Android/iOS alt to Score!

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Android/iOS alt to Score!

Post by lunchmoney »

As a TO I use Score! I'm sure most TOs (at least the ones in the UK) also use it. We all drag a laptop around with us to do so.
With more and more people using non Windows tablets is anyone up for writing an app that does the job of Score! on Android and iOS?
We could use it to write tournament software from the ground up and have it link into the NAF site directly (maybe to fetch NAF names from numbers or numbers from names, to upload results directly, etc).

I will start by saying I'm not capable of writing this sort of thing. I'm sure someone has the skill and knowledge?

Does one exist already?

Reason: ''
Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Android/iOS alt to Score!

Post by Vanguard »

I've toyed with the idea of a web based solution, so usable from any device with a browser. It has the advantage of being more portable and accessible from a wider variety of devices. The downside being the requirement for an internet connection for the TO. Also, server outages. :|

stowelly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stowelly »

Vanguard wrote:I've toyed with the idea of a web based solution, so usable from any device with a browser. It has the advantage of being more portable and accessible from a wider variety of devices. The downside being the requirement for an internet connection for the TO. Also, server outages. :|
if you make it use local storage it can just be an html file with all the javascript embedded so wouldnt necessarily need to have a server requirement.

stowelly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stowelly »

If this is something there really is a massive need for i might be persuaded to have a go. not being familiar with score or its downfalls etc I would need a detailed spec and some test input data and expected output data to be able to verify it works correctly!

haychdee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by haychdee »

Vanguard wrote:I've toyed with the idea of a web based solution, so usable from any device with a browser. It has the advantage of being more portable and accessible from a wider variety of devices. The downside being the requirement for an internet connection for the TO. Also, server outages. :|
I've been playing Malifaux at tournaments for the last few years and one of our TO's created a browser based bit of software just as you've described.

It's linked to the UK rankings so it's just a case of clicking on their name and adding them into the event. Post tourney it simply updates on the rankings as well. It eliminates the human error aspect of spelling names wrong or bad data entry.

You can program in all the data for each round and it'll randomise round 1 draws and then automatically pairs people up in swiss format for the remaining rounds. Includes an on screen game timer as well so everyone can see the time clearly (if a screen is available).

It does require an internet connection but I've found most places have wifi and failing that you can tether your phone, it's not exactly heavy on the data usage.

And you can also follow events live if you so desire. The scoreboards and pairings auto update as the results are entered so you can check how your buddy or teammates are doing if you're not able to make the event.

It's not used by every TO but the majority have moved to it now. Definitely been a well received tool for the Malifaux community, I'm sure something similar would be successful with BB.

You can check it out here http://www.bag-o-tools.com/

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

That sounds really good.

My original request was to do away with the need for a laptop, though, hence the call out for an app writer.

Is there no feeling for an app over a browser script?

lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Vanguard »

haychdee wrote:...stuff about maulifax...
You can check it out here http://www.bag-o-tools.com/
Yeah, that's pretty much exactly how I'd picture it. I will take a closer look when I get a chance.
lunchmoney wrote: That sounds really good.
My original request was to do away with the need for a laptop, though, hence the call out for an app writer.
Is there no feeling for an app over a browser script?
A good web based solution would support mobile platforms and be usable from a phone/tablet/laptop equally. In fact, it would allow the option to do data entry pre-tournament from a laptop, where a keyboard makes it easier) and run the event from a phone/tablet on the day.

For me, the issue with app development is supporting two platforms (Android and iOS) or excluding half the community. Apps are also more likely to need ongoing maintenance as platforms update (look at the current swathe of Apps being disabled on Apple as they drop support for 32 bit apps) while web based solutions are more stable.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Good argument for web based stuff.

Is this something you are skilled in? I lack that as well :)

lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

kyrre
Experienced
Experienced

Post by kyrre »

Does the NAF have a test server where one could possibly mess about with creating tournaments and matches?

Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Vanguard »

lunchmoney wrote:Good argument for web based stuff.
Is this something you are skilled in? I lack that as well :)
Skilled is probably stretching it, I dabble. :wink:

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

kyrre wrote:Does the NAF have a test server where one could possibly mess about with creating tournaments and matches?
I will bring this thread to the NAFs attention and we can find out :)

lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

Kafre es Ispurio
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Kafre es Ispurio »

This very same question has been raised in the Spanish forum.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

lunchmoney wrote: I will bring this thread to the NAFs attention and we can find out :)
I have done so again; one of two peeps here may get a poke from the NAF...

lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

hutchinsfairy
Experienced
Experienced

Post by hutchinsfairy »

haychdee wrote:And you can also follow events live if you so desire. The scoreboards and pairings auto update as the results are entered so you can check how your buddy or teammates are doing if you're not able to make the event.
This could also players at the event find their next opponent.

gjnoronh
Experienced
Experienced

Post by gjnoronh »

For Warhammer WFB/AoS tournaments I use Warscore which has the advantage of being able to push pairings out to players via email or via web page they can log into. Helpful for larger events. Also nice as you can publish results that way. It's also pretty easily customizable and it's free. I find it easier generally to use then SCORE but it's not built for Blood Bowl It's based off a local download to a laptop like Score however.
http://warscore.net/

It's pretty easy to adjust templates for various systems.
http://warscore.net/templates/index.html

For Warhammer 40K there is a tablet (iOS or Android) based application that some of my colleagues like quite a bit. Pushes data into the ITC ranking system. Very easy for players to enter their round results by having a couple of ipads logged in as data entry points.

https://www.bestcoastpairings.com/

Might be easier to modify existing tools then to build from the ground up.