Willy or Greebo (Un-Renaissance) Undead Team?

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

E99
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Willy or Greebo (Un-Renaissance) Undead Team?

Post by E99 »

Thanks, guys! I watched some videos before actually starting to paint (Warhammer TV included) but still don't quite like results. I use wet pallet from the beginning (I read a couple of guides too) so don't know what is the difference with painting without one. I will show my efforts after I get and paint some undead miniatures. :)

Reason: ''
Olaf the Stout
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Olaf the Stout »

E99 wrote:Yeah, I really liked the RN Estudio undead/necro too. I've backed the current Greebo kickstarter project, so will definitely buy some configuration of their un-renaissance teams. And my girl loved the RN Estudio team (first minis she likes) so I will take these and I'm done. :)

Just have to learn how to paint now. I've painted my first minis recently (2-3 experimental D&D miniatures and then an Orc team) and I'm not very good at this. :)
My main advice to someone starting out would be to aim to paint cleanly and neatly.

You can make a mini look pretty good just by making sure that you "paint within the lines" so to speak. Add a wash for some shadows and a highlight or two and most people will be happy with how that looks.

E99
Experienced
Experienced

Post by E99 »

Thanks, Olaf! That's all I'm trying to do, actually. :)

Here is my current WIP of my orcs (bad quality picture, but just quick snapped one to show them):
DSC01353.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

That is already way better than what I can do.
Stop whining! :wink:

E99
Experienced
Experienced

Post by E99 »

Thanks, Regash :) But I've seen a lot of pictures in the forum's threads and they are way better. So I'm just trying to be a good beginner. And a not so bad beginner while playing. :)

Regash

Post by Regash »

So you suffer from the same thing, most young girls suffer from:
Becasue there are only perfect and photoshopped super beauties in the media, they all think they have to look like that.

Don't think that because some Pros show of their paid work means you have to produce a Golden demon Winner everytime you so much as glance at a brush.

Here are some of my "conversion, brush & paint crimes" to behold:
Norse & Chaos Dwarves, Chaos, Orcs & Wood Elves

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

Wow, you're just starting and it already looks better than my years of painting. Ok, I just ordered a wet palette, so I can become a super painter too! :lol:

I wouldn't say I've had a lot of experience painting though, more experience playing games, and when I get the time I will try my hand at painting. My problem is I'm really bad at figuring out how to shade and highlight. I'll start highlighting an area, and pretty soon I've talked myself into highlighting every possible surface. Same with shading. I'm hoping I've finally learned from past mistakes and when I find time to tackle the new minis, they will all look like Golden Demon Winners. Well maybe not, but at least something I would be proud of.

Anyways, looks like you are off to a great start. I like the blue/silver scheme you have going for the Orcs. The Orc flesh looks good. Did you prime the minis before you started on them? Just asking because it looks like the bases haven't been primed. Back to the "blue", it's got a nice balance with the Orc green. I haven't really liked the Gouged Eye red team color that people have been using on these minis, so my plan will be to use something else. Probably orange, though I've always had a hard time finding a Vallejo game orange that I like. I guess I should look in their model line.

One last question, what brand of paints are you using?

E99
Experienced
Experienced

Post by E99 »

Regash wrote:So you suffer from the same thing, most young girls suffer from:
Becasue there are only perfect and photoshopped super beauties in the media, they all think they have to look like that.
Spot on! :) I really like your conversions. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with AoS/Warhammer miniature range, so probably can't fully appreciate your job. Your painting seems very clean - I often find many mistakes and have to redo one little spot only to have paint on the previous detail - sometimes I do this several times to "stay in the lines" :).

Thanks, Faust! I primed all minis using Vallejo black primer (to hide any missed spots later on). I airbrushed them with a borrowed airbrush. I didn't prime the bases separately - they were on the minis while priming them. But they aren't fully primed probably - I will have some sand and static grass over them. I use GW paints and I have several Vallejo bottles. These are the only two brands that I found in Bulgaria (the Vallejo line is quite slim here though). The orange (on the thrower) is actually Vallejo game color but I don't quite like it either.

There aren't many miniature painters here in Bulgaria so I learn only from videos and my own mistakes. For example I am not quite sure how much to thin my paints. Anyway, the game is great and I found that the painting really relax me. Something I need after games such as my first league game where one of my Blitzers died and a Black Orc got -1 MA. :)

CyberedElf
Veteran
Veteran

Post by CyberedElf »

I highly recommend the dvd series from darksword miniatures.
I got a lot from "Masterworks Miniature Painting With Jen Haley and Anne Foerster"

You specifically mentioned "how much to thin." That dvd starts from the beginning and gets fairly advanced.

Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dr. Von Richten »

Regash wrote:So you suffer from the same thing, most young girls suffer from:

Don't think that because some Pros show of their paid work means you have to produce a Golden demon Winner everytime you so much as glance at a brush.

Here are some of my "conversion, brush & paint crimes" to behold:
Norse & Chaos Dwarves, Chaos, Orcs & Wood Elves
I've looked at these so-called 'crimes', and while they're actually pretty decently painted, they could fairly easily be made significantly better by a heavier shading/washing and then a highlighting. :)

Also, by putting them on round bases, but that has been discussed before! :P

Regash

Post by Regash »

Dr. Von Richten wrote:I've looked at these so-called 'crimes', and while they're actually pretty decently painted, they could fairly easily be made significantly better by a heavier shading/washing and then a highlighting. :)
I've looked at them again and they actually look a lot better than they do in real life. Maybe I was lucky with the lighting when I took those pictures.
I never bought any kind of wash as I always thought, they're just thinned down paints anyway. And highlighting is something that I always f**k up completely. DRybrush is all I got! :orc:

Sorry for hijacking the thread. :oops:

E99
Experienced
Experienced

Post by E99 »

CyberedElf wrote:I highly recommend the dvd series from darksword miniatures.
I got a lot from "Masterworks Miniature Painting With Jen Haley and Anne Foerster"

You specifically mentioned "how much to thin." That dvd starts from the beginning and gets fairly advanced.
I will definitely check them out, thanks!

Regash, I think that the thread has become way more useful. :) And I already ordered the undead/necro team from RN Estudio. Thinking of buying Greebo's Khemri team (from their Un-Renaissance range) just to get their minis too.

Regash

Post by Regash »

With all three of them Undeads I went with willy miniatures.
Haven't done anyting with them yet, all still packed and untouched.

Right now I'm looking for models that could be used as Snots for my Ogre team as the old Goblins I use are not to my liking.

E99
Experienced
Experienced

Post by E99 »

I want to make an Ogre team as well, but with 6 ogres isn't the price of the minis too high? Also, how big the snots are in comparison to the goblins? Are they the same size?

Regash

Post by Regash »

I already have a lot of Ogre miniatures.
I'm only looking for good ideas on what to use as Snotlings in this thread.
I don't want to go with Goblins again but I can't seem to find decently small miniatures that I like.