Special Play Cards Cost

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

stashman
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: Special Play Cards Cost

Post by stashman »

Lychanthrope wrote:Our league is using the cards this season. Each player pulls two cards at random. Let me just say I do not really like the cards, but many of the guys I play with are big 3rd addition fans (before my time with BB). My impression of 3rd addition fans is they really do not mind losing a game if the reason why is funny enough. I managed a tie (my Chaos dwarves vs wood elfs) last week with a turn 8 score because I played the Clone Ball card around turn five. My opponent thought it was hilarious.
Cool.

We use all 4 new decks with Blitzmania cards added.

Miscellaneous Mayhem will be 'under scrutiny' next season but we use them this season.

'under scrutiny' means that some tournaments in the season dont use them.

We play a major, a minor and a cup in the same season. Then we add a one-day tournament and some more minors. We play a season for 6 months.

Reason: ''
Mystic Force
Veteran
Veteran

Mystic force

Post by Mystic Force »

As a "3rd ed guy" I can confirm that yes, humorous losses are awesome, part of me is sad that the competitive part of gaming is dominant in these times. For a tournament yes you want a competitive setup, its designed as a test of skill. For me a league is more about the narrative as it unfolds through the season. If you dont want random stuff you also could avoid the weather table and the kick off table for example.

I am a pro "fun" guy.
stashman

Re: Mystic force

Post by stashman »

Mystic Force wrote:As a "3rd ed guy" I can confirm that yes, humorous losses are awesome, part of me is sad that the competitive part of gaming is dominant in these times. For a tournament yes you want a competitive setup, its designed as a test of skill. For me a league is more about the narrative as it unfolds through the season. If you dont want random stuff you also could avoid the weather table and the kick off table for example.
Hahaha!!!
Three thumbs up!!!

Mystic Force
Veteran
Veteran

Mystic force

Post by Mystic Force »

stashman wrote:
Mystic Force wrote:As a "3rd ed guy" I can confirm that yes, humorous losses are awesome, part of me is sad that the competitive part of gaming is dominant in these times. For a tournament yes you want a competitive setup, its designed as a test of skill. For me a league is more about the narrative as it unfolds through the season. If you dont want random stuff you also could avoid the weather table and the kick off table for example.
Hahaha!!!
Three thumbs up!!!
I see you took the extra arm mutation when you rolled that double.

I am a pro "fun" guy.
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

"I prefer the more strategic elements of the game and there is already enough pain in bad die rolls/kickoffs, without adding additional random events."

Absolutely this!

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
Moraiwe
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Moraiwe »

Digger Goreman wrote:"I prefer the more strategic elements of the game and there is already enough pain in bad die rolls/kickoffs, without adding additional random events.

I feel that this, by itself, is a pretty weak argument for not using the cards. I can understand wanting less randomness, but there are many elements of the game that provide randomness. That people are so against the cards and not, for example, the kickoff table suggests an unwillingness to play the game differently from how they have done so.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Moraiwe wrote:I feel that this, by itself, is a pretty weak argument for not using the cards. I can understand wanting less randomness, but there are many elements of the game that provide randomness. That people are so against the cards and not, for example, the kickoff table suggests an unwillingness to play the game differently from how they have done so.
Not really. If people are saying they're happy with the amount of randomness in the game already (and the KO table was specifically mentioned in the quote) that doesn't mean they should be happy with more randomness. There's already a strategy/randomness balance in the game - some feel the cards tip them to far towards the random.

I personally like the CRP cards, and will continue to use them. I personally can't understand ho anyone liked, let alone still uses, the vanilla 3rd ed cards, and I'm not keen on the BB2016 cards, at least as they're written currently.

BUT

I can understand people that don't, which is why I've never insisted on their use, either in our league or in our tournaments.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Moraiwe
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Moraiwe »

I think you've missed my point, Darkson. People are saying that there is too much randomness... but the only solution they are offering is to remove the cards. There's more than one way to reduce randomness... which suggests there's something more to the cards they don't like. I think they're comfortable with what they're familiar with.

Jorgen_CAB
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Jorgen_CAB »

The whole point with the cards is to break up the stalling game which is so ingrained into the competitive part of the game. This is what the more competitive players don't like.

The cards will make more risky plays rewarded more in general. It will also make passing play (and skill choices) a more viable option which is nothing but good (in my opinion). The cards simply open up for more varied game styles.

In my opinion the cards add a new dimension to the game, not just more randomness. It is another risk factor you simply have to take into account when you play. I'm pretty certain you will still find the same players in the top of leagues and tournament whether you use them or not.

I also think the complaint of more randomness equals bad is somewhat misplaced.

nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

+1

The main thing is a level playing field. Just make sure everyone draws fob the same deck on the same game.

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

I really disliked the 3rd edition cards as many of the dirty tricks and magic items would virtually guarantee to either score or prevent a touchdown whilst others would be useless or just a freee reroll.

In particular with even teams if someone rolled a 6 and got 3 good cards whilst the other guy got 1 rubbish card it would give them an enormous advantage.

I like how many of the newer cards have a drawback as well as an advantage or an element of risk to the user. Some of the are really situational, but you can use them as a psychological weapon. If your opponent is stalling too long then a few meaningful looks at your card could make them believe you have a TD stopper.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
stashman

Post by stashman »

CRP card users may only have seen the miscellaneous mayhem and random events card from BB2016 box.

The new Hall of Fame pack is balanced with random events. Thats 3 really great and balanced card decks but miscellaneous mayhem is a bit over the other 3.

But that's an easy way to fix! Make miscellaneous mayhem cards inducements only. Fixed.

And in Death Zone you dont roll 1-3 cards each, you pick the same quantity depending on the highest teams TV. So the new cards (misc mayhem not counted) are nice and balanced with DZ.

BUT CRP Dirty Tricks cards is way beyond balanced compared to the new Hall of Fame pack with BB2016 boxed random events.

The CRP Dirty Tricks should never have been a 50k card! Pit trap, Trampoline trap, kicking boots, custard pie are all way better than any of the new cards, excluding mayhem.

So CRP users, check the new ones and compare it to dirty tricks. You get a new way to look at it then.

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Jorgen_CAB wrote:The whole point with the cards is to....
Make money....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
Jorgen_CAB
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Jorgen_CAB »

Digger Goreman wrote:
Jorgen_CAB wrote:The whole point with the cards is to....
Make money....
Sure... that is the MAJOR reason for the new cards... how cynical. ;)

I'm pretty sure most groups will have one or two original card sets and make their own thereafter to use in a larger group of people, that is how we always done with stuff like these in our circles.

The ultimate goal of any company is to make money but they need to provide a product people are willing to by and that mean some sort of quality. No one is forced to buy all the cards or even any cards. You can easily make your own if you feel they are too expensive or just don't play with them.

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Jorgen said:
The whole point with the cards is to break up the stalling game which is so ingrained into the competitive part of the game. This is what the more competitive players don't like.
Agreed.
Cards and rostered wizards (back in the day) was a pretty strong medicine against stalling. The game has been very stall heavy since LRB6/CRP, IMO. Cards aren't all bad.

Spubbbba said:
In particular with even teams if someone rolled a 6 and got 3 good cards whilst the other guy got 1 rubbish card it would give them an enormous advantage.
Yup - 3rd ed. Cards were way over the top. CRP Cards were a lot better.
In fact, I remember how in 3rd ed. lots of the quite weak Cards still provided a turnover (i.e. opponent just skips his turn) which was completely nutz!

Cheers
Martin

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead