alternate Block dice

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Khar-peth
Veteran
Veteran

alternate Block dice

Post by Khar-peth »

Something Im gonna suggest to my league for "exhibition games"
When blocking you can choose to use a Block die with alternate results :
-keep your usual POW, SKULL and one PUSH only
-add these results to the die :
Grappled both players stand still but lose their TZ until the end of the turn
Feint the attacker may move one square in any direction. this move is free and ignore tacklezones as with any follow up
Counterpush attacking player is pushed back one square, defender may follow-up

it makes for a "less risk, less reward" block action.

obviously this more "finesse" die would change the balance of the game between agile teams and strength teams, however id like feedback on potential gamebreaking loopholes. Also should it be allowed to mix regular blocking dice and alternate dice ?

now to find good symbols for those results...

Reason: ''
Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Re: alternate Block dice

Post by Pedda »

Am I correct in seeing that the only way to get the ball from a ball carrier would be on a pow?

The skills block, wrestle and to some extent dodge and strip ball would be less useful as well.

Khar-peth
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Khar-peth »

Pedda wrote:Am I correct in seeing that the only way to get the ball from a ball carrier would be on a pow?
yes
it wasnt clear but the alternate die would not replace the classic but could be used instead of it (or maybe mixed with on 2 or 3 dice blocks ?)
Pedda wrote: The skills block, wrestle and to some extent dodge and strip ball would be less useful as well.
and tackle.
this is part of the intent, yes

bruce888
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bruce888 »

I like it

Afroman
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Afroman »

I like the idea of using different dices for the block action. I would like to play test that.

Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

Not sure I necessarily agree 'less risk' - for the team on offence the aim is to protect the ball - on a standard dice generally (I understand the exceptions but generally) if a player has block the only way they leave a gap is a skull. With your proposal Skull, Grapple and very possibly counter push would leave a gap. That means most of the time in a competitive environment (which I treat most games as) even if I have a two dice block on offence and I want to be sure I don't leave a gap I'm not going to touch your new dice.

That said, I generally like the idea and the extra nuisances it could bring.

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.
Khar-peth
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Khar-peth »

Loki wrote:With your proposal Skull, Grapple and very possibly counter push would leave a gap.
Grapple wouldnt leave a gap as TZ disappear only til the end of the turn.

So far, I tested these alternate dice in 3 low TV games, ruling you could use them instead of regular dice, not mixing them.
To be honest, they were mostly used in certain situations but definitely proved useful in the 3rd game, Feint allowing the ball carrier to score a winning TD. My opponent said it could be "game-breaking" which I find a bit excessive.
Anyway, that felt like a refreshing addition to our beloved game.