How many of you have house-ruled the new WA?

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

gken1 wrote:yeah but I thought the way the original BBRC was to work was the rules come out in october get playtested until Jan/Feb the implemented fully into LRB.
I'll be honest ... I don't ever remember that being the set-up.

Meeting in October to discuss the rules ... release review in November (hopefully).

Propose experimental rules throughout the year to receive BB community feedback so that each October a change can be moved into one of the following 3 categories:
House Rule
Still Experimental
Official Rule Change

Clarifications may change minor rules in October without previous testing ... however major rules changes should if possible go through an experimental phase before being able to become official.

This has always been my understanding of the BBRC structure ... both before and after being a member.

Galak

Reason: ''
gken1
Legend
Legend

Post by gken1 »

I'm pretty sure I remembered it the way they originally put it out. It may have changed since then but oh well.

I don't understand why we have to live with a bad rule when a fix is out there. 1. the rule was never playtested.
2. it sucks!

Alesdair
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Alesdair »

We have house ruled WA as follows:

Wild Animal
The Wild Animal can be as much a blessing as a curse on the Bloodbowl field. The Wild Animal must act first or not at all. If doing any action other then Block, they must roll 4+ after they declare, but before they take the action. If they fail, then they stand and roar in rage. If a team-mate is in a square beside them they get +2 to the roll, (like Really Stupid).

So it's like Really Stupid with the following 4 differences.
They move first or not at all.
They get to block without negtrait roll.
They don't loose their TZ on failure.
They get to stand up if failing the roll while prone.

This puts it as less harmful then RS, but still more then bonehead.

Pass me another Elf, Captain. This one's split.
neoliminal
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by neoliminal »

gken1 wrote:I'm pretty sure I remembered it the way they originally put it out. It may have changed since then but oh well.

I don't understand why we have to live with a bad rule when a fix is out there. 1. the rule was never playtested.
2. it sucks!
You don't. House-rule it.

[b]NAF Founder[/b]
gken1
Legend
Legend

Post by gken1 »

yeah but that is easier said than done when the league plays "official LRB" rules.

I think the BBRC should suck up some pride and admit they made a mistake.

'Ed Basha'
Star Player
Star Player

Post by 'Ed Basha' »

house ruling is easy when you're the commish....convincing your league's commish to house rule something when you are probably the only one in the league who goes online and discusses these things can be harder.

I don't care, I don't like big guys in the game, and I don't use them, (hides the mummies in his undead team).

other than undies, I play orks, and If I can't beat you without the ogre, then I can't beat you with him. although a mini that big might help if I was to truly try to beat you with it.l

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
neoliminal

Post by neoliminal »

gken1 wrote:yeah but that is easier said than done when the league plays "official LRB" rules.

I think the BBRC should suck up some pride and admit they made a mistake.
It's got zero to do with pride and you should know better than to imply it does.

Changes get made once a year, because if they didn't then there would be a constant clamour for changes year round. Changes do not get made to suit individual leagues, that's what house rules are for.

[b]NAF Founder[/b]
gken1
Legend
Legend

Post by gken1 »

neoliminal wrote:
It's got zero to do with pride and you should know better than to imply it does.

Changes get made once a year, because if they didn't then there would be a constant clamour for changes year round. Changes do not get made to suit individual leagues, that's what house rules are for.
You guys made a mistake by implementing a rule with zero testing and after playing with it and alot of players oppinions it sucks.

This isn't about a single leagues rule. I don't even intend to play with wild animals anymore and many coaches in my league are planning on getting rid of their wild animals. So with everyone getting rid of wild animals it won't even affect my league anymore. The BBRC screwed this rule up.

Using the once a year excuse for a rule that you have just changed is a bullcrap excuse. the rule worked fine before except people didn't like wild animal traps. I think the BBRC should learn their lesson about changing rules with zero playtesting.

gken1
Legend
Legend

Post by gken1 »

also if the rule worked it wouldn't need to be house ruled!!!!!!!!!

gken1
Legend
Legend

Post by gken1 »

and if there is no pride involved how come the BBRC hasn't come out and said "we made a mistake"

and if it's not a mistake why are there already proposals among the BBRC to change it?

Munkey

Post by Munkey »

It's not well liked but then neither was the old WA. I'm not a fan personally but I don't think the BBRC made a mistake with this rule.

In hindsight maybe they should have made it experimental instead but there was enough dislike of the old version that there was some pressure to make the change now. Just as there appears to be with this version too i guess :-?

[size=75]The short answer is "no", but it is a qualified "no" because there are odd ways of interpreting the question which could justify the answer "yes".[/size]
gken1
Legend
Legend

Post by gken1 »

yeah but they have a very acceptable solution right now. they made a mistake rushing a rule, so they should fix it. I wouldn't want the same thing to happen next October either.

Pregal
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Pregal »

Ok, the new Wild Animal rule is not so good as hoped for. But I believe that waiting till octobre is the best idea cause indeed as mentioned above I would made sure nobody keeps complaining about a rule that should change with all the problems that would involve etc. This way everybody knows how everything works when dealing with new rules.
BTW Gken1, relax a bit, it's a game, no need to get so serious over it.

Winner of the Mega Gaming Day 2003 Bloodbowl Tournament (Netherlands) and now a proud owner of a new Necromantic Team, woohoo!
gken1
Legend
Legend

Post by gken1 »

it just get's me a little stirred up when a bbrc member (i'm not talking about galak...he's innocent for now :) )says to house rule a rule they just came out with....with no playtesting and basically tells us we have to live with it for 10 months. no apology, no saying hey we screwed up.

Circular_Logic
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Circular_Logic »

If we are all expected to houserule the game as we like, why is there a LRB??
And at least I´m not the only one who isn´t able to easily houserule stuff as he likes... Yep... there are indeed people who are stuck with the LRB and thus complaining, that such a screwed rule should be changed ASAP.
In my opinion they should have kept the old ruling and maybe adding the possibility to skip the WAs turn to avoid traps.... but I have stated this often enough.
And I really think there may be some pride-issue... because when you say to them, that the rule has not the effect, the BBRC wanted (improving WA by removing the traps), and that the new WA sucks for obvious reasons (becoming useless against nearly any team, as they can either dodge away or bring it down), they just reply: If you don´t like the rule, house-rule it!
Somehow the assume, that on this board there are only league-commishs.... but I have to admit: I am not. :oops:

Früher hasste ich es zu Hochzeiten zu gehen. Tanten und großmütterliche Bekannte kamen zu mir, pieksten mich in die Seite, lachten und sagten:"Du bist der Nächste." Sie haben mit dem Scheiss aufgehört als ich anfing, auf Beerdigungen das gleiche zu tun.