Scottish Championship 2017 - Mike_Rushby wins!

Post your announcement for your tournament. You many only have ONE thread per a tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Garrick
Super Star
Super Star

Scottish Championship 2017 - Mike_Rushby wins!

Post by Garrick »

Scottish Championships 2017 Rules

To be eligible a coach has to either live in Scotland or be demonstrably Scottish.
Any open and easily accessible tournament can be nominated for inclusion.
Nominations to be made prior to the event, and for inclusion there must be a minimum of 6 Scots entering.
3 Scores per coach, with a minimum of 1 score being from a tournament held in Scotland.
Race restrictions are currently under consideration
5 points for 1st down to 1 point for 5th for 1 day tournaments and non-Scottish tournaments
6 points for 1st down to 1 point for 6th for 2 day tournaments.
Tie breaker is highest overall placing at Burger Bowl.

Current tournaments nominated for inclusion:

WaterBowl, Stockport 18/19 February 2017 completed and not enough Scots to count.
BridieBowl, Arbroath 18 March 2017 completed and results included.
MonkeyBowl, Hartlepool 1/2 April 2017 completed and results included.
NAF Championships 29/30 April 2017 completed and results included.
Granite Bowl 20/21 May 2017 completed and results included.
BurgerBowl, Edinburgh 15/16 July 2017 completed and results included.
OchilBowl, Stirling 12/13 August 2017 completed and results included.
GeordieBowl, Newcastle 2/3 September 2017 completed and results included.
Grumpy Goblin, Kilmarnock 4 November 2017 completed and results included.

Final 2017 standings:

15pts Mike_Rushby (3*)
14pts Garrick (3*)
11pts Sadface (3*)
10pts Vanguard (3*)
9pts Phil78 (3*)
9pts Purdindas (3*)
8pts Donshula (3*)
7pts Kevljm04 (2*)
6pts JackH (1*)
6pts LordGarlack (3*)
6pts Jayycee (1*)
5pts Valen (1)
4pts MarzM (1*)
4pts Sporran (1*)
3pts HumptyTrump (2*)
3pts Bill (1)
2pts AngusDad (1)
1pt ROIRIN (1*)
1pt Cam (1)

The number in brackets is the number of tournaments making up each coaches points and an asterix means that coach has completed the criteria: "a minimum of 1 score being from a tournament held in Scotland".

Hall of Fame

1st Garrick
2nd Mike_Rushby
3rd HumptyTrump
4th Sadface

1st Garrick
2nd Purdindas
3rd DonShula
4th Valen

1st Purdindas
2nd Lord_Squinty
3rd LordGarlack
4th Vanguard

For 2015 and 2016 the top 4 qualified for the following year's Scottish Eurobowl team; from 2017 onwards the top 3 will qualify for the following year's Eurobowl team (Mike_Rushby, Garrick and Sadface for Eurobowl 2018 in Wales).

Reason: ''
The artist formerly known as Dipso Gnome.

Garrick
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Scottish Championship 2017

Post by Garrick »

Moved from the Waterbowl thread:
Verbal_HM wrote:I'm kinda half guessing, truth be told.

I honestly thought that team Scotland only had three styles to cross.

1) Be Scottish
2) Be an ex-pat
3) Be somebody who had played for Scotland in competitive BB before

Back in the day when the only one of you who would bother to travel the globe was Doomy? That's when I bumped into 'Team Scotland', his collective bunch of dupes were mostly from Norway as those were the people he went out there to meet.

So if you include the Scottish, the ex-pats, and the people who have already played international BB for 'Team Scotland', the welsh open this year was pretty bloody close to your technical limit of numbers of 'locals' turning up?

I am actually glad to see team Scotland progress past the Doomy days, and start to look at bringing a competitive roster. Shame it took you guys so long to get your act together.

Trust me, after going out drinking with the team Wales captain at the Welsh Open, you guys have nothing to lose.

Dammit, you ended up talking about real 'politrix', there was me talking about plain old simple BB politics. Drafting for National teams is fuvling ugly. It's torn between the people who you would like to play for your team vs who the hell is willing to pay about £500 to play 6 games of BB?
The first two "Styles" to cross are correct but the 3rd is not.

The first Scottish Eurobowl team I played for was captained by Zulu and included Doomy plus two Norwegian Freebooters which I suspect is the Doomy days you are referring to above.

Zulu has since declared for Norway whilst Team Scotland has gone from strength to strength.

Unfortunately we did not play to our full potential in Orebro but 4 of us were in the UKTC team that came 4th this year including beating Clique and Destroy (4 of the England team regulars). Places for Team Scotland are now fiercely contested for and three of them are up for grabs through the Scottish Championships.

Verbal_HM
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Verbal_HM »

Sorry, never really considered that you might be so committed that you were one of those people.

I met Doomy at my first ever TT event. The 2012 NAF Champs, had been playing in a Cyanide league with him for about 18 months before that. Round 5, there he was, his Undead vs my Flings...

The rest is history.

'Well it's the Verbal Herman Munster, word enhancer, sick of phony mobsters controlling the dance floor. I'm in those dark places, catch you when you're stark naked, your heart races as I bump you for your chart spaces!'
Garrick
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Garrick »

Verbal_HM wrote:Sorry, never really considered that you might be so committed that you were one of those people.

I met Doomy at my first ever TT event. The 2012 NAF Champs, had been playing in a Cyanide league with him for about 18 months before that. Round 5, there he was, his Undead vs my Flings...

The rest is history.
I have just worked out that I will be the only member of the Scottish Team at Eurobowl 2012 who will be in the Scottish Team for Eurobowl 2016 (having played every Eurobowl in between), so you are right I probably should be committed ;)

fromherashes
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fromherashes »

You may see a few new faces on the leaderboard this year. Maybe the central belt stranglehold will be broken, who knows?

Garrick
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Garrick »

fromherashes wrote:You may see a few new faces on the leaderboard this year. Maybe the central belt stranglehold will be broken, who knows?
I certainly hope so. Last year we had two new faces in the top 4: the first from your fair city (Aberdeen) and the second the youngest member of Team Scotland yet at 21. Long may it continue and the popularity of Blood Bowl rise in Scotland.

zulu
Experienced
Experienced

Post by zulu »

Well, I am disappointed :cry: I see that I have been disenfranchised of my nationality. As far as I was concerned that I was born in Scotland, considered myself a Scot, still call Scotland home even after 33 years away, still have my UK passport. but it seems I do not meet the criteria to take part in the Scottish championship :( although bearing in mind my pathetic efforts in the Welsh open will probably save some embarrassment. Something to do with being part of team Norway for Eurobowl , yet the criteria does not seem to mention that as a disbarring factor. :) However it solves an issue for me. I was half thinking of entering this, but was trying to work out how to fit in the one qualifying tournament in Scotland. That involves a lot of negotiation with the Head Coach to consider the charms of Scotland over Italy, Greece or Spain :D But as I am not eligible for the Scottish Championship does not seem the same point. Enjoy :D

PS the freebooters at Euro 2012 were Swedish, not Norwegian. One of them Kenny regularly attends the Welsh Open.

Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Vanguard »

Don't think anyone is saying that Zulu. The qualifying criteria for the Scottish Championships remains To be eligible a coach has to either live in Scotland or be demonstrably Scottish. As someone born is Scotland, I think you meet that without any concerns.

Not so sure about the EuroBowl rules. I think they're equally generous but discourage a change of nationality. So if you've most recently represented Team Norway then you might be ineligible for Team Scotland at a EuroBowl. Although I'm hardly the best qualified to comment, so hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chip in.

zulu
Experienced
Experienced

Post by zulu »

Maybe I misunderstood the post :D Representing at Eurobowl is a different matter and I was not alluding to that.While I agree the Eurobowl rules are quite lose, it would not be correct to continually jump from 1 nation to another, and Scotland has enough players now looking for spots. However if they were short and came calling... could I resist the call of home? :D

Garrick
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Garrick »

zulu wrote:Maybe I misunderstood the post :D Representing at Eurobowl is a different matter and I was not alluding to that.While I agree the Eurobowl rules are quite lose, it would not be correct to continually jump from 1 nation to another, and Scotland has enough players now looking for spots. However if they were short and came calling... could I resist the call of home? :D
You cheeky beggar, you were asked if you wanted to play for Scotland and chose to captain Norway instead :lol: .

Anybody else have an opinion on whether or not the captain of the Norwegian Eurobowl team can compete in the Scottish Championships?

fromherashes
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fromherashes »

Garrick wrote:
zulu wrote:Maybe I misunderstood the post :D Representing at Eurobowl is a different matter and I was not alluding to that.While I agree the Eurobowl rules are quite lose, it would not be correct to continually jump from 1 nation to another, and Scotland has enough players now looking for spots. However if they were short and came calling... could I resist the call of home? :D
You cheeky beggar, you were asked if you wanted to play for Scotland and chose to captain Norway instead :lol: .

Anybody else have an opinion on whether or not the captain of the Norwegian Eurobowl team can compete in the Scottish Championships?
If he's Scottish and is playing in the tournaments listed then I personally wouldn't have an issue with it...

Garrick
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Garrick »

fromherashes wrote:
Garrick wrote:

If he's Scottish and is playing in the tournaments listed then I personally wouldn't have an issue with it...
OK Stephen, it looks like you are officially Scottish :)

AllyRdr
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AllyRdr »

zulu wrote: although bearing in mind my pathetic efforts in the Welsh open will probably save some embarrassment.
Luckily as well that there weren't enough of us at the Welsh for it to count towards this, as I had a terrible first day as well.

@AllyRdr - for occasional inane rubbish
Garrick
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Garrick »

The first qualifying tournament has been completed and Aberdeen's answer to George Clooney has taken an early lead.

Valen
Walking on the beaches...

Post by Valen »

You got the monkeybowl results yet :)

I'm coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice... I'm talkin' pain, boy. Searing, mind-numbing pain!!!