Halflings - 1.15m Resurrection Tournament

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Olaf the Stout
Star Player
Star Player

Halflings - 1.15m Resurrection Tournament

Post by Olaf the Stout »

I'm taking Halflings to a 1.15m resurrection tournament early next year and I'm tossing up between a couple of team rosters.

The team starts with 3 normal skills and then other skills are added to the team as the tournament goes on. These are my 2 options so far:

Option 1 - 14 Players with Deeproot
11 x Halflings (3 x Side Step)
2 x Treemen
Deeproot Strongbranch
Halfling Master Chef
2 x RR
1 x FF
Apoth

Option 2 - 12 Players with Deeproot and Puggy
8 x Halflings (3 x Side Step)
2 x Treemen
Deeproot Strongbranch
Puggy Baconbreath
Halfling Master Chef
1 x RR
2 x FF
Apoth

At the moment I'm leaning towards Option 1. Option 2 just doesn't give you enough players. Halfling teams will take Cas and starting with only 12 players just seems like a good way to play with 8 or less players every second half.

Yes, Puggy is awesome, but I'll get better value out of 3 Halflings and a second re-roll compared to Puggy.

Deeproot, the Halfling Master Chef and Apoth all seem like no brainer choices. So that doesn't leave many different variations to play with unless I want to go really out there with team selection.

Thoughts?

Reason: ''
Olaf the Stout
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Halflings - 1.15m Resurrection Tournament

Post by Olaf the Stout »

Actually I just thought of one other possible team build option:

Option 3 - 13 Players
10 x Halflings
2 x Treemen
Deeproot Strongbranch
Halfling Master Chef
2 x RR
2 x Assistant Coaches
2 x Cheerleaders
Apoth

Basically you'd sacrifice a Halfling for Assistant Coaches and Cheerleaders to deny your opponent any chance of getting re-rolls from the Kick-Off Table.

babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

Zara might be a nice alternative as well (depending of your playstyle)
1.15 is maybe short, but a wizard could be nice.

something like this:
Zara+2Tree+11halfling+1RR+Chef+Wizard
The team starts with 3 normal skills and then other skills are added to the team as the tournament goes on.
could you stack skill?
how other skills will be added?
depending of the questions above, it might be good to skill first the trees...

Shushnik
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Shushnik »

The apoth maybe comes up in one game on a lucky armor break on a tree. The rest of the time it's a waste.

I'd go with option 2, but cut the apoth for two halflings (if you trust your chef to produce) or a reroll (if you don't want to gamble).

I would also probably go break tackle on both trees instead of 3 sidesteppers. If your goal is maximum damage, piling on for trees is awful but fun. And possibly strategically important if you root in a bad spot. :)

nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

Always take Puggy if you can. He is the most irritating player to try to coach against!

Olaf the Stout
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Olaf the Stout »

babass wrote:Zara might be a nice alternative as well (depending of your playstyle)

something like this:
The team starts with 3 normal skills and then other skills are added to the team as the tournament goes on.
could you stack skill?
The 3 normal skills at the start can't be stacked.

You get about another 5 skills over the next 8 games (I am confirming how many exactly), including 1 or 2 doubles. I can't remember after what rounds they are added, but basically you add 1-2 skills after every 2-3 rounds.

So my thinking was to spread the skills out amongst the Halflings and give the trees Block when I get the doubles skills.

Olaf the Stout
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Olaf the Stout »

Shushnik wrote:The apoth maybe comes up in one game on a lucky armor break on a tree. The rest of the time it's a waste.

I'd go with option 2, but cut the apoth for two halflings (if you trust your chef to produce) or a reroll (if you don't want to gamble).

I would also probably go break tackle on both trees instead of 3 sidesteppers. If your goal is maximum damage, piling on for trees is awful but fun. And possibly strategically important if you root in a bad spot. :)
Cutting the apoth for extra players may be a good choice, given that it is a Ressurection tournament. ST6 and AV10 make it hard to get 2d blocks against the Trees and then break armour if they do go down. Plus using an apoth on them isn't that helpful if my opponent just grinds on me for 8 turns and I don't get a chance to bring the Tree out of the reserves box. So, barring any Claw players or lucky dice rolls, they should generally stay on the pitch.

Piling On would be fun but, from a competitive perspective, it just seems like a good way to get my Trees either fouled, or stuck on the ground by failing 4+ rolls to stand up.

I've seen people recommend Break Tackle on the Trees. I get that 3+ dodges into cages to 2d Block the ball carrier is awesome, but surely that MV2 is very limiting as you're probably rolling 2 GFI's to get a hit and get into the cage.

Olaf the Stout
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Olaf the Stout »

babass wrote:Zara might be a nice alternative as well (depending of your playstyle)

something like this:
could you stack skill?
Zara is nice, especially as it give me a ST4 ball carrier. However, it does mean I'm not able to take Deeproot, so a halfling will need to go on the LOS. So you'd likely be playing with 10 players most drives when you kick off.

Olaf the Stout
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Olaf the Stout »

Ok, so based on Shushnik's suggestion, this is Option 4, which I'm probably leaning towards now:

Option 4 - 14 Players with Deeproot and Puggy and 1 RR
10 x Halflings (3 x Side Step)
2 x Treemen
Deeproot Strongbranch
Puggy Baconbreath
Halfling Master Chef
1 x RR
1 x FF

I like 14 players more than I do 12 players and 2 RR.

The tournament has a special rule that lets you re-roll any one dice roll once a game (including an armour or injury roll if you want). So it's like having 1 1/2 re-rolls (as you only get that special re-roll once per game, not per half.

The really nice thing about the special re-roll is that, if I used it with Deeproot, I don't need to make a 4+ Loner roll to see if I can use the re-roll. I can just re-roll the dice. So the special re-roll (but only the special re-roll) ignores Loner, which makes it great for using with Star Players and Big Guys.

Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Pedda »

Hands down, option 4.

Sorted

babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

Olaf the Stout wrote:Ok, so based on Shushnik's suggestion, this is Option 4, which I'm probably leaning towards now:

Option 4 - 14 Players with Deeproot and Puggy and 1 RR
10 x Halflings (3 x Side Step)
2 x Treemen
Deeproot Strongbranch
Puggy Baconbreath
Halfling Master Chef
1 x RR
1 x FF

I like 14 players more than I do 12 players and 2 RR.

The tournament has a special rule that lets you re-roll any one dice roll once a game (including an armour or injury roll if you want). So it's like having 1 1/2 re-rolls (as you only get that special re-roll once per game, not per half.

The really nice thing about the special re-roll is that, if I used it with Deeproot, I don't need to make a 4+ Loner roll to see if I can use the re-roll. I can just re-roll the dice. So the special re-roll (but only the special re-roll) ignores Loner, which makes it great for using with Star Players and Big Guys.
Is the wizzard allowed?
if yes, i think it would be a better choice as Puggy

Olaf the Stout
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Olaf the Stout »

Yes, Wizards are allowed.

However, a Blodging ST3 player that can dodge into a cage on a 3+ is very useful though. He's also a better ball handler than a ST2 player with no block.

Big A
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Big A »

Very late to the party. For future reference if you aren't taking break tackle on the Treemen you are doing it wrong!

Milo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Milo »

I'm going to a tournament tomorrow with a similar ruleset (based on EuroBowl 2016 rules.) As halflings, I can use up to 1150k, can have 0-2 stars, and am allowed 1 double skill and 6 normal skills. Plus, I can spend 50k of the money to purchase another doubles (30k) and/or single skill (20k).

I'm leaning towards using both Doubles skills to give my Trees block, but if I do that, I cannot give them Break Tackle. Which makes more sense?

If I get BT for the trees, should I give two Halflings Blodge to go with Puggy? Sidestep for all of the other normal skills? In other words, should I do:

1) Block for both Trees (doubles), six Sidestep halflings, spend 20k; or
2) Break Tackle for both Trees (normals), 2 Blodge Halflings (doubles), 4 Sidestep Halflings, spend 20k; or
3) something else?

Milo

Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Pedda »

My roster would be

2 Trees (2xBlock)
10 'Flings (4x Side Step, 2x Diving Tackle, Sure Feet)
Puggy
Deeproot
Master Chef
Assistant Coach
Cheerleader