Stat Caps

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

MadLordAnarchy
Legend
Legend

Stat Caps

Post by MadLordAnarchy »

Hi all,

My league is considering introducing a Stat Cap to stop one-turn scoring by overly fast players or impenetrable armour. Does anyone else have a cap, we are considering capping MA at 9 and AV at 10 as over that is ridiculous.

Reason: ''
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Av isn't an issue as you can't gain it. IIRC There used to be a cap on Av @10 anyway.

I never really found one turners a problem - and since its quite easy to score a 1 turner with MA9 (using secondary pushes) - there isn't much point having a cap.

If you find one turners a problem take kick, pass block & tackle. Also kick the hell out of them every chance you get.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
MadLordAnarchy
Legend
Legend

Post by MadLordAnarchy »

Secondary pushes?

There is no chance to give a one-turn scorer beats as they disappear off to the dugout when they are on defense.

If you can't gain AV does that mean that nobody uses the Helmet anymore? I admit I am a long way out of touch with the official rules as I found them and subsequent amendments to be unbalanced.

I am considering changing piling on though as I am afeared of a Mummy with Jump Up who is just a few points short of another skill and who's team won my 2003 season.

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Secondary pushes are when all the squares behind a player are occupied so you get to move another player. There have been some threads trying to explain the tactics.

You really ought to read the LRB - its the current official rules. Unless you say otherwise everyone is going to presume that the environment you are working in. Its all available free from http://www.bloodbowl.com

Cards have gone (so no magic helmet) and IMO a much better version of the rules (no more jump up mummies, fouling doesn't dominate the game).

One popular house rule is enforcing the must field 11. Given that most skaven & wood elf teams struggle to maintain full rosters (there is much less money) getting him onto the pitch isn't normally a problem.

MadLordAnarchy
Legend
Legend

Post by MadLordAnarchy »

Having read the LRB everything that I liked has already been incorporated into my league. Thanks for the pointer though none of the broken stuff I'm worried about is fixed by it and some things that are fine seem to have been fixed. Stat caps are coming to my league to preserve the balance that I have developed, now to read up on the piling on threads.

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Its one of the major problems for a heavily house ruled league like your own - any house rules inevitably effect game balance, so you end up with more house rules to try and rebalance it.

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Hi MadLord,
others have had quite big problems with 1-turners in the past.
Reducing max. MA to 9 will help with that.
Sure, 1-turning is still pussible (with secondary pushbacks), but every roll makes the score more likely to fail, so you will be getting effect from your rule.
Good luck with it :)
Martin :)

Check out a big article and thread on the subject here:
viewtopic.php?t=9687

MadLordAnarchy
Legend
Legend

Post by MadLordAnarchy »

Interesting article Plasmoid. Kind of mirrors the thinking that I have put before my league's rules committee. I am surprised that nobody thought of an MA cap. It's hard to implement retrospectively but it seems to make perfect sense to me given the tactical implications of 1TS.

Kind of in response to Plasmoid's article, this is why I want to make 1TS much more difficult. Offense in BB is a balance of risks. Risk 1 is to send out a small (maybe one player) group of fast (probably weak) players to grab a quick TD at the risk of having them knocked off by the defence. Risk 2 is to grind down the field with protection for the ball carriers at the risk of the defence slowing the offense to the point that they can't reach the endzone and providing many turns to sack the ball carrier. If there is a 1TS, neither strategy is viable as they are dominated by the no-risk strategy of running a quick all the way for a score without giving the defence a chance to stop it.

As a defence-orientated coach, I don't appreciate my tactical approach being blown away by not having the opportunity to sack the ball carrier. I could give my team a bunch of skills to help but my opponent could give his players a bunch of skills to make it even easier to 1TS.

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Since you appear to have made up your mind that you want a cap - IMO the best way to significantly reduce 1 turners is just to make Sprint a trait. That makes it much harder for WE catchers & Gutter Runners to get the necessary movement.

gken1
Legend
Legend

Post by gken1 »

[quote="ianwilliams"]Av isn't an issue as you can't gain it.[quote]
you still got spikes...but that won't let u get over AV10

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

gken1 wrote:
ianwilliams wrote:Av isn't an issue as you can't gain it.
you still got spikes...but that won't let u get over AV10
:oops: You are right of course.