Anti-Bash Skills?

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

jollyork
Veteran
Veteran

Anti-Bash Skills?

Post by jollyork »

I'm curious why BB doesn't have counter-skills for the various bash skills that exist? On the surface, it seems like a simple way to let Agility teams add a bit of survivability, while also making them choose between more offensive-geared skills and avoiding injury.

I made a quick list of bash skills:
Dirty Player (+1 to armour/inj rolls on fouls)
Mighty Blow (+1 to armour/inj rolls)
Piling On (reroll armour rolls)
Claw (armour roll of 8 or higher counts as broken)

And a list of "anti-bash" skills:
Thick Skull (injury roll of 8 is only Stunned)

Seems a bit unbalanced with 4 bash skills and only 1 anti-bash. What if the rules added a couple more to the Agility category:

Lithe - the player is unusually stretchy, bendy, or slippery. Opposing players must -1 from armour rolls against this player.

Nimble - the player's reactions border on preternatural. Opposing players must reroll successful armour breaks against this player.

Obviously, Lithe is an opposite skill for Mighty Blow and Nimble is an opposite for both Dirty Player and Piling On. Since Claw is a mutation and not effective against most Agility team players (AV 7), it seems safe to not develop a counter. What's intriguing to me is that when a player develops into an star, the coach will face a tough decision of adding on that next offensive skill or picking one of these to keep him alive longer.

Anyway, just a random idea. Any thoughts?

Reason: ''
www.OrdoFanaticus.com
bouncergriim
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Anti-Bash Skills?

Post by bouncergriim »

antibash-
Fend - stops follow up (piling on and frenzy)
Wrestle - block result = no armor roll and effectively cancels block
dodge - keeps a player up instead of knocked down when *! ed

gregory_n_white
Experienced
Experienced

Post by gregory_n_white »

Also the balance between bash and ag where ag teams can move away from blockers reducing the number of blocks they receive each turn.

If dwarves are maked up they are generally stuck; if an elf is marked up, chances are he that he can get away.

Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

General notes of some more useful skills, see rules for exact effects (like Grab vs Side Step):
Side Step - defender controls pushes, defusing chain pushes and moving to the worst place for the basher, or to a safe place.
Stand Firm - no push, the square that had to be freed keeps on causing problems to the basher.
Guard - not exactly anti bash, as it helps anyone to attack or defend.
Foul Appearance - wastes 1 in 6 blocks against the player.

Moraiwe
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Moraiwe »

jollyork wrote: Dirty Player (reroll armour on fouls)
Mighty Blow (+1 to armour rolls)
Thought I'd mention (just in case you weren't typing in a hurry) that this isn't how these skills work. Dirty Player is a +1 to either Armour or Injury on a foul. Mighty Blow is a +1 either Armour or Injury on a block. Piling On is a reroll of Armour or Injury rolls.

jollyork
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jollyork »

Moraiwe wrote:
jollyork wrote: Dirty Player (reroll armour on fouls)
Mighty Blow (+1 to armour rolls)
Thought I'd mention (just in case you weren't typing in a hurry) that this isn't how these skills work. Dirty Player is a +1 to either Armour or Injury on a foul. Mighty Blow is a +1 either Armour or Injury on a block. Piling On is a reroll of Armour or Injury rolls.
Thanks, I was typing fast. I have edited the OP.

www.OrdoFanaticus.com
jollyork
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jollyork »

Skills like Fend, Wrestle, etc., I don't consider anti-bash as they don't really stop being bashed. Wrestle may stop the initial block and armour roll, but the player is still on the ground as a perfect target for being fouled.

It is a fair point that simply moving away is the best anti-bash option for Agility teams. However, skills like Tackle and Diving Tackle make that less of a sure thing. I still think there's room for a couple of skills to protect players a bit. In many cases it would simply be a matter of counteracting the bash skill (Mighty Blow vs. Lithe = normal armour roll).

www.OrdoFanaticus.com
Dolch
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dolch »

I think that the balance is pretty good. The Step-back defense limits bashy teams to 1 hit per turn. Fend, Dodge, etc all play their role.

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

Agility anti-bash skills are agility teams taking bash skills....terrifying.

I think what you are suggesting would do 1 of 2 things. 1. Gives Elves far too much (they're exceptional in certain situations as it is). 2. Give skills that aren't worth the cost. Block and Dodge dominate elven skill picks and only the need of some tackle, wrestle, diving tackle, kick...a few doubles stop elves from blanket purchasing the 2 skills.

In an environment where being cost effective is a priority (pretty much anything lrb 5 onwards) I really don't see much use for fend.