Underworld troll 6+6

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Underworld troll 6+6

Post by Digger Goreman »

Underworld Lrb6

Is a St6, claw troll better than a claw, block troll? Why?

Thanks for the insights :)

DG

Reason: ''
LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
ramchop
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Underworld troll 6+6

Post by ramchop »

next skill tentacles (or block)

birdman37
Experienced
Experienced

Post by birdman37 »

Given he already has Claw, I'll assume he's being used as an offensive can opener. So...

2 dice block with Block catastrophically fails 1:36, and with ST5 can be performed without assists the vast majority of the time. Also works against ST4 victims. Also, your chances of a scoring a knockdown on non-Block line-fodder skyrocket to 3:4.

3 dice block without Block catastrophically fails 1:27, and with ST6 generally still requires 1 assist to set up. Without assist (or against ST4+ victims), odds of failure jump up to 1:9.

That being said, a ST6 troll is undeniably awesome, and has a leg-up when facing off against other Big Guys. Finally, do not think for a second that Nuffle will fail to notice you rejecting his most precious and rare of gifts.

So, how risk averse are you? :)

Rolex
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Rolex »

A ST6 troll is better with tentacles, and is much harder for the opponent to block.

Anyway it raises your TV making less likely to be able to get Star Players.... And star players are gold for UW.

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

birdman37 wrote:Given he already has Claw, I'll assume he's being used as an offensive can opener. So...
So, how risk averse are you? :)
Very, as my dice seem to hate me with a nuffling vengeance!

I fancy a claw, block, pro (needing yet another double)

If I forego block now, may never get there....

Unfortunately the same can be said for +St....

Omalley69
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Omalley69 »

S6 + Tentacles ...the dream :lol:

When life knocks you down, fouling is emminent!

Dont feel titchy, throw that feeling away!

Ullis
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Ullis »

I'd take Block. The troll in an Underworld team needs to be much more than simply a roadblock and someone to put on the LOS. If you take Block, you can much more easily lead turns with blocking with the troll instead of leaving it until the last action in case of failure. You will also need the troll to deal with higher strength players, in which case Block is much better.

I'd choose Block for Goblin team trolls as well but for Orc teams I'd take +ST.

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend

Post by Digger Goreman »

Grudgingly took St6....

The team, after 11 games:

Dante's Infernals (Underworld)
01 Goblin 2H (niggle) 13spp
02 Goblin 2H 11spp
03 Goblin -Ag 2spp
04 Goblin
05 Goblin 5spp
06 Goblin 5spp
08 Goblin 3spp
09 Goblin
10 Thrower -Av Block, HMP 20spp
11 Thrower
12 Blitzer Dodge, MiB 24spp
13 Blitzer 2spp
14 Line Dodge 10spp
15 Line Kick 10spp
16 Troll Claw, +St 19spp
TV 142
3rr
1ac
1cl
1apoth
20k treasury

Whaddaya think? I'm planning a passing attack, giving the 2Headers diving catch. 2Hs for the two boderline gobbos (as replacements) and to the dodging lineman. The troll gets tents.... I want him to be a grab 'em, hold 'em, wrecking ball.... Prehensile tail if he gets that far? Dump off for the new thrower....

Critiques and suggestions?

sirsebstar
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by sirsebstar »

Tentacles after the st6 makes sense. Guard more than grab. Sure you dont want to get rid of them, but an st6 guard tent with a guard assist next to it can hold several with near impunity.
Next double, id still go for block but i like maxing blocks and doing so risk averse with block...

Let us know how your team fares

kyrre
Experienced
Experienced

Post by kyrre »

Digger Goreman wrote:Grudgingly took St6....
giving the 2Headers diving catch. 2Hs for the two boderline gobbos (as replacements) and to the dodging lineman.
Critiques and suggestions?
Isn't extra arm more useful than diving catch?

Both give +1 for catching accurate passes. Diving catch has the 4+ or worse possibility of catching adjacent passes, which can be used to counter animosity or inaccurate passes. However, extra arm provides +1 on hand off, pass catch, bounce catch, interception and picking up the ball. The last one combining well with two headed stunty dodging to pick up a loose ball behind the opposition lines. Extra arm is also useful in combination with two head when you go for a 1 turn goblin throw touchdown on both offense and defense.

If you are worried about animosity, I would suggest training a linerat or thrower to become a catcher with extra arm instead of depending on diving catch. Pro _could_ also be used to counter animosity late in your thrower's development.

I would love to hear the counter-arguments. I go two heads -> extra arm for my renegade goblin. Would you take diving catch? Keep in mind that diving catch giving +1 when catching hand-offs is an electronic Blood Bowl 2 thing.

kyrre
Experienced
Experienced

Post by kyrre »

sirsebstar wrote:Tentacles after the st6 makes sense. Guard more than grab.
Let us know how your team fares
I think guard is better than grab for a troll. With really stupid, a turn where you do not activate the troll and use his tackle zone to guard assist teammates instead is a good turn in my book. I would also take tentacles first, it is another skill that works passively. Grab keep players in the grasp of his tentacles, so it could be considered before guard on 3. That passive troll strategy is kind of going out the window when he brings 200+ TV to the team.

sirsebstar
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by sirsebstar »

@kyrre i am not sure i followed your msg correctly.
Anyways. Grab and guard are both useless when there is no tacklezone(due to really stupid), so is tentacles for that matter.

in fact grab is basicly useless unless you are truly surrounded by players. and if you make a block, with a troll you can always follow up(or not) if so remember that 4 players still have a 1 die hit on the troll so just a push is enough to make the tentacles and grab useless.
now that brings stand firm to mind.
stand firm is a legitimate skill choice on a tentacles st 6 player!

i use my troll with guard to help out other guard players, but in the above progression i think it might be wiser to take stand firm over guard so ill let that rest.
ST6, Tentacles, Stand firm, Disturbing presence? break tackle, for an 3+ dodge into a 3 player cage (hold the ball firmly in place, or the cage support from moving)

kyrre
Experienced
Experienced

Post by kyrre »

sirsebstar wrote:@kyrre i am not sure i followed your msg correctly.
Anyways. Grab and guard are both useless when there is no tacklezone(due to really stupid), so is tentacles for that matter.
The main point was that guard, like tentacles work passively. If you do not activate your non-stupid troll, he will keep providing tentacles and guard without any risk. Like you say stand firm will also improve tentacles and is a great option.

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend

Post by Digger Goreman »

I will reconsider on the multiple arms and stand firm.... I do have a BoN with Stand Firm and Guard who plays well for Nurgle... so, maybe.... :)