What points do you use in your league rankings?

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

TedStriker
Experienced
Experienced

What points do you use in your league rankings?

Post by TedStriker »

We are starting up a league at my FLGS.

I got our OBBLM website set up. They have several options for doing rankings.

I was just wondering what point system do you guys use?

In the past, we've played "soccer" points... 3 for win 1 for tie and 0 for a loss

Does anyone use 3W 2T 1L?

I'd love to hear some opinions on the best point systems for leagues. What has worked well? What hasn't?

Reason: ''
CyberedElf
Veteran
Veteran

Re: What points do you use in your league rankings?

Post by CyberedElf »

We have two divisions with different point systems.
Our traditional division uses 5/3/1. We are open play and do not all play the same number of games. (There is a limit of 10 games/team/season.) This rewards games played more than winning and encourages attendance over "must win" attitude. Everyone makes playoffs. We formerly seeded by total points, but people were gaming the system. We now just use the points to determine first round byes to get an even 4/8/16/etc. with all other position in the bracket being random.

The Champion's Division uses 3/1/0. It is played round robin and only the top four go to the playoffs. It is more cutthroat.

3/2/1 and 5/3/1 are the same as win ratio if all teams play the same number of games.

The best answer depends partly on the league format. An important questions: "Is a win and a loss better than two draws?" The answer can affect game play. Do you want to encourage people to play for the win at a risk of losing?

I like our traditional division for keeping things less serious (until in playoffs). Just having the Champion's Division even helps to emphasize the distinction.

Gaixo
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Gaixo »

We use winning percentage. As we're a scheduled league, this is easily handled by 2 points for a win, 1 for a draw, 0 for a loss.

We keep our standings outside of OBBLM anyway, as it won't keep separate divisional standings.

Genghis
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Genghis »

We used to use 3/2/1 but changed it to 3/1/0 when I fell into the commish's chair. I want coaches playing to win. :D

Will drink beer for food.

The Tragically Hit - Amorical Cup '17 Team Champions
Best Defense - Underworld Cup '16

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

When my league was running (and it ran for 10+ years) we always used 3/1/0.

The league I now play in uses 3/1/0.

I'm not adverse to 2/1/0 but I really dont get awarding 2 draws more points than a win and loss.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
El Hombre
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by El Hombre »

In the League of Rodents (Belgium) we're using:

4pts for a win by 2TDs
3pts for a win by 1TD
2pts for a draw
1pt for a loss by 1TD
0pts for a loss by 2TDs

encourages the coaches to keep playing, even while 2-0 down. Also nearly everybody (depending on the exact number of coaches) enters the play-offs at the end of the season; encouraging even coaches at the bottom of the table to keep developing their teams (in 9 seasons, the winner of the season has never won the play-offs!). We have a fixed schedule.

Those who will not follow are doomed to lead.
--*--Founder League of Rodents--*--
--*--Commissioner BBBF Online League--*--
babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

2/1/0 since last season.
this way, the champion is award less early in the season

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

6/3/1 - not really sure why, but I asked for it to be added to OBBLM, so there must have been a reason!

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
WeeManBiggins
Experienced
Experienced

Post by WeeManBiggins »

3/1/0
Worked well for us for 11 years now. The first season however we did use a different system where you can play anyone as many times as you like in the season. 15/5/0 for points and at the end of the season points are divided by games played. Works well if you want a very open season with teams joining throughout but of course you need some rules to stop teams playing the same opponent week in week out.

HDWSBBL Commissioner
jonathanc
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jonathanc »

We used 3/1/0 for our first league but adopted a much more detailed system after that which we have been using for 9 years now:

Win = 30pts
Draw = 14pts
Loss = 6pts
+1pt per TD scored
+1pt per Casualty inflicted (only Casualties that would earn SPP's count for this)
-1 for each TD conceded
No team can score more than 36pts or less than 0pts per game.

The format of our league is that everyone plays each other once, and the top 4 then go into play-offs to decide the eventual Champion.

I expect it will seem very odd to many of you judging by the replies above but its worked well for us and competition for the last couple of play-off spots always seems to go down to the last round of matches. :)

cdwat
Experienced
Experienced

Post by cdwat »

The league I play in (SWL on FUMBBL) runs 5/2/0. Effectively a halfway between the 2/1/0 and 3/1/0 options.
It's for a scheduled, 7 round season. It works quite well.
Means that wins are rewarded, but not so much that a draw isn't.
(A win & a loss is better than 2 draws, but 3 draws is better than a win and 2 losses.)

Recently I ran a short 4 team round-robin elf tourney that awarded points soley for TD's, not the result.
+3 per TD, -1 per TD conceded.
Worked well to encourage scoring, but not at the expense of defending.

voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

I use the 6/3/1 option

just as I like to see large points in the column. it works well, 10 games season people start talking about 33 points to make the playoffs quite early on

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
DaImp
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DaImp »

In the league that I run (now starting it's 12th season) we use the following system for scoring:

Points are earned for each game played as follows:
Bonus points: 3 TDs = +1 / 3 Cas = +1

I find that its worth rewarding players for just playing (its an open league) but there is also the bonus points to encourage aggressive play and the scoring of TDs.

Jonathan Merry
Da Leeg Commissioner, Shaka Shield and SA Open Organiser
Axtklinge
Legend
Legend

Post by Axtklinge »

In the NABBO League we play in open format, and use 3/1/0 for as long as I can remember.

Personally I feel it gives the win enough edge (over ties), while keeping the scoreboard close enough to keep everyone on their toes.
Of course because of that, sometimes by the time we have to pick the teams for playoffs we have ties, so we have several tie breakers (4 to be exact) and make sure they are explicit and that everyone knows about them to avoid future arguments.