Varag Ghoul-Chewer available to pre-order on Forgeworld

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

howabe
Experienced
Experienced

Varag Ghoul-Chewer available to pre-order on Forgeworld

Post by howabe »

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Varag-Ghoul-Chewer

Not sure about the squig, but the rest looks good. Dynamic pose is more fitting than it is for Zug I think.

Reason: ''
Kafre es Ispurio
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Varag Ghoul-Chewer available to pre-order on Forgeworld

Post by Kafre es Ispurio »

Dull, It could be called "Generic Orc Blitzer 3".

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Certainly not worth £18!

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

Kafre es Ispurio wrote:Dull, It could be called "Generic Orc Blitzer 3".
Yea, other than the small Skull emblem on the front of his helmet, he really looks like just another Gouged Eye Orc player. It probably didn't help that they painted him in the same color scheme. Also, with the new minis, everyone has a ton of spikes, so a Star Player with added spikes, doesn't really stand out.

I think I would be more inclined to get this if they had options for a squig-less hand and maybe an alternate head. £18 is a lot for one mini, especially one with no options. It looks like overall, I'm going to have to be really choosy about what Star Player minis I pick up. In most cases, I'll probably just stick with the 3rd edition ones I already have.

mikeyc222
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mikeyc222 »

faust_33 wrote:I think I would be more inclined to get this if they had options for a squig-less hand and maybe an alternate head.
zug had a second hand with no football. i would assume that the same would be true for Varag, though i have heard no confirmation one way of the other.

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

mikeyc222 wrote:
faust_33 wrote:I think I would be more inclined to get this if they had options for a squig-less hand and maybe an alternate head.
zug had a second hand with no football. i would assume that the same would be true for Varag, though i have heard no confirmation one way of the other.
Yea, I picked up Zug (just assembled him last night). I really liked that they had the 'no-football' hand option, which is what I used. I really hope they do end up with an optional hand for Varag. When they release Griff, I really hope they have an alternate helmed head. One of the most distinctive things on the guy, and if they didn't add it, I would probably have to cannibalize an old mini.

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

Varag arrived the other day. Nice looking mini. He doesn't have an optional hand though, only the one with a squig. I might try to swap something out, will see. Glad I "waited" to paint my Orcs, so I can paint Varag around the same time.

*Yea, "waited" meaning I haven't had time to assemble, prime, or paint at all.

mikeyc222
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mikeyc222 »

yeah, unfortunately morg does not have an optional hand either.

the solitaire
Star Player
Star Player

Post by the solitaire »

I feel genuinely sorry for those new players buying these before discovering they can buy a complete team for this kind of money.

Dull. Too much spikes going on. Canned tuna. Characterless. Expression of a zombie Orc. I can't even say he looks dynamic. More like he's going to make a face plant. But we had that under zombie already. Face like a plant. And when all of the above could and would be fixed, there is a squig in a place where it doesn't belong, and it isn't even remotely funny.

Same as Morg and the new Dwarves, the Orks, the Humans and the 32mm bases, I'll stick with my pile of lead, thank you very much!

If you can´t fix it with a hammer, you have an electric problem
Deathrain
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Deathrain »

I prefer the new Orcs and Dwarves to most things out there to be honest. Shows how taste is subjective.

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

I'm somewhere on the fence between the new and the old. I like that the new models are more standard in size (other than the refs). However, I'm not crazy about all the spikes and started snipping most of them. Though looking at some of the older models, there were a lot more spikes than I remembered.

I also kind of like the cartoony looks of most of the older models. They are a little more fun, than serious. For me I think it till ultimately depend on how the new models look once I get them all assembled and painted.

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Deathrain wrote:I prefer the new Orcs and Dwarves to most things out there to be honest. Shows how taste is subjective.
I prefer most of GWs new stuff to the alternatives as well. Not only the quality of the sculpts but the casting too. Prices are much better than the majority of the competition too.

Sadly have not liked much of the forge world stuff aside from Griff and Zug. Mind you this Varag, average as he is still outstrips the previous 2 incarnations.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
mikeyc222
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mikeyc222 »

i'm of the opinion that he is WAY too big though, even by modern GW standards. he is larger than the boxed set black orcs, and only slightly smaller than the new morg. he's basically the same size as the 3rd ed morg.