1.1 Humans

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

OdoGoodgrubb
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

1.1 Humans

Post by OdoGoodgrubb »

Looking to play Humans in a 3-game 1.1K resurrection tournament, with up to 6 free skills added (2 of which may be doubles, but no doubles for the Ogre). I have no idea what other teams I could be facing, but the event should have lots of coaches covering most of the available teams. Here are some rosters I'm considering:

ROSTER "A"
4x Blitzers (guard, guard)
Ogre (guard)
Thrower (block)
2x Catchers (block, block)
4x Line
3RR with Apothecary or extra Lineman (or 4RR w/o Apo/Line)

Not sure I want any Catchers, let alone 2 of them, but I figure with Block perhaps they can be useful and 2 of them won't be as easily dealt with as just one (maybe, lol).
2x Throwers (block on at least 1)
5x Line

This roster still gets 2 more skills, and I am thinking at least one of the Blitzers should get Tackle. Lots of other possibilities for the last skill. I sometimes favor 2 throwers simply for the versatility on the pitch and having just one is an obvious target. Right now this is the roster I am leaning towards using.
2x Catchers (block, block)
4x Line

This one's a mix/compromise of the first two, removing the Ogre and including 2 each of the throwers and catchers. There's still 1 skill left to choose if I take this option. I really think, though, that at 1.1K I should probably include the Ogre as he's a nice roadblock that can take hits away from my other players and if I'm lucky he'll hurt someone in the process (hopefully not himself!).
Thrower (block)
Catcher (block)
6x Line
3RR

This is a little of everything. With 13 players, I can hold the catcher for OTT attempts or as a last resort reserve; perhaps even playing him more if I go up against an agile or fast opponent. There's still 1 skill left to choose with this roster as well, and like before I think Tackle on one of the Blitzers may be beneficial.

So, what feedback do you guys have? Namely, I am wondering the following:

1. Why bother using any catchers? I know the actual odds, but is adding Block enough to truly make a meaningful difference in their fragility?

2. Is 3RR enough for a conservative, running-style strategy? I would think yes, but should events dictate more risky play that 4th RR would be nice if a player with the right skill is not at hand.

3. What advice on choice of last skill(s)? I'm quite sure about 3x guard (1 on Ogre, 2 on blitzers) plus block on a thrower. Not sure how many blodgers I will face, but a Tackle blitzer seems sensible just in case.

Thanks! :)

Reason: ''
harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Re: 1.1 Humans

Post by harvestmouse »

Roster D is clearly the best. OTT attempts with MA8 AG3 isn't a tactic you should be relying on........more of a last chance saloon hailmary effort to save the match. So if you're including the catcher for this..........it's not worth the money.

1. Catchers in progression have agility access and come with dodge. What's more they're MA8. Starting with blodge (as you plan) means they're not THAT soft. If you have a blitz and no tackle on your team, are you going to waste it on a player with blodge? Maybe not.

2. 3RR is definitely enough for a conservative style. With an experienced coach 1RR could be enough. The more block and dodge you have...........the less RRs you should need.

3. Tackle is certainly worth considering. Remembering your blitzers are your best players, they should be thought about first when considering what skills to take.

RoterSternHochdahl
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by RoterSternHochdahl »

harvestmouse wrote:Roster D is clearly the best. OTT attempts with MA8 AG3 isn't a tactic you should be relying on........more of a last chance saloon hailmary effort to save the match. So if you're including the catcher for this..........it's not worth the money.

1. Catchers in progression have agility access and come with dodge. What's more they're MA8. Starting with blodge (as you plan) means they're not THAT soft. If you have a blitz and no tackle on your team, are you going to waste it on a player with blodge? Maybe not.

2. 3RR is definitely enough for a conservative style. With an experienced coach 1RR could be enough. The more block and dodge you have...........the less RRs you should need.

3. Tackle is certainly worth considering. Remembering your blitzers are your best players, they should be thought about first when considering what skills to take.
+1

13 men + apo are great. 1 Catcher gives you options in attack and defense, I personall never needed or wanted more

"Chess is two stoic soviet sleeper agents silently conducting 300 possibility calculations per second. Blood bowl is a game where a halfling makes a shepherds pie so you lose all your re rolls." (Thanks to nonumber)
OdoGoodgrubb
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by OdoGoodgrubb »

Thanks, guys! Going to play some games with Roster "D" (giving one Blitzer Tackle) and see how it goes. :)

gregory_n_white
Experienced
Experienced

Post by gregory_n_white »

Agree with above. Some other thoughts for you to ponder:

You definitely need tackle. Consider 1 "hitting" blitzer with tackle and if you really want, tackle MB. That may be overkill or could be invaluable against elves etc.

I would consider accurate over block on the thrower. You may have games where you need to score fast. Personally I would be more confident protecting my thrower from being hit, than making a long pass or bomb with only AG3 pass skill. And in a pinch, your whole team is ag3 so anyone has a decent chance of making the catch.

Id think about a second catcher with wrestle, or a lino with wrestle. Having the st3 lino with wrestle seems better but having a high move, dodge player able to cover more ground is useful and 2d against with a wrestler is not bad odds.

nonumber
Super Star
Super Star

Post by nonumber »

So I'm late to this but with six singles I would go with something like

Blitzer - Guard
Blitzer - Guard
Blitzer - Guard
Blitzer - Tackle

Lineman - Block
Lineman - Block

You don't need to block the thrower as the idea is to not get him hit. Catcher for mobile assist and hand off option, doesn't need block. I find some blocking linemen useful.

Could drop one guard for another tackle but I like three.

"Sometimes you're a big dog wearing a small hat, sometimes you're a small dog wearing a big one. That's life, baby."