Orc advice for a new player.

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Huorn
Rookie
Rookie

Orc advice for a new player.

Post by Huorn »

Hi there, I'm starting to play in a league with some friends and I was wondering if someone could tell me any potential problems i may have with this starting orc team:

Thrower
2 Blitzers
2 Black orc blockers
4 Lineorcs
Troll
2 Goblins

3 RRS
2 FF
20,000 gold left.

Would you suggest using up all my gold? And would i be better off not swapping the goblins for lineorcs? I don't have any models other than what comes in the starter set, a troll and several goblins that is what i am limited to. I'm playing for fun and to have a laugh but i don't want to make it too easy for my opponents. Thanks in advance for the help.

Reason: ''
CyberedElf
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Orc advice for a new player.

Post by CyberedElf »

You mentioned not having more orcs than the box set, but having 4 blitzers and 4 black orcs is huge. Don't worry about the FF. FF has so little impact and you get it for free later. You are better off spending that 20k somewhere else.
If you can't get (or proxy) more positionals I would recommend having another goblin instead of 20k and 2 FF. With two goblins on the field you will need some reserves. Or, replace the 20k, 2 FF, and 2 goblins with a lineorc and a thrower. Orc throwers are not great, but it does give you options.

Saebelsultan
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Saebelsultan »

I absolutly agree with Cyberedelf. Get two more Blitzer and BOBs. Also, being new to the game, I recommend a thrower (highly controversial piece) who let's you reroll failed pick ups without losing a much needed team RR.

Have a look here for further inspiration

https://fumbbl.com/help:LRB6OrcSetUp

"This game is too good not to be played!" - Coach Pauli
Blood Bowl Beginner Kit
Saebelsultan's BB Dugouts
CyberedElf
Veteran
Veteran

Post by CyberedElf »

I had another idea today.
Proxy the blitzers as black orcs and line orcs as blitzers. Then never take linemen, just take goblins. Gets you to a much better team with the same figures. It depends on how much your opponents are sticklers about proxies.

Deathrain
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Deathrain »

CyberedElf wrote:I had another idea today.
Proxy the blitzers as black orcs and line orcs as blitzers. Then never take linemen, just take goblins. Gets you to a much better team with the same figures. It depends on how much your opponents are sticklers about proxies.
Here is what I do for Orc-proxies until the seperate box for 25€ comes out: I use the positionals as intended and assigned the 3 Linemen molds to be actual Linemen (the unremarkable ones), Blitzers (the poster-boys in the kind of t-pose), and Black Orcs (those with the thick arm pads and left hand held high above their head). Of course that isn't too intuitive, so I made little pieces of paper from some post-its to stick on the front and back of the bases (especially the backs to override the stickers that designate the positions usually).

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Pick one of the line-orc models and designate it a "blitzer" look. That gives you 4 Blitzers, 2 Black Orcs, 4 Linemen, and 1 Thrower, leaving you with enough money to start with 3 re-rolls and an Apothecary, plus 20k left over to save for more players. Then find yourself 2 Black Orcs, and if you like, 2 proper Blitzers.

A finished Orc team, in my book, should look like this:

4 Blitzers (1 will get something special, the other 3 get Guard/MB/Tackle, in any order)
4 Black Orcs (Block/Guard/MB, ignore anything special except +ST)
1 Thrower (shoot for special, but if you get all normals, take Block, Kickoff Return, Accurate in any order, and cycle each season)
4 Line-Orcs (1 will get something special, the other 3 are foulers and fodder)
3 Re-Rolls
Apothecary
Whatever FF you earn
Treasury just low enough to avoid Expensive Mistakes

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Jorgen_CAB
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Jorgen_CAB »

Line Orcs are great players in any Orc team and the myth you need all positionals are just not true.

You can build on a team using anything from 2-4 of any of the positionals and do just fine.

Sure... you don't want Block and +1MV on a lineman, you might as well buy a Blitzer. Linemen should simply be treated as expendable players and you will do just fine.

I think that you need at most 5-7 important positionals on any team and the rest should be low value expendable players. This give you more options to engage the opposing team without taking too much risk overall from a league perspective. It will also give you a much easier decision when time comes to renew your team from season to season. It will also give you some room for buying a rookie positional from time to time to train them up when you know that other positional players start becoming too expensive to keep around anymore.

The make up of teams in general also depends on how long your seasons are which often translate into how big in TV teams can grow. We tend to have relatively short seasons so TV don't really ever reach that high. This means that managing to keep your team well supplied with many skills on low TV players can get you pretty far. When top players rarely ever get more than four to five extra skills then keeping lineman's around that have a few skills can really give you a competitive team.

A team I have played in the past had (after some development)...

2 Throwers
5 Linemen
3 Blitzers
3 Black Orcs
1 Troll

Linemen: These should get some really basic skills such as Block, Wressle, DP, Dauntless (perhaps Guard on doubles, only as first skill is what I do) and you usually don't want more than two skills on them(or max 90.000 total value) and you cut them from your roster after each season if they are worth more than 90.000gp. Never keep them if they want to quit unless you have too much money. I usually ignore any stat increases on linemen, even Strength. Linemen are there to be used up not being an expensive player.

Blitzer: I would like to have one that is good at scoring so any double should be dodge and later catch if you manage a second double or MA, AG for stat increases. The others are just regular Blitzers with Guard, MB, Tackle. Any stat increase is worth it but I usually only like one stat increase on each Blitzer. I value skill more in general unless it is a late addition to their careers.

Thrower: One main thrower and an extra thrower if the main one gets injured. You simply want someone reliable to pick up the ball. I give the primary thrower Leader, Kick-Off return and then either Block or Accurate depending on the rest of my team. The replacement thrower should be similar but with no Leader skill, at least not until the primary dies or are not rehired after a season.

Black Orc: These are key players and I like skills such as Guard and Stand Firm on them... pretty much the only skills they need. But if they get a third skill that is Block followed with MB. But I'm happy with just the two first skills.

Troll: I usually treat Trolls as more or less expendable players and I don't want more than two maybe three skills on them. So, Guard and Stand Firm, the same as Black Orcs, are the skills I look for. You can't go wrong with Grab or Break Tackle either. You obviously want Block on doubles since it reduce the rate of "turn over" problems for Looner players.

Once you have your team really advanced you might need to replace linemen for rookie positionals such as Blitzer and Black Orcs... but that would be many seasons down the road. These Rookies only join the team to replace a star player that starts to get too expensive or fill the gap when one gets cut from injuries or simply die.

You want 3-4RR plus Leader. AG 3 and poor access to Block skill will see you fail quite often so you really need them. If you go Block heavy then you need one less RR.

And... remember... whenever your opponent's star players end up with their head in the mud... stomp them in the face and remove them from the game... the Orc way. ;)

dirt mcgirt
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dirt mcgirt »

I like this setup. Having 4 ST4 players is and 4 players w/ block to start always helps a starter team. Orcs take/dish out hits, and block dice luck comes and goes.

4 Blitzers
4 Black Orcs
1 Thrower
4 Line-Orcs
3 Re-Rolls
Apothecary

Genghis
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Genghis »

With Orcs, I try to get to and maintain the following roster:

4 Black Orcs
4 Blitzers
2 Lineorcs
1 Thrower
1 Troll
1 Goblin
3 Rerolls
1 Apothecary

Will drink beer for food.

The Tragically Hit - Amorical Cup '17 Team Champions
Best Defense - Underworld Cup '16

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Well, in my 32-team unlimited TV, unlimited TV reset, no Expensive Mistakes, shark-infested league (NBFL, on FUMBBL), I've finally hit the Super Bowl with my Orcs. I did it by shedding the Troll, Goblins, and Throwers, and just running AV9 players without negatraits.

My roster is:

BOB: B/G/MB/SF/T
BOB: B/G/MB/SF/D, n
BOB: B/G/MB/+ST
BOB: B

Blitz: MB/T/PO/Pro/Jug/JU
Blitz: MB/G/T/SF/Frenzy
Blitz: +AG/D/T/SH/G
Blitz: MB/T/PO/G/+MA

Line: B/T/Frenzy
Line: DP/B/Fend
Line: DP/B
Line: DP
Line: Rookie

4 Rerolls
FF 11 or 12
Apoth

TV about 2280k, which is middle of the pack for the league. Most teams run more players. Next season, when I will see a lot of Claws, maybe I'll pack an extra lino and thrower, so I don't run out of bodies.

Superbowl is hanging on the NFC Championship, the two teams are having a hard time scheduling. I get the winner of a huge Lizardman team vs a Chaos Dwarf team with some really great Hobgoblins. I'm rooting for lots of MNGs in that game. Wish me luck in the big one!

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.