Monthly Poll: Circle or Square bases?

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Do you have a preference for Circle or Square bases on Blood Bowl minis?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:04 pm

Circle
74%
Square
3%
Both
15%
Other
8%

Total votes: 61

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Monthly Poll: Circle or Square bases?

Post by faust_33 »

Last month we had a debate over Zombies and Skeletons. The majority seem to like a little of both.

This month is miniature bases, circles, squares, both, or other.

Reason: ''
Stout Youngblood
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Monthly Poll: Circle or Square bases?

Post by Stout Youngblood »

Although I overwhelmingly approve circle bases, I placed my snotlings on 20mm square bases since they would roll around when I had them on round bases. Also, I don't mind if my opponent uses square bases for his players.

I have often wondered why GW uses round bases for a game that has always had squares.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Really don't care, so voted "both" (or should that be "other").

Do prefer square bases if I'm playing someone that gets stressed by them though - if they're stressing about that they're not paying as much attention to the game, and I need all the help I can get. ;)

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

I use both options but I actually prefer square bases.

Miniatures do not roll when knocked down and since I turn my minis 180° when I used them that turn, it's always clear where they are facing.
Also, the game has squares, so it hust looks more fitting.

Moraiwe
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Moraiwe »

Round bases roll when prone/stunned. Square bases knock everything around them when you spin them to denote having done an action this turn (unless they are much smaller than the board). So the ultimate solution would be:

Round bases with flattened front and back.
Something like this:
example.png
Those flattened ends would look good for player numbers too.

Yeah... I just use round bases.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

I use round bases, mostly because "that's what the models come with" and for aesthetic reasons.

My snotlings are on 15mm round bases. Snotlings hitting the ground but needing to be shown with armor unbroken is ... not often an issue ;)

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

Moraiwe wrote:Round bases roll when prone/stunned. Square bases knock everything around them when you spin them to denote having done an action this turn (unless they are much smaller than the board). So the ultimate solution would be:

Round bases with flattened front and back.
Something like this:
example.png
Those flattened ends would look good for player numbers too.

Yeah... I just use round bases.
Interesting, I've started using MDF circles, it would take very little extra effort with a jigsaw to make that shape. Might have to do some experimentation :)

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Round bases as they what they came with and I'm not buying new bases :)

However I once had a league player (fishfingers) who used hexagon bases. He would also glue small magnets on the inside of each edge and then created little skill labels, also with little magnets, that he would stick to the base of each player with a skill. Genius. If I were to go about rebasing all my teams I would do this.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

lunchmoney wrote:Round bases as they what they came with and I'm not buying new bases :)

However I once had a league player (fishfingers) who used hexagon bases. He would also glue small magnets on the inside of each edge and then created little skill labels, also with little magnets, that he would stick to the base of each player with a skill. Genius. If I were to go about rebasing all my teams I would do this.
You can also do that with square bases, just can't do it for more than 4 skills (easily) :wink: :lol:

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

He was optimistic :)

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

A leaguemate of mine bought these magnetic skill marker bases:

As you can see, it's a shallow hexagon base which fits a 25mm round base inside.
It's a great idea but there were some practical drawbacks:
- First and most obviously, magnets attract other magnets. So if you're not careful, the bases stick together, making it very easy to accidentally move figures.
- Second, you can't see every side at once. Not a problem if you just have one or two skills, you can put it on two sides. But more than that is problematic, and if you have to start turning figures around to see which of those Blitzers has Guard, it completely defeats the point of skill markers.
- The bases are loose, so if you pick up a figure, it comes out of the hexagon. Makes moving models irritating somewhat.
- Finally, you can't see it in those pictures, possibly intentionally, but each of those little skill plates is on a small neodymium magnet. So rather than being flush with the side of the hexagon, it's like a really short T. They easily hook into each other when moving bases, sometimes clipping them off or hilariously moving the skill to a different player.

I'm not saying don't buy them, it's still a great, unique way to show multiple skills, a chronic problem in advanced leagues. But I'm using the rubber bands and don't regret it.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

It's like you never read Lunchmoney's post. ;)

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

Darkson wrote:It's like you never read Lunchmoney's post. ;)
You're allowed to read them :o Is that not medically inadvisable, a bit like burnt toast?

kyrre
Experienced
Experienced

Post by kyrre »

I prefer round bases for the way they look. However, as someone else pointed out they may come with rolling issues.

For instance this guy, conveniently, has great difficulty staying stunned.

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

I've used both. I tend to make bases that reflect the environment that the team comes from. Well, what I think they would spawn from, as I don't know the Warhammer fluff. So, for Dwarves I originally put them on square bases, with the idea of them placing them on a stone dungeon-like floor. I actually never got around to finishing those, and it seems like I might be using circle bases for the new Dwarf team I've been working on now....so I might end up all circles.