"Blitzmania", new GW...thing

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Moraiwe
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: Blitzmania - One Big League

Post by Moraiwe »

I'm surprised they don't make everybody buy an in-app purchase to participate.

Reason: ''
Deathrain
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Deathrain »

Regash wrote:I don't think so, Mike.
The NAF is keeping records for the tournament scene while Blitzmania seems to be a perpetual league.
It kind of sounded to me that each player can only have one team in Blitzmania.

What worries me more is that you have to get registered with GW to participate.
Register in what capacity? Just making an account is pretty much needed for this thing to work.

It is now rather sure to be a perpetual league in the style of Cyanides open ladder or the FUMBBLs format. Smart move of GW to capitalize on the popularity of these formats.

DinoTitanedition
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: "Blitzmania", new GW...thing

Post by DinoTitanedition »

In general I like the idea. Even thou, I would rather have people play it in a Games Workshop. Yes, I have not been in a store for ages, since I buy most stuff somewhere online, but if I think about worldwide campaigns GW did so far, it kind of springs to my mind, that there were people registering games, that weren`t actually played.

Not to give the wrong impression here, I consider this kind of event to be fun in general, as I do remember my more active time as a player during the Storm of Chaos, or the Nemesis Crown campaign, but I sadly also remember the rather shady side of player behaivement.

Playing in a registered Games Workshop store might not be to everyones liking, but it is the simplest and most forward way to assure clean results. Play your game, let it register right away.

JT-Y
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Post by JT-Y »

Moraiwe wrote:I'm surprised they don't make everybody buy an in-app purchase to participate.
Good thinking. I'll pass it on. Do you want to be credited with the idea?

"It´s better to enlarge the game than to restrict the players." -- Erick Wujcik
straume
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by straume »

Just found out my local store will participate in this, so colour me intrigued.

The store manager said the plan was to make this turn into some sort of GW World Cup, but he had no details or spesifics.

Moraiwe
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Moraiwe »

JT-Y wrote:
Moraiwe wrote:I'm surprised they don't make everybody buy an in-app purchase to participate.
Good thinking. I'll pass it on. Do you want to be credited with the idea?
GW give credit to others? Not going to happen.

Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

My understanding is that Blitzmania is for Independent Stockist ONLY, there will be no support in GW stores. It will run as a league collation service which can be checked online but results can only be submitted at the participating stores. The timing has been advertised as limited from end Jan to March, similar to other GW campaigns for other systems.

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.
JT-Y
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Post by JT-Y »

Yeah it's definitely something to support independent retailers rather than GW retail itself. Which is good in think.

"It´s better to enlarge the game than to restrict the players." -- Erick Wujcik
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

That is good news about support for independent, GW have been making some great improvements of late.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
clotoro
Rookie
Rookie

Post by clotoro »

spubbbba wrote:That is good news about support for independent, GW have been making some great improvements of late.
Yeah have to agree with this. Excited to hear more details.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I wonder how that works for players without a local independent (*waves*)?

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Fassbinder75
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Fassbinder75 »

Retailers can buy a Blitzmania kit, it is material to run your own in-store league. I'm not sure how the tie-in to worldwide results works though. It includes rosters, match report sheets, a couple of banners, some special play cards some tokens and some certificates. The certificates look like end of season awards for leaders (Most CAS etc) but don't quote me on it.

The marketing blurb also has a few retailer bundles for sprues of various WHFB and 40K miniatures (Dark Eldar = Dark Elves, Harlequins = Pro Elves, Chaos Marauders = Norse) so that players can kit bash their own rosters as an interim solution until GW/FW get around to releasing the official sides.

IMO the concept is great, but as so often with GW the execution is underwhelming. The kit is pretty expensive for really just a lot of paper, especially as you'd need a dedicated TO/Commissioner to get value from it.

Why not put 8/16/32 Grak and Crumbleberry in it and let people sign up for a league where thy can use them? That is not even a leap of my imagination (a mere stumble) but exclusive swag draws players.

I really want to not bash GW because the intent is good, its just that the execution leaves something to be desired. They are such a polished operation in terms of mini design, production, marketing and supply-chain that is let down by a slipshod creative team. Surely some of their infamous legal department could have proof-read Death Zone? The skills are in house, people!

minimakeovers.wordpress.com
Manuel
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Manuel »

Mh... with some GW stores forbidding BB being played in their facilities, and they giving away those big pitch-tables, one would think they want to leave the job of keeping the interest for BB alive only in the shoulders of the Independently Stores. Meanwhile, they keep using their stores just for AoS and 40K.

More than a favour to the Independent stores, this looks more like a burden they do not want to take care of personally.

Regash

Post by Regash »

Has it ever been different, guys?
The two main games are supported by GW, all the others get released, sold and forgotten.
Did you think this would be different this time?

Milo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Milo »

Regash wrote:Has it ever been different, guys?
The two main games are supported by GW, all the others get released, sold and forgotten.
Did you think this would be different this time?
But keep in mind that this is being run from Forgeworld, not GW proper. GW is all about 40k/AOS, and so it's reasonable, I think, for their stores to focus on that.

Milo