2nd Edition Fetishism

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Bakunin
Star Player
Star Player

2nd Edition Fetishism

Post by Bakunin »

Show us your 1st and 2nd edition teams!

Here from the show us your teams thread:

Reason: ''
Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
the solitaire
Star Player
Star Player

Re: 2nd Edition Fetishism

Post by the solitaire »

I often prefer 1st and 2nd edition miniatures over newer ones. Really into the Oldhammer style, most likely because that's when I first got infected with TMAS (Tabletop Miniature Acquisition Syndrome) but could not afford buying most of what I saw.

I have not yet had the courage to paint my 2nd edition plastics. Have Orcs, Humans, Elfs and Dwarves in plastic. I did gather a few 2nd edition miniatures over the past few years and hope to add some more in the future, along with miniatures that fit the style.

In return, I do not really feel much for spending money on new releases.

Here are my 2 painted 2md edition teams:

ImageDSC_5823 by b j, on Flickr

ImageDSC_5808 by b j, on Flickr

ImageDSC_5806 by b j, on Flickr

As with all my Bloodbowl, I complement as I see fit, and since I didn't quite like the Deathroller....

ImageUntitled-1 by b j, on Flickr

I also added a few 2nd edition Goblins to my Orc/Goblin team and found all 3 2nd edition Trolls

ImageDSC_7268-Edit by b j, on Flickr

Then there is Nurgle, where I used Oldhammer Plague Bearers as Rotters

ImageDSC_5783 by b j, on Flickr

I hope to add Franarcellas Chaos Warriors to complete the team in style

And then there is a team that has not seen a drop of paint yet, so no photo. I have 6 2nd edition Ogres. Need me some cheapo metal Snotlings

If you can´t fix it with a hammer, you have an electric problem
0ni0n
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 0ni0n »

Those teams are stunning :o

I've never seen that dwarf wizard before, where's it from?

BullBear
Star Player
Star Player

Post by BullBear »

the solitaire wrote:ImageDSC_5823 by b j, on Flickr
I've admired this team since you posted in to the FB group some months ago. I've never really been able to capture that 2nd ed paint style. The colors aren't as vibrant or bold, but a bit more subdued or 'faded'. How did you paint this team?

the solitaire
Star Player
Star Player

Post by the solitaire »

0ni0n wrote:Those teams are stunning :o

I've never seen that dwarf wizard before, where's it from?
Unfortunately I have no clue where he came from. Back in 1999 I sold my 5th edition Dwarf army and as part of the deal got a big box full of older Dwarven miniatures (enough to make up the same army, but now with Oldhammer style Dwarves). The Wizard was part of that deal. My best guess is that he is 1st edition WHFB as he came with a tab for a slotted base

the solitaire
Star Player
Star Player

Post by the solitaire »

BullBear wrote:
I've admired this team since you posted in to the FB group some months ago. I've never really been able to capture that 2nd ed paint style. The colors aren't as vibrant or bold, but a bit more subdued or 'faded'. How did you paint this team?
Thank you both for the kind words

This paint style grew on my over the years. I never really aimed at a particular style, but it more or less evolved and matured. I tried every technique in the book and many that were never written down. What I can say about this team and about the minatures shown in for instance the 2nd Edition Bloodbowl and 2nd Edition Warhammer 40k rulebooks is:

The style emerges from the choice of colors AND the way they are applied. I'm not saying can't, but it will be challenging to achieve such a result by going with a modern color style/combination or by applying colors using contemporary techniques.

So what I did is:

1: Decide on a clear contrast between a base color and an accent color in this case grey as base, red checkers as contrast)

2: Find a distribution of both of the above that suits the miniatures in the team

3: Basecoat in white

4: Apply your base colors keeping in mind that whatever you do, you will work from dark to light

5: For your highlights mix greys/bonewhite to your base color. White is only used for a final highlight

6: You can work as extensively and detailed as you wish. Two brush blending, washes, whatever. You can, but this older style characterises itself by surfaces. Do not overdo it on freehand detail.

Those were the guidelines I kept myself to

And as with everything in painting, modeling and other creative arts. There is always more then one truth

Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

0ni0n wrote:I've never seen that dwarf wizard before, where's it from?
Dwarf 15 in http://www.solegends.com/citcat1988/cat1988p042-00.htm

mawph
Super Star
Super Star

Post by mawph »

BullBear wrote:
There's a thread in here about how GW's spray varnish creates a frosted effect on models. I used it on my undead team and actually quite like the effect, which mutes the colours, as per the palette here. My painting isn't as good though ;)
Worth also stating that I've invested in different spray varnish to apply to other teams, as I'm not a fan of the effect for all teams!

Blackshirt Hunter Extraordinaire (2004)
Fish out of water (Waterbowl 2012)
Winner Thrud 2019!
0ni0n
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 0ni0n »

Steam Ball wrote:
0ni0n wrote:I've never seen that dwarf wizard before, where's it from?
Dwarf 15 in http://www.solegends.com/citcat1988/cat1988p042-00.htm
Amazing, thanks Steam Ball!

bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Post by bound for glory »

Yeah, that human team is really outstanding.

I've been painting miniatures since 1977. I wish I could paint like that...

Rick Sanchez lives!
the solitaire
Star Player
Star Player

Post by the solitaire »

bound for glory wrote:Yeah, that human team is really outstanding.

I've been painting miniatures since 1977. I wish I could paint like that...
If you mean my human team, then thank you very much :)

I have painted a lot of miniatures from 1999 through 2006. Ever since 2006 I hardly find the time. When I do I'm glad when I can finish a team or two.

I find my inspiration by looking at what the real good guys do. Rudiger Rickassel (goes by the name of traveller on this forum I believe) is exceptionally talented, as are some other painters on this board

From what I read and experienced (had "frosted" teams twice myself) it's a combination of inappropriate (too low) working temperature and high humidity.

I use brush on varnish on all my models. Spray varnish only goes on the custom diecast.

My personal favorite from the teams shown here must be the Hamedan Oilers. Excellent execution of a great concept. Inspires me to buy 2nd Edition Chaos Dwarves rather then Greebos CD offering

raivan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by raivan »

Here is the last i have painted

Hjelmen
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Hjelmen »

raivan, that is a bloody amazing team! Good work! Thanks for sharing :)

Bakunin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Bakunin »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
Bakunin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Bakunin »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.