Has anyone experience with magnetic tape?

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

nyahoi
Experienced
Experienced

Has anyone experience with magnetic tape?

Post by nyahoi »

A strange question, but I cant think where else to ask this :D

I had a thought of using printable magnetic paper to make my own magnetic skill labels. Then was thinking of wrapping self adhesive magnetic tape to the inside of base rims to hold them in place on the model. Was wondering if the strength of the tape would be enough to pull through the thickness of the base rim though. Has anyone experience with such a thing? I know I could just place the tape on the outside of the base instead, but I think it would look a lot better if it was hidden from view.

Reason: ''
mikeyc222
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Has anyone experience with magnetic tape?

Post by mikeyc222 »

i tried that a while back. the magnetic field of the tape that i used wasn't strong enough to adhere through the base. the tape i used was similar in thickness and texture with a refrigerator magnet.

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.

nyahoi
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nyahoi »

mikeyc222 wrote:i tried that a while back. the magnetic field of the tape that i used wasn't strong enough to adhere through the base. the tape i used was similar in thickness and texture with a refrigerator magnet.
That seems thick enough alright. Maybe carving out grooves for the tape as deep as possible to the inside rim might work. Guess I'll have to buy some and try :D.
Another option might be gluing magnets into holes on the sides. Slightly sunk in so I can smooth over the difference with Milliput to hide them. I'd have the same worry of the magnetic field being blocked through the clay, but it'd have a much stronger pull so more than likely would be better.

Itchen Masack
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Itchen Masack »

Perhaps a couple of small magnets glued on the inside of the base? I can confirm that the following are strong enough to effect things through a base. Cheap too.

http://www.banggood.com/3mm-x-1mm-N35-R ... mds=search

they are also quite addictive to play with too!

Wifflebat
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wifflebat »

I never knew that something like this existed:

Magnetic receptive paint

Anyone ever try anything like it?

I was Puzzlemonkey, but now I'm Wifflebat. Please forward my mail...
nyahoi
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nyahoi »

Itchen Masack wrote:Perhaps a couple of small magnets glued on the inside of the base? I can confirm that the following are strong enough to effect things through a base. Cheap too.

http://www.banggood.com/3mm-x-1mm-N35-R ... mds=search

they are also quite addictive to play with too!

That's good news! Thanks very much.
Have magnets and magnetic paper ordered. I'll update on whether or not it works :)

JT-Y
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Post by JT-Y »

Don't bother with magnetic tape, it's the wrong stuff.

Use steel paper and glue rare earth magnets inside the bases, you get a much stronger attraction between ferrous steel paper and magnets than between mag tape and magnets, the polarities line up better.
Plus steel paper is more suited to printing onto, though if you're using an inkjet you'll want to print on photo settings because steel paper is quite a high satin finish.

This stuff is adhesive backed:
http://www.magneticdisplays.co.uk/magne ... teel-paper

You can find non adhesive easily enough:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/32083967 ... 731&crdt=0

"It´s better to enlarge the game than to restrict the players." -- Erick Wujcik