UK National Co-ordinator for the NAF
Organiser for the Welsh Open

Follow me on http://www.twtich.tv/Hawca_
Gripper
Rookie
Rookie

Re: NAF Championships 2017 - April 29th and 30th

Post by Gripper »

I've been given put on the ticket list but never received the confirmation email. Just checking all is fine:

143. Griptenstien 22298

Thanks

Reason: ''
yogi
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by yogi »

money sent thank you pay day

Boneless
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Boneless »

Gripper wrote:I've been given put on the ticket list but never received the confirmation email. Just checking all is fine:

143. Griptenstien 22298

Thanks

all is fine :) looking forward to it

Greshvakk
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Greshvakk »

Quick piece of feedback on the rules changes and this part in particular: " We wanted to widen the number of viable races, and move away from a situation where the 5 or 6 most powerful choices dominate the top tables. This was driven by feedback received from attending players at both events."

Not quite sure who's feedback was listened to - I was at both events and don't recall being asked the question. So since I wasn't asked it then I'll give my opinion now: tiering at the Majors is a terrible idea. Say, for example, 7 of the top 8 teams this year are High Elf - what will you do? Tweak the tiering for next year of course. Or say no change is seen and the top tables are still the usual suspects - will you keep tweaking the tiers until there is an even representation of teams up there? Is that even possible?

What target state are you looking for? And are you sure you have everyone's buy in to achieve it? Tiers will just create false bonuses for certain teams and so you will endlessly tweak the tiers to absolutely no end because the truth is you have no clear idea of what your target state is supposed to be - or even if that target state is 'better' in most people's opinion. At lesser tournaments sure let people mix it up with tiering but keep this bullshit out of the majors.

straume
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by straume »

Hang on, mate. If we even get 7 High Elves team to sign up I would be surprised ;-)

I think it is a fair assumptoin that the top tables will see the usual suspects, the biggest upside for me is that I think this slight tiering might help diversify the race picks a bit. With no tiering taking, say, Pro Elves, is just a bad choice. Putting them in tier2, well, one can argue it is no longer a bad choice.

So a small upside there in my opinion. What exactly is the downside? (Except your fear of the slippery slope and endless pointless tweaking, let`s cross that bridge if we get there).

Boneless

Post by Boneless »

Greshvakk wrote:Quick piece of feedback on the rules changes and this part in particular: " We wanted to widen the number of viable races, and move away from a situation where the 5 or 6 most powerful choices dominate the top tables. This was driven by feedback received from attending players at both events."

Not quite sure who's feedback was listened to - I was at both events and don't recall being asked the question. So since I wasn't asked it then I'll give my opinion now: tiering at the Majors is a terrible idea. Say, for example, 7 of the top 8 teams this year are High Elf - what will you do? Tweak the tiering for next year of course. Or say no change is seen and the top tables are still the usual suspects - will you keep tweaking the tiers until there is an even representation of teams up there? Is that even possible?

What target state are you looking for? And are you sure you have everyone's buy in to achieve it? Tiers will just create false bonuses for certain teams and so you will endlessly tweak the tiers to absolutely no end because the truth is you have no clear idea of what your target state is supposed to be - or even if that target state is 'better' in most people's opinion. At lesser tournaments sure let people mix it up with tiering but keep this bullshit out of the majors.

while Im not the biggest fan of tiering (See Welsh open - 8 years and no tiering) keeping the masses happy is the hardest thing I've encountered taking on the NAFC, that said I've gone with a tried and tested rules pack used at the Euro Bowl 2015 iirc and this years euro bowl have something very similar.

I think this gives some of the weaker teams a boost day 1 but in the grand scheme we will still see the same races with the same coaches representing the top tables. That said I will continue to put up a feedback post and ask for constructive feedback, if its opposed with good reason then my team and I will reflect and address accordingly

Ringbeard
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Ringbeard »

Greshvakk wrote:...Say, for example, 7 of the top 8 teams this year are High Elf...
Gresh if 7 of the 8 top teams this year are High Elf, I will get a tattoo of you dressed as Prince Moranian on my left butt cheek - consider this a legally binding promise.

The Waterbowl, home of Blood Bowl in Manchester: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1439880136307855/
danger rat
Experienced
Experienced

Post by danger rat »

Ringbeard wrote:
Greshvakk wrote:...Say, for example, 7 of the top 8 teams this year are High Elf...
Gresh if 7 of the 8 top teams this year are High Elf, I will get a tattoo of you dressed as Prince Moranian on my left butt cheek - consider this a legally binding promise.
If only we had a like button on here!

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Hmm, wonder if we can all take High Elf?

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
AwesomeStu
Experienced
Experienced

Post by AwesomeStu »

We must otherwise it would be illogical

Also known as awesome
Skaffen
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Skaffen »

I am assuming the number on the attendees list is your NAF id number, if so mine is 92.

Better to sit quietly and look the fool than to open your mouth and confirm the fact!
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Skaffen wrote:I am assuming the number on the attendees list is your NAF id number, if so mine is 92.
Showing off chap. Nice :)

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Wobert
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Wobert »

Apologies if I have missed it . . . but when is the last date someone can sign up? I am hoping to go but it will depend upon work and a few outstanding decisions. If I can get there this will be 23 of the 24 done (I was hoping for it to be 24 but missed an event last year I planned to be at).

Skaffen
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Skaffen »

lunchmoney wrote:
Skaffen wrote:I am assuming the number on the attendees list is your NAF id number, if so mine is 92.
Showing off chap. Nice :)
Yes, having such a low number means I am really good at bloodbowl as I have been playing so long! See it and quake in fear opponents! ;)

Better to sit quietly and look the fool than to open your mouth and confirm the fact!