bought into the game, a new player, never played before and turns up wanting to use his new stuff then there told "sorry mate you need the old board and figures" I can't imagine them wanting to play for long.

But yeah 32mm should be fine on the old board anyway. Hopefully common sense prevails :-?

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Regash wrote:
JT-Y wrote:there are going to be so many new players coming in
I somehow really doubt that.
With the game being around for 30+ years now and even two incarnations of decent adaptations of the game on console and PC, I highly doubt that the impact on the player base will be severe.

Would be nice, though, don't get me wrong.
I just don't believe it'll happen.
Much of it probably depends on how the community deals with the new interest.

GW haven't really promoted BB in years, so if they start showcasing it in their stores and on their site then it could attract a lot of young new players. When I used to go to my local GW veterans night the vast majority of people there were 16-21 plus there is the newbies gaming nights too. So a huge demographic of GW gamers are under 21. Something we don't see that much of at tournaments.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

frogboy wrote:Yeah we have to give way to the new players, if someone has bought into the game, a new player, never played before and turns up wanting to use his new stuff then there told "sorry mate you need the old board and figures" I can't imagine them wanting to play for long.

But yeah 32mm should be fine on the old board anyway. Hopefully common sense prevails :-?
I doubt they'd be to happy either when their figures are knocked onto the floor for the 3rd time in 3 games when their pitch, which overspills the table by 7-8cm, is knocked again. :wink:

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Would this be unreasonable to be add to future rule packs? (Serious question, not being facetious.)
Disclaimer:
Due to the size and number of tables in the venue we advise you to use a 3rd edition (or similar-sized 3rd party) pitch, and 28mm scale figures.
If you decide to use the new larger-sized GW pitch we cannot guarantee you will be able to get a table to yourself, and therefore may be forced to play "across" a table that will cause a significant overhang, with the associated risk of models being knocked off.
We cannot be held responsible got any damage that occurs.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Maybe if you changed "got" to "for".

Facetious, but serious.

I would say instead something like:

"If you decide to use the new larger-sized GW pitch there will be a significant overhang, with the associated risk of models being knocked off. We cannot be held responsible for any damage that occurs."

So leave out the middle bit.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Regash

Post by Regash »

This just makes me wonder...
Has anyone ever tried to hold someone else responsible for any kind of damage while playing a tournament?
For me is "bring your stuff at your own risk" a no-brainer.

I've let someone else play my chaos dwarves on a tournament and wouldn't have complained if the got chipped.
(But then, my level of painting... Chipping would probably have made them better! :lol:)

JT-Y
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Post by JT-Y »

Darkson wrote:Would this be unreasonable to be add to future rule packs? (Serious question, not being facetious.)
And I'd avoid the bit about figure scale. It's 32mm bases which are the problem, not the models, which aren't even really all that big.

How much overhang do you have with current pitches on your tables?
spubbbba wrote:Much of it probably depends on how the community deals with the new interest.

GW haven't really promoted BB in years, so if they start showcasing it in their stores and on their site then it could attract a lot of young new players. When I used to go to my local GW veterans night the vast majority of people there were 16-21 plus there is the newbies gaming nights too. So a huge demographic of GW gamers are under 21. Something we don't see that much of at tournaments.
Totally the case.
We're a dieing breed, average age of a BB player is late 30's. The new edition will bring in younger players to whom the game just has not been readily available for several years, and active support will bring back a huge number of lapsed players who, for whatever reason, only play games currently in print and supported by the company.
How many of them become die hards like us on here no one can say, but that's not the point. There will be a lot of them and they'll be bringing their new pitches to our tournaments.
Regash wrote:This just makes me wonder...
Has anyone ever tried to hold someone else responsible for any kind of damage while playing a tournament?
Organiser, no. But I have most certainly held responsible an opponent who caused damage to my models through his actions and would not hesitate to do the same again in a similar situation as that one.
I expect some degree of common courtesy from my opponents, and this extends to them taking the care required to not ruin my stuff.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

JT-Y wrote:How much overhang do you have with current pitches on your tables?
Couple of mm at most (two sizes of table, other is about spot on) so based off the size you(? might have been someone else) posted we're looking at something like 7-8cm overhang, or 3-4cm per side - more than I'd like to risk (especially with my habit of leaning on the end of the table while trying to work out a turn that doesn't rely on rolling 8 6s! :lol: ).

JT-Y

Post by JT-Y »

About 8cm on the FF Fields pitch I've got, but that has deeper than normal endzone squares, so about 7cm on a GW pitch.
More than I would like, but it's at the users risk.

We'll see a lot more plastic teams in future as well though, so maybe that's something positive, plastic bounces where soft Spanish lead goes splat? I dunno.