NAF Sanctioning at events with none NAF registered coaches

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Darkson
Da Spammer

Re: NAF Sanctioning at events with none NAF registered coach

Post by Darkson »

If a new player doesn't want to join the NAF then that's up to them. Often if it's their first event (or first NAF sanctioned one) they may be a bit overwhelmed by people going on about rankings and things - let them see the advantages of joining, the gifts, the discounts at many events - if they get the tournament​ bug then they'll eventually see the plus points on joining.

A club local to me ran a BB event a couple of years ago. I spoke to them about getting it ranked and they said they were concerned about "people taking it too serious" because of rankings (a problem they'd had with another system) - I can only imagine they'd be nodding their heads saying that was a good thing if they saw you arguing so hard for ranking all players.

And you're missing the fact that I, as a NAF member since 2003, or you, or Sann, or Joe Bloggs who signed up yesterday, can choose not to have my games ranked - are you trying to force me to have them ranked against my will?

Reason: ''
Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Yeah. Im trying to get the NAF to be better so people dont want to sign up just for the rankings. And i think your still missing the point, if the only point of joining is the rankings and your not interested in that then whats the point in it. Anyway i think this is just going around in circles.

Ok i got a quick idea.

Devisions, like non naf ranked, ranked.

Or what about this. Keep the current rankings which go on and on and on and...

Then every year, a little like the Golden Gauntlet or Blitzmania. We have a seperate table which coaches can collect points for Globally :o then give away ptizes at the NAFC for most casulties top ranked player etc etc... NAFC could be first event of the season.

5 games minimum then devide points by games to get results. Something like that. Just brain storming.

Reason being it would reset every year and give us things to play for.

This woukd be fun i think. It would be global, NAF ranked. Needs more thought.

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

frogboy wrote:And i think your still missing the point, if the only point of joining is the rankings and your not interested in that then whats the point in it.
Someone is missing the point, and it isn't me:
Darkson wrote:let them see the advantages of joining, the gifts, the discounts at many events - if they get the tournament​ bug then they'll eventually see the plus points on joining.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Wulfyn
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wulfyn »

Except you have absolutely zero evidence of that Darkson, and in particular not to the point frogboy is making with regard to the people he played. I was at the Long Bomb Brawl with him and recognised many of those players he is talking about as they are members of the HATE (Hackney Area Tabletop Enthusiasts) club. They've been playing blood bowl for just as long as the rest of us and even a couple of years before GW announced the re-release they had a league with 36 players in it (called Stenchbrew). A great bunch of guys, and their commissioner Daniel has run it well for many years now.

Sure it was those players' first NAF sanctioned tournament, but it is not like these guys are out in the wilderness and just picked up the game for the first time since they were kids. They know what they like and what they don't like. I expect that they play far more games than either you or I do. They love Blood Bowl, were super fun to be around (one of them won most sporting by a long way), and - here's the kicker - are completely uninterested in all that rankings bollox (as frogboy put it). They are not interested in joining the NAF because it does nothing for them. They are not interested in paying £5 for two 'free' dice and a 'free' metal thing (be it a mini someone casted of their mate or a token). They are not interested in discounted events (which are generally only discounted for NAF members because the £5 differential is the fee for signing them up to the NAF). They are interested in doing more tournaments but just as a way to play more blood bowl and not as a way to take it seriously.

So you can argue with frogboy all you like but he's spot on here with regard to those people he played. It is their opinion he is relaying to you, not his own. That's the point you are missing.

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

"Ooooh, that was a big hit! Do you think someone can survive such a Mighty Blow Bob?"

"I dont know Jim, that one has a Thick Skull"

Lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
straume
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by straume »

I would assume that many players join for the dice and shiny stuff, but ofc this is not enough to draw all in.

A generic 150 ranked opposition for non NAF seems to be a good idea.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Oh yeah, I wrote this a while back: https://www.thenaf.net/2015/12/why-join-the-naf/

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

frogboy wrote:Then every year, a little like the Golden Gauntlet or Blitzmania. We have a seperate table which coaches can collect points for Globally :o then give away ptizes at the NAFC for most casulties top ranked player etc etc... NAFC could be first event of the season.

5 games minimum then devide points by games to get results. Something like that. Just brain storming.

Reason being it would reset every year and give us things to play for.

This woukd be fun i think. It would be global, NAF ranked. Needs more thought.
Cool. Going to run it?

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

sann0638 wrote:Oh yeah, I wrote this a while back: https://www.thenaf.net/2015/12/why-join-the-naf/
This is exactly what I'm talking about *face to palm*
sann0638 wrote:
frogboy wrote: This would be fun i think. It would be global, NAF ranked. Needs more thought.
Cool. Going to run it?
What after the opposition and negitive vibes I got from just suggesting something new. No thanks.

Now look at point 5 in the link you provided...
"and if any member has a good idea, there is a resource available which could make it possible..."

Bakunin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Bakunin »

It would be awesome, if you got a trophy on your ranking site, every time you are number 1, win stunty, get most cas/TDs.

Maybe let the TOs get the option to click these things in. Or spend some of all the gold the NAF has, to improve the Score program.

Speaking of 'Score', was there a update coming for it - in relations with the World Cup 3? Where is that update or new program?

Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

I don't understand Mr Frog, I really don't. The point is that if you have a good idea the NAF can help to make it work. An example being the 24 patches - someone made those off their own back, distributed the first lot, then the NAF helped to distribute the rest.

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Bakunin wrote:It would be awesome, if you got a trophy on your ranking site, every time you are number 1, win stunty, get most cas/TDs.

Maybe let the TOs get the option to click these things in. Or spend some of all the gold the NAF has, to improve the Score program.

Speaking of 'Score', was there a update coming for it - in relations with the World Cup 3? Where is that update or new program?
Aww positivity. There is light at the end of the tunnel...

I would have suggested running campigns like FUMBBL do or something completely radical like going without new NAF gifts for a year, saving the money from membership and give out excisting 'old stock' gifts to make an actual change. But then the sky would probaly fall down.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Bakunin wrote:It would be awesome, if you got a trophy on your ranking site, every time you are number 1, win stunty, get most cas/TDs.

Line 1 - yes it's being looked at.
Line 2 and 3 - yes, but it didn't go anywhere commercially, unfortunately. For the WC I used Score with Excel back up, and for Eurobowl an Excel programme that I wrote. For 95% of tournaments Score does the job perfectly well. When we looked into these things the cost for getting it done professionally is very high, which is why they are done by enthusiasts (like me, who spent about 50 hours developing ExScore, and about the same sorting the solution for the World Cup, with help from HairyPete).

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

frogboy wrote: I would have suggested running campigns like FUMBBL do or something completely radical like going without new NAF gifts for a year, saving the money from membership and give out excisting 'old stock' gifts to make an actual change. But then the sky would probaly fall down.
These have been discussed. But the argument (not mine, it's a committee) is that if people want to join the NAF, then great, and the link I wrote tries to explain why they should. We should not be going down on our knees to get them to do so, basically. We are not a commercial organisation who will fold if people don't join, just a bunch of individuals doing good for the hobby.

Suggesting ideas is fine. Getting involved is fine. Criticising those who give loads of time, energy and money is less fine.

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

sann0638 wrote:I don't understand Mr Frog, I really don't. The point is that if you have a good idea the NAF can help to make it work. An example being the 24 patches - someone made those off their own back, distributed the first lot, then the NAF helped to distribute the rest.
Ok but if we cant get past the first hurdle whats the point.

I'm not a website designer, but i might have ideas to help fund one. I just asking is it something people are interested in or even want. But when every idea is shot down in flames its not surprising that the website is still in the Dark Ages.