Chaos Renegades DZ2

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Milo
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Chaos Renegades DZ2

Post by Milo »

faust_33 wrote:
Milo wrote:
Darkson wrote: Though the roster is meant to represent the Chaos All-Stars?
(Not that I disagree with the addition, just seems strange to change the target of the roster.)
The Chaos All-Stars is only one example of a Chaos Renegade team, but there are specific rules for them in the historical teams section.
The "specific rules" you're mentioning are in DZ2? Or is it something I overlooked?
Yep. Pages 70-71.

Reason: ''
Milo

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

Thanks, look forward to reading it, once my book a-r-r-i-v-e-s.... Makes me think I should have picked up the digital copy instead. :roll:

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Darkson is correct ... the entire point of the Chaos Pact team was so that a player could build the exact team that was in the 2nd edition hardback books showing the Chaos All-Stars roster. That was the mission he gave us. As long as that is still possible ... I'm all good.

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Milo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Milo »

faust_33 wrote:Thanks, look forward to reading it, once my book a-r-r-i-v-e-s.... Makes me think I should have picked up the digital copy instead. :roll:
Do what I did and buy both! (I even bought both the App versions of the rules AND the ePUBs, so I'm a glutton for punishment.)

Milo

firebreather
Champion Muppet

Post by firebreather »

Happy to see an orc added to the roster, if only so I can add another character to my Wonderland team.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

And I looked ... and yes ... you can still build the 2nd ed Chaos All-Stars ... so thanks BB team!

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

Milo wrote:
faust_33 wrote:Thanks, look forward to reading it, once my book a-r-r-i-v-e-s.... Makes me think I should have picked up the digital copy instead. :roll:
Do what I did and buy both! (I even bought both the App versions of the rules AND the ePUBs, so I'm a glutton for punishment.)
Oh, I'm sure I will eventually. This month it's Goblins and DZ2 though, and I'm saving some cash for when SW and Skaven pack come out.

What's the difference between the App rules and the ePUB rules? I don't see DZ2 in the app yet, but that's probably the way I would go.

JT-Y
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Post by JT-Y »

App rules are a simple pdf, whereas epub is for Kindle, Apple reader, that sort of thing.

"It´s better to enlarge the game than to restrict the players." -- Erick Wujcik
Milo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Milo »

faust_33 wrote: What's the difference between the App rules and the ePUB rules? I don't see DZ2 in the app yet, but that's probably the way I would go.
Personally, I like to use iBooks to read my rulebooks, because I can create a shelf in iBooks specifically for Blood Bowl, and have other PDFs I've downloaded (Teams of Legend, Special Card Variant rules, etc.) in one spot.

Milo

Moraiwe
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Moraiwe »

JT-Y wrote:App rules are a simple pdf, whereas epub is for Kindle, Apple reader, that sort of thing.
Just checking... if you can get a 'simple PDF' with the app, does that mean I don't need the App to read it?

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

JT-Y wrote:It was inspired by wanting to better reflect the original Mongrel Horde.
Original Mongrel Horde being a picture (as linked below).

At this time (that being late 80s). Warhammer wasn't the well defined, oiled machine it is today (ok it's dead today but you get my point). Figures lines were random and up until 1989 mixed race armies were promoted (please buy all our figures we have available and make the best out of it).

So Dark Elves, Goblins and Orcs could all be outright Chaotic, rather than their own brand of chaotic/evil. Hence the late 80s Mongrel Horde referencing.

All that said, I welcome late 80s teams being made into rosters. It adds to the variance without adding new broken races.

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

Yea, Darkson had linked this site in a post awhile ago. I've been looking through it and it's been a really nice reference for me since I wasn't around for BB1,2,3. I found some of the race combinations on the early teams to be pretty interesting.

Black Widows: Skeletons, Mummies, Trolls (in Pink/Black team colors, no less!)
Blood Axes: Human/Dwarf
Dark Mountain Spiders: Giant Spiders?! Who knew arachnids were interested in BB?!
Evil Gits: Goblins/Humans
Grim Reapers: Goblin/Skaven/Minotaur
Harlequins: Human/Elf/Halfling (I imagine that could be a cool theme looking team)
Storm Bolts: Orc/Skaven/Dark
War Hawks: Orc/Snotling/Ogre

Seems like there was a huge amount of variety in the past. Not sure, but I probably prefer the more unified teams from later rules. It's cool that the Chaos Renegades team allows you to mimic most of the old teams though. Maybe they should make a 'Protectors of Law' team for the Humans, Elves, Halflings, and Dwarves?

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

faust_33 wrote:Yea, Darkson had linked this site in a post awhile ago. I've been looking through it and it's been a really nice reference for me since I wasn't around for BB1,2,3. I found some of the race combinations on the early teams to be pretty interesting.

Black Widows: Skeletons, Mummies, Trolls (in Pink/Black team colors, no less!)
Blood Axes: Human/Dwarf
Dark Mountain Spiders: Giant Spiders?! Who knew arachnids were interested in BB?!
Evil Gits: Goblins/Humans
Grim Reapers: Goblin/Skaven/Minotaur
Harlequins: Human/Elf/Halfling (I imagine that could be a cool theme looking team)
Storm Bolts: Orc/Skaven/Dark
War Hawks: Orc/Snotling/Ogre

Seems like there was a huge amount of variety in the past. Not sure, but I probably prefer the more unified teams from later rules. It's cool that the Chaos Renegades team allows you to mimic most of the old teams though. Maybe they should make a 'Protectors of Law' team for the Humans, Elves, Halflings, and Dwarves?
I don't think it was how you imagined. Was there even a 1st ed roster for Dark Mountain Spiders............I don't remember it.

Most of what you have listed here were Dungeonbowl teams. This was a supplementary box and meant to play against each other only.

Teams like the Underworld Creepers, Mongrel Horde, Evil Gits (which were Goblins only in 2nd ed) and Chaos Allstars never had rules. They had fluff pieces only. Back then fluff was supposed to inspire you to try your own things.

1st edition was a little different, but this was pretty experimental. What you did have very late on in 2nd edition was Mixed Race rosters. There were 2 ways to make mixed race rosters. 1. was to simply buy from the races available. 2. Was to use the random tables (which is pretty much how the official GW league of 1989-1991 did it (if you wanted mixed race). They weren't that popular to be honest. There was also animosity to deal with.

4th edition (I think) for a limited time had 'Pact' rosters. Chaos, Good and Lustrian...........these I think survived into the first LRB I believe.

There is a team called 'Heroes of Law'. These are good mixed race that are too nice to play BB. I play them with the handicap of 'no damage' skills or fouling. So no DP or MB as they're far too nice. It works ok.

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

Thanks harvestmouse. I haven't played Dungeonbowl, so I don't know too much about it. The Giant Spiders would make more sense for that game. It says they first appeared in "Comp". Could have been just fluff though.

I can imagine why the random table for Mixed Race rosters got dropped, as those sorts of things are prone to abuse.

I remember hearing the Heroes of Law get mentioned. I like your version of them dropping 'damage' skills and fouling. What's the composition of your team?

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

Well for me, if you're playing a league format that is big enough, there's no need for tiers. Divisions sort that out for you (unless you want to handicap each tier). What I would like to see is more sub rosters (like these) and more tiers. So famous teams and mixed race teams could form a 'super tier'. In my opinion, the more tiers/the easier to balance as you then could make a competition for say tier 2 and 3 only. Giving more balance....or as I hinted handicapping better tiered teams.

For me Heroes of law should have more humans than anything else, so a personal rule is that humans must be the majority race. Also if you wanted blitzers you must abide by the racial restrictions. For example if you wanted Elven blitzers, you can only take 2. If you wanted human blitzers, then you could take 4. If you took 1 Elven blitzer, you could then take 2 human blitzers.

Dwarfs blockers I consider a 'semi' positional. In that they're half linos/half blockers. The team restriction is 0-4 blitzers 0-2 throwers 0-4 catchers/blockers.

So I could take 2 elven catchers and 4 Dwarf Blockers, 4 human catchers, 8 Dwarf Blockers (for example).

Lastly all players must be good, not neutral (Zons or Norse for example)

My current line up is 1 pro Elf thrower, 3 Dwarf Blockers, 2 Human Blitzers, 1 Wardancer, 1 Wood Elf Line, 1 Pro Elf Line, 4 Human line, 1 Pro Elf Catcher and 2 JM (I JM to 16).