Monthly Poll: Illegal Procedure

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Monthly Poll: Do you use the Illegal Procedure rule?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:08 am

Yes, all the time.
10%
Sometimes or only when it's enforced.
11%
No, not at all.
79%

Total votes: 73

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Monthly Poll: Illegal Procedure

Post by faust_33 »

In last month's poll we learned Grashnak Blackhoof really should have hooves or at least put some shoes on those toes!

This month we get to know how many people use the "Illegal Procedure" rule. If a coach catches another coach moving their pieces before moving their turn marker, they can call "illegal procedure"! The other coach must either forfeit a reroll or suffer a turnover. If they have no rerolls left, the opposing coach can gain a reroll.

Reason: ''
Darkson
Da Spammer

Re: Monthly Poll: Illegal Procedure

Post by Darkson »

Nope. Nope, nope, nope.
I don't think I've ever been to a tournament where it was enforced - even the old GW ones it was supposed to be used but most people didn't.

I've outlawed it at my event, and many events only use it if both coaches want to - if one doesn't then it's not used.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
stashman
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by stashman »

No! Its a low low way to go for winning a game!

Axtklinge
Legend
Legend

Post by Axtklinge »

No, never done it and never seen it being done.
Whenever the situation occurs, we just politely point out to the opponent that he forgot to move the turn marker, and that's about it.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

+1 to what Darkson said.

Just politely move their turn counter if they forgot.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Vanguard »

Don't use it now, don't use it in my league and never seen it enforced at a Tournament. That said, I did use it when I originally learned to play the game and I suspect it helped hammer home the need to track my turns as I was very bad at forgetting to move the counter.

WeeManBiggins
Experienced
Experienced

Post by WeeManBiggins »

Not played at all in our league. We do however allow it if both coaches wish to play it but we have never had that situation.

HDWSBBL Commissioner
besters

Post by besters »

Darkson wrote:Nope. Nope, nope, nope.
I don't think I've ever been to a tournament where it was enforced - even the old GW ones it was supposed to be used but most people didn't.

I've outlawed it at my event, and many events only use it if both coaches want to - if one doesn't then it's not used.

I also agree with this, although I did get once called for IP at a GW tournament, a smaller event, not in Nottingham!

hutchinsfairy
Experienced
Experienced

Post by hutchinsfairy »

We used to play with it when we first played 3rd Ed as teenagers and were therefore generally obnoxious people.

I still enjoy shouting it at people but I would never take a re-roll/turnover for it. Not least because I'm not always playing Blood Bowl at the time...

CyberedElf
Veteran
Veteran

Post by CyberedElf »

I've been to one tournament that used illegal procedure in the last year. Most of the players did not enforce it. It was run by newcomers to the BB scene and not NAF related.

mikeyc222
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mikeyc222 »

If I remind you 3 or 4 times during a game, no worries. If I have to remind you every turn, I might go ahead and call it. You'll get plenty of warning before I do, though.

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

I updated the second option to 'Sometimes or if it is enforced'. It doesn't sound like anyone will change their vote, but you are free to modify at any time.

We learned the game, the hard way and Illegal Procedure was brutally enforced. Until recently, I didn't realize that the rest of the world doesn't play that way.

Funny story, when Cyanide's Blood Bowl game first came out, I actually wondered why there was no mechanic to move your turn marker at the beginning of each drive.

In tabletop it's a real pain if someone forgets to move their turn marker. We've had a couple games where that happened and we had to puzzle through what turn we were actually on.

When starting off a game with a new person, we gently remind them through the first half. After that, they might get docked.

After suffering a turnover in the middle of a play in my first game, I quickly became scared to death of forgetting to move the turn marker. Sometimes placing a reminder token nearby or in my hand, just to make sure.

Yes, it's a brutal rule, but it's also ingrained in the way we first started playing. We used the rule in the last league I ran, but coaches would often warn each other if they forgot.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

faust_33 wrote: After suffering a turnover in the middle of a play in my first game, I quickly became scared to death of forgetting to move the turn marker. Sometimes placing a reminder token nearby or in my hand, just to make sure.
For not moving your turn marker? Out of date; just give up a reroll and if you dont have one your opponent gets one.
Both CRP/Icepelt and BB2016 say the same thing
bb.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

We started with 3rd edition. I believe the rule is the same there as well? I think we just forgot that if you used up all your rerolls, your opponent could gain one instead.

It's a painful rule, and something I would likely give up if I get around to starting another league. It's hard enough to get new people to play a boardgame instead of a video game. Let alone one that is going to kick you in the junk when you make a dumb mistake.

It reminds me of the old times, when computer (and arcade) games used to be really tough on you. No auto-mapping. No save points and perma death. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they had created a computer game that erased it's own disks and made you repurchase the game after you died. It's amazing that people kept playing those things.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I think the last time I used the IP rule was a GW BBGT many years ago. Didn't know my opponent, and asked him if he wanted to play the IP rule, as I said I didn't usually as it was a stupid rule. He said he did. First 3 turns he forgot and I reminded him. My 4th turn I forgot, and he called me. After that I called it - I think 4 or 5 times during the rest of the game. He then marked me down on sportsmanship for "being a dick". :roll:

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.